New frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was rear ended at a red light a couple of weeks ago in my 2019 Bighorn. Was hit pretty hard, but drivable. Took it to get an estimate and turns out the frame is bent and has to be replaced. Anybody ever had a frame replaced and how did that work out.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
When the frame is damaged the insurance company usually totals the truck and replaces it.
Got pics of the truck? That would really help

Black 20 Ram

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bent frame on one of my other trucks after I rolled it then did 360's on the roof as we slid across the highway. Only straight part of the truck was the floor of the cab an floor of bed. Wheel wells even caved in from roll bar. Truck was 3 yrs old an they fixed it. Cut the roof off midway down posts an replaced. Went to junk yard an bought doors, tailgate, bed an hood. Bonds for the front fenders an whatever else. Don't count on a total unless it is bent beyond repair. Of course times change. Mine wreck was back the mid 80's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

shurik74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Bent frame on one of my other trucks after I rolled it then did 360's on the roof as we slid across the highway. Only straight part of the truck was the floor of the cab an floor of bed. Wheel wells even caved in from roll bar. Truck was 3 yrs old an they fixed it. Cut the roof off midway down posts an replaced. Went to junk yard an bought doors, tailgate, bed an hood. Bonds for the front fenders an whatever else. Don't count on a total unless it is bent beyond repair. Of course times change. Mine wreck was back the mid 80's

Nowadays salvage auction prices are so high, insurance tend to total

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Damage has to equal or surpass a percentage of the worth. I had an 07 that I wrapped around a tree, they replaced the cab with a cab that was burnt up in a fire and straightened the frame. Truck was never close to the same after, rode horrible and went through tires fast. I argued and argued with statefarm but they insisted it be repaired.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Really depends on damage. They'll likely repair it and I wouldn't worry with it being a truck.

Friend of mine rear ended me by accident in highschool. I was in my parents 97 expedition. Bent the frame a little....

They straightened and repaired the frame and that is still on the road today, 20 years later.

mlrtimemach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Tradesman 4X4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Insurance told me I owed $9,000 an if it cost $8,500 to repair they'll fix it. Said if I defaulted on loan they'd still make money. I believe it cost em more than $9,000. They had it 4 months. It leaked in all 4 corners of the roof. They told me when I bring it back but unfortunately that very same Friday night I got stuck in a mud hole an when my friend tried to pull me out he pulled my truck over onto its side. Needless to say there wasn't any need then to take it back. Oddly enough it did stop leaking. Not long after that I had it repaired by a legit body shop an they straightened everything out an put a nice paint job on it.
Till I rolled it again

OP
OP
B

Blue18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Estimate is around 11k. No where near value of the truck. They will definitely replace and not total.

OP
OP
B

Blue18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here’s a photo. Doesn’t look bad, but apparently it is

96FE7EC8-1C20-4059-8CAC-E1696EB68326.jpeg

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
We had the exact same thing with my son's Longhorn back in 2017. USAA instructed the body shop to replace the frame. The body shop at the dealer insisted they did it all the time. The truck never drove the same afterwards - EVER - despite three trips back to the dealer. Needless to say, the dealer agreed to give us a very good trade value for the truck and we traded it within a month.

OP
OP
B

Blue18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Funny thing is it drives absolutely fine. I didn’t even realize it was bent.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is the main frame bent or just the frame extensions used to bolt on the bumper?

OP
OP
B

Blue18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m not sure. But on the quarter panel over the tire you can see a slight buckle. So I think probably both

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
They don't make them like they used to if someone driving into the rear of the truck bends the frame. Evidently the efforts to make the truck lighter also made it weaker and a weak truck frame is not trivial if one want to load up the bed to use it like a truck.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Long story, but my frame on first Ram was literally bent in half, 2 day old truck on a lift and lift collapsed. It was fixed, fortunately had two people who were friends of friends that were tops in their field of frame repair work on it (truck was shuttled around the northeast nor two months), truck came back perfect and I drove it many years after that.

I hope you get satisfaction on this, and want to say that while a scary adventure to go through, I hope you can find it in you to give them a chance to fix it and that you have the good fortune to get experts as well. I highly recommend finding a frame expert to check it after, maybe find a large auto auction in your region and find who they use for mediation between buyers and sellers. Good luck.

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I would ask the insurance to total. Nothing comes apart and goes back together the same way. If your frame is replaced then consider trading for a new truck. My 2-year-old paid off truck was hit and there was a debate about the frame being replaced. The insurance totaled the truck, wrote me a check, I purchased another new truck which made me happy.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View media item 28624
That sucks. Last winter some kid turned left from the right-most lane and hit the front corner of my son's RAM. It bent the frame so it was totalled out. My son and his friend were fine but the driver in the other car broke his leg.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Insurance told me I owed $9,000 an if it cost $8,500 to repair they'll fix it. Said if I defaulted on loan they'd still make money. I believe it cost em more than $9,000. They had it 4 months. It leaked in all 4 corners of the roof. They told me when I bring it back but unfortunately that very same Friday night I got stuck in a mud hole an when my friend tried to pull me out he pulled my truck over onto its side. Needless to say there wasn't any need then to take it back. Oddly enough it did stop leaking. Not long after that I had it repaired by a legit body shop an they straightened everything out an put a nice paint job on it.
Till I rolled it again

Sounds like you need training wheels to keep from falling over. Lol

Mike Gauthier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was rear ended at a red light a couple of weeks ago in my 2019 Bighorn. Was hit pretty hard, but drivable. Took it to get an estimate and turns out the frame is bent and has to be replaced. Anybody ever had a frame replaced and how did that work out.

Yes, i hit a barrier with my 2015, they are replacing the frame. It seems that everything is alumn now and not steel. This being said alum bends very easy vs old steel carriage ass. I just happen to know the body shop. And he explained that they do it all the time. I cannot afford a new truck, so we will get parts out of the wrecking yard, which is better then japanese sheet metal as they will be oem dodge. I front ended mind. But if you can work with your shop, This is a great time to put those headers on since they will lift the body off the frame and the motor will be right there. I also have some air bags fro the rear to install in the rear springs for when i haul my car hauler.