New 2500 Tradesman with clunk/rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firstram1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I traded my '17 Ram Mega Cab in for a '19 and have had the rattling that sounds like it is coming from behind the backseat since I drove it off the lot. I went through everything inside and underneath of the truck securing everything that could create a rattle and it is still there. I mounted a GoPro under the truck filming the left c pillar cab mount, is this the same noise that everyone else is hearing?

That’s the sound I have exactly! Now hopefully Mark from Ram cares can show this to FCA and get this fixed. Come on RAM! How does this happen on a brand new 60k + truck!

Also figure out this clunk in the front end posted above!

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First ram no offense but that video/sounds is horrible

Firstram1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
First ram no offense but that video/sounds is horrible

Yup, not just me. A lot of posts about this as well. Dealer couldn’t replicate when I took it in. From what I’ve been reading this clunk is related to the A-pillar cab mounts.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I mean the quality of the sound not sure what we r listening for lol... Try another video lol

Firstram1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ahh. Lol. It’s posted in the thread that’s actually about that issue as well...

Anyways, as I just posted in another thread, that rattle noise video really looks like the bolt is too long. The mount doesn’t seem compressed at all.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shorter or correct sized Billy would done this maybe? Chime in engineer at fca

OP
OP
Tim G 2019

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There have been enough owners who have complained about this exact noise. This is not something new and platitudes about helping with your dealer is simply inadequate. FCA must step up and get a fix for this. Help us, please. We are loyal and patient, but there's a limit.

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have some sound to my clicking from back seat.

Audio isnt the best and it sounds different in person but you get the idea..

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My servicing dealer finally had the parts to perform the transmission reacall so I took it in for the cab rattle, they did the transmission and and emission recall but failed to find the cab rattle. I remained hopeful that there would have been some resolution but the outcome was as expected.

There was a detailed description of the "cab rattle" upon dropping the vehicle off but in the technicians response they torqued the bed supports and the noise was still present. Then states that the small tool box that I keep my tow strap, hitch adapters and etc. was removed from the bed and the noise was gone. This box does indeed makes some noise occasionally coming off of a speed bump but is not the noise described or in the location given, that same box has been riding around in the same spot for nine years in four different trucks and the other three trucks didn't rattle like this one.

My advisor went to speak to the tech and have him ride with me to hear what I am hearing but he was apparently ******* and couldn't break free. He did however mention to the advisor that I have aftermarket suspension components, I knew where that conversation was going. I have Fox 2.0 shocks and a set of airbags on the rear axle, these parts have been on my 2015, 2017 and now this truck. Again those trucks didn't rattle and this one does and did before I put the parts on.

After a ride with the advisor he wants me to bring the truck back in so that they can further look into it. He also mentioned opening a Star case to get Chrysler involved because as of now he says there are no TSB's or correspondence from them to the dealer network.

Hopefully the outcome is more favorable the second time around, the first swing was definitely a strike.........

2020-06-12-13-00-55.jpg

2020-06-12-13-01-27.jpg

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gulf coast. They told me basically same thing but they know of the rattle and it is a known thing going on and FCA is involved in coming up with a new design I guess idk but my dealer is well aware of the issue with mine and others can replicate it but can't fix it at this time there is no fix. I will update if mine does get fixed with whatever new comes out and I am hopeful others on here will too. Stay tuned

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I read of your findings when you had yours in so I wasn't expecting it to fixed at this point but wanted it to be acknowledged and documented that the problem exists. Hopefully their team will all get on the same page on the next visit when I take it back in about a week. I had also advised them that other people in the forums said that FCA was aware of the issue but they never reached out to them.

OP
OP
Tim G 2019

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Mine just turned 6k miles. I don't know if its the warmer weather or something "wore in" but my rattle has subsided. I've done nothing to the truck and no suspension or tires. It always was worse in colder weather and was better when it rained and the underside was wet. The dealer had gotten it stopped at one point but today only lasted a month and it was back. I just gave up and decided to live with it. And now, without knowing why - it is gone. Hell if I know. I still think they know what's going on and won't commit to a recall. I also think is related to the liquid-filled cab mounts. Hopefully the new model buyers have better luck and it's been changed or upgraded

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So when I picked up my truck from Ram I got a chance to talk to tech and he showed me the I guess what is a star case? and a thread or forum the techs are a part of and he confirmed it is a know issue pinpointed to the pass side rear cab mounts.

This is what they wrote:

"The rattle is coming from rear cab mounts. due to design oversight the center spacer tube rattles up and down against the top mounting plate portion of the mount and until a redesign of the mount is available this noise will not be able to be fixed."

"tried removing the lower black washer with the dimples and placing it on top with the dimples down to seperate the center spacer from the cab. Then we reinstalled the bolt with 2 washers between the center spacer and the large washer on the bolt. We were trying to clamp the center spacer between the silver top cap and the bolt. Still didn't change the concern. With the mount being fluid filled I can't remove the the center spacer to cut it down. Agreed that a redesigned mount is needed."

"wondering if this was the same issue for the star case that disappeared for a rattle at the A lar and they wanted you to replace front cab mounts.I am getting no where with star on concern they think the wrong mount was installed in location of rear of cab, knowing they are physically different mounts from the other mounts on cab."

"finally after 3rd revision of rear cab mounts the noise is no longer present"

Not sure what 3rd revision is but would love to find out. Hopefully my tech/dealer will find out and let me know if and when a redesign or fix is present.

OP
OP
Tim G 2019

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That sounds like it's right. My service advisor said the electronic ears were pinpointing the noise to that rear cab mount. I asked if Gen4 mounts could be substituted but no answer. It's maddening and guys are getting little relief. I think your write up is the best one on the forum to identify the problem. I guess we wait and hope they figure it out

Cummins3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Of we all stay on them and repost here we they hopefully will buckle and come up with solution.... One tech said rev. 3 solved it but noone knows what rev. 3 is..

GulfCoastRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So when I picked up my truck from Ram I got a chance to talk to tech and he showed me the I guess what is a star case? and a thread or forum the techs are a part of and he confirmed it is a know issue pinpointed to the pass side rear cab mounts.

This is what they wrote:

"The rattle is coming from rear cab mounts. due to design oversight the center spacer tube rattles up and down against the top mounting plate portion of the mount and until a redesign of the mount is available this noise will not be able to be fixed."

"tried removing the lower black washer with the dimples and placing it on top with the dimples down to seperate the center spacer from the cab. Then we reinstalled the bolt with 2 washers between the center spacer and the large washer on the bolt. We were trying to clamp the center spacer between the silver top cap and the bolt. Still didn't change the concern. With the mount being fluid filled I can't remove the the center spacer to cut it down. Agreed that a redesigned mount is needed."

"wondering if this was the same issue for the star case that disappeared for a rattle at the A lar and they wanted you to replace front cab mounts.I am getting no where with star on concern they think the wrong mount was installed in location of rear of cab, knowing they are physically different mounts from the other mounts on cab."

"finally after 3rd revision of rear cab mounts the noise is no longer present"

Not sure what 3rd revision is but would love to find out. Hopefully my tech/dealer will find out and let me know if and when a redesign or fix is present.

Thank you for the insight, I have emailed my advisor and copied to see if they will follow up with FCA without having to make another trip to them and leave the vehicle there for another week with no resolution.

Richo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Hemi
Engine
Has there been any update to resolve the rattle? Thanks

OP
OP
Tim G 2019

Tim G 2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No resolution. I got tired of leaving my truck there about half the first few months I owned it. Trying hard to just ignore it but it makes me mad every time it rattles. I can't understand why they can't resolve this when they know what it is.

Ironic story - FCA gave me three years of free full synthetic oil changes for all the aggravation. I took it to the dealer for the first one. I picked it up when it was done and when I got home, three of the four center caps (hubcaps) were missing. They didn't tap them on tight enough and they must have flown off on the interstate on my way home.

They ordered me new ones and I put them on myself, using a soft rubbet mallet. They've been on there ever since. It's enough to try my patience.

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi folks. I signed in having just seen a video of this problem on Youtube. Been kicking it for awhile, not wanting problems. I looked and sure enough "GulfCoastRam" member is here and posted that very video, his video, the one I saw. Way to go GCR since they can't dispute this issue now. That GoPro is good for something.

I took my truck in before the lock down virus stuff and had them "fix it". Tech tightened the nuts and said, "there you go, no more problem". Still not fixed but at least I have it documented, "first contact" for legal purposes, at 1500 miles. Again, I just got this truck through a settlement with FCA. I don't think this rises to the same level as what I just went through, couple of years, but if they don't fix it eventually it will. Hate to see them buying back trucks for something as dumb as this. My word do I hate Stericycle.

Again, thanks GulfCoastRam for such a good job documenting this. It will come in handy.

Tim G, I just noticed you above this post. Guess I'm still screwed if you're still having problems with them. Sounds typical about your repair at the dealer. I'm trying to be a little patient with FCA on a fix since they as with everyone has been struggling with shut downs. Also, having gone through hell the last time with my last truck I'm waiting this one a bit. I know the ropes now though and it's very important that everyone go in and document "first contact" with as low of mileage on this issue as you can. It's how the buyback formula is calculated and if you wait too long you'll be surprised how much you'll lose, so do it now. I did it at 1500 miles so not too bad.

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To all, assume this problem is more widespread than you think. Modern parts production and an assigned part number proves that out. Assume there's a lot of folks hearing this clunk but are ignoring it or think, like I did, it was the seat belt mechanism in the rear pillars. Keep up the pressure and with 16 pages here it will eventually get more widespread.