New 2023 Classic 5.7 lifter/engine noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neilr5515

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Classic
Engine
Hey Guys,
New 23 Classic 5.7 owner. I’ve noticed the truck has a tick while at hot idle. Mainly on the drivers side wheel well and underneath the truck. Can’t really hear it in engine bay. Can hear it when just standing near the truck or when window is down. It also seems to get louder at around 1500rpm as well then clears up after that.

Truck has 3500km on it. Mainly just wanting information of whether it is a normal hemi noise or if it’s the beginning of possible engine problems. I changed the factory fill at 2500km with Valvoline advanced 0w20 which didn’t help then tried Valvoline synthetic 5w30 at 3000km which also didn’t make a difference. Oil pressure cruising 49-52psi and hot idle 35psi in park. Truck seems to run great with lots of power just seems noisier than other Hemi engines. (I see quite a few at work).

On a side note I also cut open the factory oil filter after the service and found quite a bit of metal in the oil. I know new engines will shed metal but not sure if this is too much?

Attachments

• IMG_4580.jpeg
    IMG_4580.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 23

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
after the next oil change, would you consider sending a sample in for testing?

Wolverine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also a new 5.7 driver, a 2022 with 22,000 miles (35,000km), and it sounds the same as yours. I agree that it's louder by the tires rather than over the engine/under the hood. I'm paranoid and have been trying to locate a cause/reading this forum about manifold tick, injector tick, lifters. Let me know what happens. Thanks.

OP
OP
N

Neilr5515

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Classic
Engine
I'm also a new 5.7 driver, a 2022 with 22,000 miles (35,000km), and it sounds the same as yours. I agree that it's louder by the tires rather than over the engine/under the hood. I'm paranoid and have been trying to locate a cause/reading this forum about manifold tick, injector tick, lifters. Let me know what happens. Thanks.
Have you had yours looked at? Did the dealer say anything? I showed mine the picture of the oil and mentioned noise but they didn’t seem concerned. Either way it has warranty for a reason. It’s just annoying when you show someone your new truck and it’s just ticking away lol.

I will most likely send a sample into blackstone when I change this oil at around 10000km. Which would be roughly 7000km on the oil. That should tell me if there is any unusual wear happening.

I don’t think mine is exhaust or injectors as the exhaust seems quiet at startup, however it does have some weird exhaust resonance going on, kind of reminds me of a 6.4 at startup. And injectors I can hear in the engine bay clicking. Mine is more tick tick tick sounding.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'd recommend starting the life of your new HEMI's with quality oil like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 synthetic with a 15oz bottle of Bio/Tech LubeGard at every oil change.

Or, you can go all in a opt for Red Line High Performance 5W30 or High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30, but they are very expensive oils. But you also wouldn't need to add a bottle of the LubeGard in at every oil change either.

And look to either the Fram XG2 or Royal Purple 20-820 oil filter (if you can still find these ones..)

Keep your oil change intervals at 6,000Km's to 7,000Km's as well.

Try to keep your idling to a minimum, too ;)

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That sounds like every other hemi on stock oil to me. As recommended already, you can try a premium oil and see if that helps, my engine certainly sounds much better now then it did on dealer oil.

Here is my engine, ignore the faint and random exhaust pipe contraction "click"s at the end.

sixback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys,
New 23 Classic 5.7 owner. I’ve noticed the truck has a tick while at hot idle. Mainly on the drivers side wheel well and underneath the truck. Can’t really hear it in engine bay. Can hear it when just standing near the truck or when window is down. It also seems to get louder at around 1500rpm as well then clears up after that.

Truck has 3500km on it. Mainly just wanting information of whether it is a normal hemi noise or if it’s the beginning of possible engine problems. I changed the factory fill at 2500km with Valvoline advanced 0w20 which didn’t help then tried Valvoline synthetic 5w30 at 3000km which also didn’t make a difference. Oil pressure cruising 49-52psi and hot idle 35psi in park. Truck seems to run great with lots of power just seems noisier than other Hemi engines. (I see quite a few at work).

On a side note I also cut open the factory oil filter after the service and found quite a bit of metal in the oil. I know new engines will shed metal but not sure if this is too much?

Use a real OEM Oil Filter or Mobile 1 Filter. Same manufacturer. If your oil pressure drops below 30 psi your VVT will malfunction and throw codes

OP
OP
N

Neilr5515

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Classic
Engine
I appreciate the responses and will definitely try some oils after the dealer looks at if they don’t find anything. I’ll keep the forum updated with what happens. I’ve booked the truck into my local dealer where I purchased the truck. I showed a video and the picture of the oil filter and they want to see it considering it only has 3500km on it. Passenger side wheel well is normal and quiet but drivers is loud. Here’s an updated video from today where the noise is seeming to get worse.