New Coilovers with 6 Inch BDS lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can’t remember but did you have yours custom tuned or regular bds valving on them? Mine didn’t really have a break in time. They were soft off the bat and still feel exactly the same with about 1500 miles on them.
I didn't end up doing the custom valving. Just have the dsc set at the lowest setting

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing I did forget to ask about, I had a hell of a time trying to get grease in the cup valves for the lca bj. I couldn't get any in the passenger ger side and only a little in the driver side. It was super frustrating and I gave up. Any have any tips? I tried with the truck on the stands and wheels off. I can't imagine trying now lol

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the icon coilovers and do basically no off-roading right now. They are definitely firm on the interstate and on street driving. According the to @crazykid1994 the fox 2.5 coilovers are much plusher than my icons (he has ridden in my truck and seen how the icons feel prior to buying his fox)

My opinion of the icon coilovers is that they are similar to the forks on a Dirtbike setup for super cross vs setup for trail riding. Firm and take a lot more energy to blow through the stroke but absorb harsh and high speed impact well. I chose the icons as an upgrade from the eibach strut/spring combo just because I wanted a 2.5 coilover which to my understanding has larger holes in the valving allowing for more tuning/ oil movement than a 2.0 coilover but I don’t do enough off-roading to justify the cost for the fox coilovers with a res.
However were I in your situation with a significant other who needs as soft a ride as you can get I would absolutely not hesitate to throw these icon out and get custom valved king/fox 2.5s
That’s why I have the WP cone valves on my ktm 450 lol, I want the big impact bottoming resistance and am willing to sacrifice a little on the crust as I call it. AEO here in AZ hooks it up, you win the best analogy award ever on this thread at least for me haha

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didn't end up doing the custom valving. Just have the dsc set at the lowest setting
Hi, I'm taking this post of yours again because I'm curious to understand how you solved the leveling of your ram.
The bds kit offers 5" rear springs and front with the fox 2.5 you get a maximum of 6" ( 4 + 2 with this coilovers).
In my ram 2016 laramie the rake is almost 2" , so with that kit there would still be 1" of difference between back and front , I wanted to know if you were satisfied with the result or if you made any changes to level it perfectly,

Bye and thanks for the answers !

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I'm taking this post of yours again because I'm curious to understand how you solved the leveling of your ram.
The bds kit offers 5" rear springs and front with the fox 2.5 you get a maximum of 6" ( 4 + 2 with this coilovers).
In my ram 2016 laramie the rake is almost 2" , so with that kit there would still be 1" of difference between back and front , I wanted to know if you were satisfied with the result or if you made any changes to level it perfectly,

Bye and thanks for the answers !
I have the 5" rear bds coils and the fox 2.5 I got lifted the front 2 inches. There was quite a rake before but it looks level now. I am very happy with the results. Makes the truck look a bit more tough and I still have about a quarter inch to eighth inch of clearance to 7 ft.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the 5" rear bds coils and the fox 2.5 I got lifted the front 2 inches. There was quite a rake before but it looks level now. I am very happy with the results. Makes the truck look a bit more tough and I still have about a quarter inch to eighth inch of clearance to 7 ft.
Yes yes I know your configuration, I have read all the 3d, I would like to do the same for my ram in some time and I was wondering if you had satisfied this configuration.
Actually I have the 1" eibach springs rear and the bilstein 5100s in front with the 2.25" eibach springs and there is still a bit of a rake but it's not annoying to the eye.
May I ask how is driving everyday sitting about 6 inches and those fox shoks all around?
If you can, would you send me some photos also with a private message or if you want, put them here, to see your truck from various angles, how did it look aesthetically?

Why having the bds kit you have not also installed their upper arms ?

Thank you so much !

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ho le bobine bds posteriori da 5" e la volpe 2.5 ho alzato la parte anteriore di 2 pollici. Prima c'era un bel rastrello, ma ora sembra a livello. Sono molto contento dei risultati. Fa sembrare il camion un po' più robusto e io hanno ancora da un quarto di pollice a un ottavo di pollice di spazio libero a 7 piedi.

Ecco un paio di foto dell'installazioneView attachment 514716
View attachment 514717
hi, sorry I was doing a search and with that part number (883-06-073) they had to provide you with the fox 2.5 with dsc but the factory model, instead they sent you the ones with the orange tank which are the superior version for offroad racing. Did you request an upgrade or did I miss something in the posts?

Attachments

• fox.jpg
    fox.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes yes I know your configuration, I have read all the 3d, I would like to do the same for my ram in some time and I was wondering if you had satisfied this configuration.
Actually I have the 1" eibach springs rear and the bilstein 5100s in front with the 2.25" eibach springs and there is still a bit of a rake but it's not annoying to the eye.
May I ask how is driving everyday sitting about 6 inches and those fox shoks all around?
If you can, would you send me some photos also with a private message or if you want, put them here, to see your truck from various angles, how did it look aesthetically?

Why having the bds kit you have not also installed their upper arms ?

Thank you so much !
It rides great, not a lot of difference on the day to day, but definitely noticeable on gravel roads and potholes. I'll have to take some pictures and post them later.
hi, sorry I was doing a search and with that part number (883-06-073) they had to provide you with the fox 2.5 with dsc but the factory model, instead they sent you the ones with the orange tank which are the superior version for offroad racing. Did you request an upgrade or did I miss something in the posts?
I did not request anything special, that's just what they sent me. I ordered from shock surplus af the time as they were $300 cheaper and offer %25 off rebuild costs if bought through them. Looking at their site now, they do show the orange and black ones whereas they showed the silver and blue ones prior.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's some pics. Sorry it took so long, been busy and had rain. Note that the truck is not sitting on level ground. The rear does sit a smidgen lower on the driveway. I tried to take the pictures level but was a little off. At least included the edge of the driveway so you could tilt the picture a tad bit as if the driveway were level. Looks pretty level on level ground.
20230802_101001.jpg20230802_100950.jpg20230802_100938.jpg

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's my notes on before and after measurements if you're interested. I took height measurements using a long level on the roof with a digital distance laser measurer. Wheel well distances by using tape measurer. I also did measure the rear as I replaced the old fox 2.0s in back with the same thing.

Low profile Antenna adds .25"
Current strut is 19.5" and has 5" spacer
Height now 6'10.625"
Height from the top of the fin lifted 2 inches 6'11 19/32"
AFTER height from top of the fin 6'11.75"
Stock height from the top the fin 6'11 3/16"

All measurements to mid bottom of flare or oem wheel well.
Back passenger
Floor to flare 46"
Tire top to flare 10.75"
After floor to flare 46"

Front passenger
Floor to flare 42 15/16"
Tire top to flare 8"bin
After floor to flare 45.5"
After Tire top to flare 10 5/8 "

Back driver
Floor to flare 45.625"
Floor to oem fender 46"

Tire top to flare 10.375"
Tire top to owm flare 10.625"
After Tire top to flare 10.375"

Front Driver
Floor to flare 43.25"
Tire top to flare 8.125"
After Tire top to flare 10.5"

Shock 30.0625" eye to eye
31.75 overall

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also worth noting, I used to get some wheel well rub with even trimmed with the wheel full turned in reverse going over bumps, happened backing into the driveway. Absolutely no clearance issues now. Males me wonder how 40s would look as the front well has way more space than what I've been used to for the past 5 years lol.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also worth noting, I used to get some wheel well rub with even trimmed with the wheel full turned in reverse going over bumps, happened backing into the driveway. Absolutely no clearance issues now. Males me wonder how 40s would look as the front well has way more space than what I've been used to for the past 5 years lol.
40’s opens up a whole other can of worms than just looks. Regearing and better braking would be necessary, not to mention 40’s are not kind to half ton components etc.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
40’s opens up a whole other can of worms than just looks. Regearing and better braking would be necessary, not to mention 40’s are not kind to half ton components etc.
Fair enough, just a passing thought, not a serious idea.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It rides great, not a lot of difference on the day to day, but definitely noticeable on gravel roads and potholes. I'll have to take some pictures and post them later.

I did not request anything special, that's just what they sent me. I ordered from shock surplus af the time as they were $300 cheaper and offer %25 off rebuild costs if bought through them. Looking at their site now, they do show the orange and black ones whereas they showed the silver and blue ones prior.
Please explain 1 step to me. If you mounted the old shocks in front you had to hook the 5" spacer in the head, instead you used the fox 2.5 dsc which are 4" longer than the traditional shocks and then you gave the 2" of additional height with the fox adjustment to get to 6 total? I didn't understand if you put the 5" spacer also on the foxes ... Or are these fox 2.5s the ones that bds has built specifically for its kits and are already 4" tall and have that additional 0-2" adjustment?

Icona di Verificata con community

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please explain 1 step to me. If you mounted the old shocks in front you had to hook the 5" spacer in the head, instead you used the fox 2.5 dsc which are 4" longer than the traditional shocks and then you gave the 2" of additional height with the fox adjustment to get to 6 total? I didn't understand if you put the 5" spacer also on the foxes ... Or are these fox 2.5s the ones that bds has built specifically for its kits and are already 4" tall and have that additional 0-2" adjustment?

View attachment 525775
These are the fox's BDS had built for the 6 inch lift kit and are 4 inches taller and provide 0 to 2 inches of adjustment. I know the numbers seem wonkity, but it works and I didn't adjust the height on the coilovers at all. I also got some bad information and bought a half inch spacer anticipating needed to put it on top of the shocks, which was not needed and would have resulted me in being nose high. I also almost returned these shocks and went with the ones that would have required me to put the BDS spacer ontop of. I'm so glad I didn't. The numbers weren't making sense to me and it was driving me crazy. Luckily I PMed @Quick_Shifter for his expertise and he assured me what I had was the right setup for my goals and to just install and adjust later if necessary. It was spot on.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
These are the fox's BDS had built for the 6 inch lift kit and are 4 inches taller and provide 0 to 2 inches of adjustment. I know the numbers seem wonkity, but it works and I didn't adjust the height on the coilovers at all. I also got some bad information and bought a half inch spacer anticipating needed to put it on top of the shocks, which was not needed and would have resulted me in being nose high. I also almost returned these shocks and went with the ones that would have required me to put the BDS spacer ontop of. I'm so glad I didn't. The numbers weren't making sense to me and it was driving me crazy. Luckily I PMed @Quick_Shifter for his expertise and he assured me what I had was the right setup for my goals and to just install and adjust later if necessary. It was spot on.
I wrote a pvt msg to @Quick_Shifter and I hope it can clarify my doubts.
I'd like to make a 4" lift kit with 3" rear springs and fox 2.5 up front set at 5" total. I can't fit tires bigger than 35" so a 4" lift will fit very good for my ram.
I'd like to save money to buying ZoneOffroad 4" kit,( instead bds 6" ) with zone upper arms but the Fox 2.5s are not an option on the Zone website.

I'm waiting for advice on buying, I want to understand if I'm forced to buy the 6" bds kit to have those cursed fox 2.5 longer than 4" and with the adjustment from 0 to 2" :-( to realize a perfect setup 3" rear and 5" front to lift and level

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool, good luck. Post back the results, I'm sure you won't be the last with the same desires or questions

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
In my opinion, the truly perfect configuration would be to have a 4" spring at the rear and the fox 2.5 to a maximum of 2" of additional height to get 6" on front . In doing so, the truck would be perfectly leveled. Both bds and zone brands they offer 3" or 5" springs. I understood that the rest of the components are identical. I have already done several tests on my truck and with a 1" difference between the back and the front, there is still a lot of rake and I don't like it, so what could I do to get 4" behind ? Will I be forced to put a 1" spacer on top to the 3" springs that sells bds or zones ?

thanks for whoever replies

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion, the truly perfect configuration would be to have a 4" spring at the rear and the fox 2.5 to a maximum of 2" of additional height to get 6" on front . In doing so, the truck would be perfectly leveled. Both bds and zone brands they offer 3" or 5" springs. I understood that the rest of the components are identical. I have already done several tests on my truck and with a 1" difference between the back and the front, there is still a lot of rake and I don't like it, so what could I do to get 4" behind ? Will I be forced to put a 1" spacer on top to the 3" springs that sells bds or zones ?

thanks for whoever replies
The truck is level with the setup I have. I know I racked my brain forever on the math but you can't just do simple math due to compression and what not. If you look at my measurements, front and back ground to oem fender middle measurements are the same between front and back except for half an inch on one side which could have just been my measurement error, uneven tire wear, or needing some settling.

I think you would end up nose high with 4 inches in back. You could go with the 5 inchers and cut them down a smidgen if needed. Not ideal, but that could save some money and hassle with returns.

minotto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi guys, I'm revisiting the post because I decided to upgrade after various experiments with the Bilsteins which didn't leave me satisfied and I also want to lift a bit more my ram and make it very cool !

I decided to purchase the 4" zone kit with the following features:

For the rear:
3" springs + FOX 2.0 Adv Series IFP Shock - FOX98450757 (X2)

At the front I will not use the 5" strut supplied but I will install this coilovers fox :
FACTORY RACE SERIES 2.5 COIL-OVER RESERVOIR SHOCK (PAIR) - ADJUSTABLE. 4-6" 883-06-073

The foxes without any adjustment already give 4" of height, I want to adjust them to have an additional 1" and reach 5" (do you know how many turns with the key you need to give to the upper collar with the holes to have 1" of the maximum 2" of extension available ? )

I want to understand if you recommend me to buy the Zone upper arms or I can use the stock ones or is it better to change them with some other brand that has better characteristics, also for the lower arms which could be slightly worn (I accept advice)

I want to try this configuration with 3" at the rear and 4.5 or 5" at the front and race with my 33" wheels which are still in excellent condition...later on if the wheels seem too small switch to 35/12.5r20.

The shop that will have to carry out the work will purchase in the United States so any message with a personalized quote and further advice on some parts that I might need to improve the ram is welcome.

Thanks all

Attachments

• Schermata 2024-02-18 alle 17.47.29.png
    Schermata 2024-02-18 alle 17.47.29.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Schermata 2024-02-18 alle 17.48.50.png
    Schermata 2024-02-18 alle 17.48.50.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 2