New 2nd Gen Owner - To Do List Check In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

exiLe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)
If I'm understanding that right, you move the shifter to where it's indicating the gear lower than you're in, then it's a simple fix. Under the steering column is the knee bolster. A few screws and it pops off. Then on the steering column you should see a little piece with a metal wire going to it. Not like electric wire. Its the wire that connects to the shifter. You get that off of the steering column and there's a gear in there you adjust to move the indicator. I wish I could go more in detail but it's been a while.

Also.. nice looking Genesis. 3.8 or 2.0?

Genesis is a 3.8 GDI. Full bolt ons currently at 400+ BHP after the turbo kit is installed I'll be at 550+.

I need to move the shifter to 1 gear lower than I want and it'll clunk into the proper gear. I then and move the shifter until the indicator is back into the original intended gear and it's fine. When I move the shifter back into the intended gear the gear doesn't change at all. So...

To get into D I move the shifter to 2, it clunks into D, then I move the shifter back to D (to make my OCD happy) and keep on driving.

Is this the solution to the problem I described?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That sounds more like the linkage on the trans more than anything but i may be wrong.

OP
OP
E

exiLe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)
I'm thinking its a linkage issue as well. Is there 2 separate linkages - 1 in the steering column and 1 in the trans or is there only one shifting linkage like I originally thought?

Ps - had the exhaust manifolds looked at today and they're not leaking so I'm pretty sure the ticking noise under acceleration is a lifter. The mechanic said the manifolds were actually replaced a bit ago as he could see the manifolds were newer as were the bolts. It's definitely not a rod knock.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There sort of is two linkages. What you need to do is to slide under the truck while someone is up topside working the shifter.

Can you get a video?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Sounds like the trans linkage. That would also be why you can't start it in Park. The shifter cannot move the trans into park far enough. The P/N switch is the same circuit for park and neutral so it can't be bad if it works in one gear but not the other...fyi

OP
OP
E

exiLe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)
Probably can't get a video - no one around to help me with that for a while.

How much would I be looking at ball park to have someone adjust the linkage properly? Is it a big job or pretty easy to do?

Any advice on quieting up these lifters under acceleration?

OP
OP
E

exiLe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)
Well, I got the fender flares on after treating the rust spots thoroughly. They came out ok, can't complain considering the mileage on the truck really.

Before:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429455294.459095.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429455310.265552.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429455319.901975.jpg

After:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429455331.941663.jpg

Is it done the right way? No, probably not, but it at least improves the look of the truck until I break down and decide to buy new fenders and a new bed. Lol.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Probably can't get a video - no one around to help me with that for a while.

How much would I be looking at ball park to have someone adjust the linkage properly? Is it a big job or pretty easy to do?

Any advice on quieting up these lifters under acceleration?

Try a can of MMO in the motor oil, after that try a good dino oil 5w-30 or go syn oil 5-40

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I must've missed that question, a bit of ATF helped quiet my dads lifters down. Followed of course by an oil change

OP
OP
E

exiLe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)
Try a can of MMO in the motor oil, after that try a good dino oil 5w-30 or go syn oil 5-40

I'm running a full synethtic Valvoline 5W-30 currently. After talking with dodgedude94 I may switch to Rotella 5W-40. Also, MMO? What is that?

I must've missed that question, a bit of ATF helped quiet my dads lifters down. Followed of course by an oil change

I've read about tossing in some ATF+4 into the oil but I don't know how much to toss in there. I'm not even sure it's the lifters to be honest.

Wouldn't the lifters cause noise even at idle? Cause at idle and RPMs below 1.5K there's no clicking noise.

I didn't even think to use zip ties... I just used self tapping screws on the good metal I could find in the wheel wells lol.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Of course dodgedude convinced you to go with rotella lol.
I wanna say we just put a quart of atf in.
And yeah I think they would cause noise at idle. So Idk. I'm no expert

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You could let it try and leak/burn through a little bit of oil before topping off with ATF.

As for lifter noise, no, only when you've got a low oil level or pressure situation will you hear them clatter at idle. I used to have noisy lifters myself and it was a pressure issue due to excessive junk in the oiling system

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ah. Apparently he knows more than me when it comes to noisy lifters. Lol. I only had noisy lifters once. Well.. it was a really noisy lifter. Mainly because it dropped..

OP
OP
E

exiLe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318ci)
You could let it try and leak/burn through a little bit of oil before topping off with ATF.

As for lifter noise, no, only when you've got a low oil level or pressure situation will you hear them clatter at idle. I used to have noisy lifters myself and it was a pressure issue due to excessive junk in the oiling system

I'll check the oil next time I fill up here (which will be soon) and see where the oil level sits. Every time I've checked it thus far there has been no oil burning issues so idk if I'll ever have extra room for ATF lol.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum