New comer looking for advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dcon86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2L
Hey guys. So I have a 99' Ram 1500 5.2 318. The last couple of weeks I've experienced loss of oil pressure, and sometimes a slight knock. When the oil pressure dropped, I would turn the truck back on and drive it home. So this weekend I replaced the oil pump and the pick-up tube. After priming the pump, I took it for a drive and the knock became progressively worse. It is now constant, and is more dominant on the passenger side than the drivers. I was thinking it could be a main bearing, but also it could be a rod, or a rod bearing. I am frustrated and am hesitating pulling a wrong piece if I do not need to.

So far this is my list of things to be checked:

o Cam shaft bearing
o Intake gasket
o Piston cylinder rod
o Valley Pate
o Other bearings
o Risk Pins
o Distributor drive shaft
o Cam shaft thrust plate
o Connecting rod bearing
o Main bearing ( known to drop oil pressure at high rpm when going bad, or bad)
o Block heater
o Cylinder Bores
o Cylinder head
o Rod Bearing
o Possible problem spun bearing, or piston is hitting the head
o Cracked or broken skirt?
o Pin boss?
o Torque converter to flex plates loose?
o piston or piston ring cracked?

Am I on the right track? What do you guys suggest?

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
First determine exactly where the knocking is coming from. Lower or upper? Could it be lifters? or are you sure it is bottom end?
If it is bottom end all you can do is pull the pan & start checking rod & main bearings.
But if it is rods or mains you most likely will need to pull the engine & rebuild or replace.