New engine break-in period

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just my two cents. If a dealer did the swap, have them do the 1,000 mile, 2500 mile and 5,000 mile oil change. I’m assuming you got a limited warranty with this.

I did this with my 2016, and have done oil change and tire rotation every 5,000 since. Tranny oil change every 50,000 if not towing anything heavy regularly.

If a private business did the swap, have them do the 1,000 and 2500 mile change. Be there when they do it. Just my two cents at 67.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Hello all! so im getting a new remanufactured engine and I heard something about changing the oil during the break-in period. I heard at 600, 1200, 1200, 1200 miles to change the oil during this period. I also heard to start with regular oil and not synthetic oil. im a fan of royal purple synthetic 5w-20 but that would be expensive in changing the oil and filters during this process. so my question would be any advice on this break in period? which oil, synthetic or not, if I do regular oil for this process - can I run synthetic after, I change the oil filters also correct. Any adive would help thanks. any other fluids that need to change during this also.
Magnetic drain plug is a good idea, too.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is a remanufactured engine from promar so basically new. i believe its called a long block install where they deliver the new one and come back to pick up the old one (core) and comes with gaskets and seal kit. so valve cover, oil pan and anything else gets taken off the old and put on the new. my current old engine in the truck now has a brand new oil pump, water pump, sparks plugs and belts. i also pruchased new exhaust headers "dorman" for now. its basically stick but later down the road ill go with better headers. also got upgrades bolts for it cause i heard the ones that come with them are too long. but anyways, back to the oil for the 500 mile mark. im a fan of royal purple 5w-20 syntenic but the oil and filter is like 100 a shot. im not looking to put cheap stuff for break in period but proper decent oil to do the job correct is what im looking for.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok so im looking to get this engine break - in oil which is 10w-30 by royal purple but might go a bit cheaper on the filter being that im going to change the oil at 500 miles and then at 1200 and then 3k

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
ok so im looking to get this engine break - in oil which is 10w-30 by royal purple but might go a bit cheaper on the filter being that im going to change the oil at 500 miles and then at 1200 and then 3k
Don't cheap out on the oil filter you want one that will filter out the most small particles from the oil, those small bits are not good for your engine..

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I broke mine in on the way home from the dealer. I also did a road trip in the first 1000 miles. Oops!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah im thinking a trip down to AC and back which is like 200 miles round trip
As long as U don't leave all yer money on the tables or one arm bandits at Harrah's, lmao.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lolol i wish i can make the pit stop there
I'm sure they will welcome U through the doors there on the Brigantine with Open Arms, lmao. Depending upon the height of yer RAM, U may be able to park in their garage. I was able to park MY 19 in there, it is just shy 78" at it highest point in height. Just do NOT DO if U R claustrophobic.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On new engines, the usual break-in period is about 1000kms and then they change the oil. After that the manual recommends to change every 10,000kms.
Then again the manual says to use 5w20 oil. I would suggest changing the first oil change at 1000kms and then change it every 5000kms and use a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil. If you don't want to splash out for Redline, then I would suggest using Mobil1 FS 0w40.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all! so im getting a new remanufactured engine and I heard something about changing the oil during the break-in period. I heard at 600, 1200, 1200, 1200 miles to change the oil during this period. I also heard to start with regular oil and not synthetic oil. im a fan of royal purple synthetic 5w-20 but that would be expensive in changing the oil and filters during this process. so my question would be any advice on this break in period? which oil, synthetic or not, if I do regular oil for this process - can I run synthetic after, I change the oil filters also correct. Any adive would help thanks. any other fluids that need to change during this also.
I just this past holiday season installed a reman engine in a 2006 GMC Sierra 4-door crew. The manufacturer of the engine gave SPECIFIC instructions in BOLD lettering on bright primary colored paper well attached to the new/reman engine with the emblazoned warning that this set of instructions must be adhered to, to ensure warranty coverage, should it be necessary.

"Use ONLY 5-W30 NON SYNTHETIC oil and change at 500 miles, and then at 2500 miles" This was their mandate

Your engine will definitely give you warranty conditions and the rules germane thereto. READ THEM!!! :)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I typically change oil in a new car around a thousand miles. Most people probably think that’s overkill, but I consistently find glitter in the drained oil. Will that wear metal harm the engine in a big way if you let the filter trap what it can and run the original oil to a full change interval? Probably not. But oil is cheap and engines are not.

I use the same oil at the beginning as I use thereafter. Not a believer in boutique oils, especially. IMO fresh clean Walmart supertech is better than oil that cost 3x the price with 5k miles of contaminants circulating in it.

Oil threads are like talking religion. I’m sure the cultists will be along soon to consign me to the flames. ;)
You oil heretic!!! OFF with his head!!! ;) LOL!
Supertech oil is wonderful!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
That kinda a contradiction in terms “ new remanufactured “
I would agree with most and say use a premium oil filter and watch the temperature gauge on the engine coolant make sure your cooling system especially your radiator is clean and has new fluid water pump and thermostat …

change the oil after 1500 to 2000 miles the recommended oil is” a detergent “ petroleum based oil to help remove and suspend particulates..

Follow the warranty instructions to insure your covered
..just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat