New Dodge Ram Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodo41

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Everyone -

I just purchased my first Dodge Ram and I'm really excited. I bought a 2017 Dodge Ram Express, crewcab, 4WD, Hemi 5.7, all black/night edition. I'm really loving it so far. For the first time when buying a used vehicle I took it to the mechanic to do a pre-purchase vehicle inspection ($48 well spent for me) and confirmed that it was in solid shape with no issues before buying. It drives really nice.

I have one question for you all about snow tires.

The tires on my truck are 20 x 8 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. There is a decent amount of tread left. I'm curious how these will do in (non-heavy) snow conditions and ice. I live in Nampa, ID (just outside of Boise in the Treasure Valley) and we get about 9" of snow per year.

I'm leaning toward getting snow tires. Thoughts? Also, have any of you done tire siping?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Attachments

• Ram 1500.JPG
    Ram 1500.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 8

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
welcome, look at the Nitto Terra Grappler G2.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome! My SRA's did not fair well in the snow/ice we had in February. Nitto/Toyo would be my pics. I am hoping we get some more ice or snow this year so that I can test my Toyos.

Dan90

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome! In my experience the factory wrangler SR-A's are pretty crappy tires... They wear fast and don't perform well in inclement weather (even rain).... You'd be better off just swapping them out for a solid all season tire.

If you are OK spending the money, put snow tires on now and all seasons come spring.

Elvira

Reaction score
You won't like the SRA in any weather other than a nice sunny day, then they will have to have lots of tread on them still to be any good. I have had the nitto terra grappler, excellent tire and long lasting, but heavy and not a good fuel savings tire. I now have Cooper at3 4s, they have been an excellent tire in the rain and the snow, quiet and smooth running. Outline lettering if you like that, but the tire itself is a great product. i am in Canada, we get our share of snow, but the best part was the price, very reasonable. They are owned by Good Year tire, so if you are thinking Cooper, who are they... Unless you do lots of off roading, i wouldn't go too crazy with tread, but you don't need snows either. The Cooper are an all terrain tire, so give them a look before you decide. You can always do an all season, personally I still regard an all season as a summer tire. I also did the all terrain because i didn't want to invest in 2 sets of tires, summer and winter...i run the Coopers 12 months of the year.

Attachments

• Cooper at3 4s.jpg
    Cooper at3 4s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in the panhandle and get a lot more snow than you as well as ice, we have nasty freeze thaw cycles. Your area doesn’t see a lot of snow and the snow you do see is a lot dryer. With that said I do run a dedicated snow tire on a second set of wheels. Plus I’m a snow skiing freak and travel to chase powder. Honestly if I were you I would look at a good all season tire such as Falken Wildpeaks, BFG KO2’s etc.

Ramsoso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't like the SRA in any weather other than a nice sunny day, then they will have to have lots of tread on them still to be any good. I have had the nitto terra grappler, excellent tire and long lasting, but heavy and not a good fuel savings tire. I now have Cooper at3 4s, they have been an excellent tire in the rain and the snow, quiet and smooth running. Outline lettering if you like that, but the tire itself is a great product. i am in Canada, we get our share of snow, but the best part was the price, very reasonable. They are owned by Good Year tire, so if you are thinking Cooper, who are they... Unless you do lots of off roading, i wouldn't go too crazy with tread, but you don't need snows either. The Cooper are an all terrain tire, so give them a look before you decide. You can always do an all season, personally I still regard an all season as a summer tire. I also did the all terrain because i didn't want to invest in 2 sets of tires, summer and winter...i run the Coopers 12 months of

Ramsoso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm still running with yr old SRA's but Changing tires... I'm on the Canadian WEsT coast and am again heading to the mountains for skiing after missing last yr. I Must have read 50+ reviews on tires that fit my old man truck.. 17/Laramie Longhorn. I short listed It to a toss up between Falken Wild Peak AT3W or Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. But after review and comparing both..Im going with Elvira's choice.. Cooper. Ordered yesterday.
They're both very comparable but Cooper's slightly lighter & quieter tire and $70/per cheaper on sale. There's a site comparing both against each other.
Soso

Last edited:

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome. Red, thats a beautiful ride........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye