New guy in the Memphis area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been wanting a RAM for a while. I was torn whether I could take the 269 lb ft of torque of the V-6. But my brother has a 15 or 16 3.6 quad cab company truck. I've driven it and thought it was pretty nice with the 8 speed. So, after a few weeks of searching and browsing online, I came across a brand new 2017 still on a dealer lot. (they had 3 actually). They have started getting the 19 in so it had $9k of FCA incentives and the dealer priced it at 30k. It's a Big Horn, pretty much loaded, with no sun roof or leather. I am pretty happy with my purchase. So far in 300 miles I already am averaging 21 mpg. The dealer also hooked it up with a free bedliner (I didn't necessarily want a drop in, but it's free) and had already paid to activate the NAV system.

My salesman hooked me up with some RAM factory chrome sidesteps. His father in law took them off his truck to get power folding steps.

I'm replacing a 2007 Avalanche. It was a nice truck, but unlike the 2003 Avalanche I had, I could never get the bed to stop leaking. Plus the build quality was terrible. You can tell they were going bankrupt and the line workers didn't give a crap.

I've already ordered Mopar rubber floor mats and a BakFlip G2 bed cover. Hopefully it keeps the bed drier than the Avalanche.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum and congrats on the new Ram!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck....welcome from the left coast

OP
OP
droopie85gt

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys! I've always been a silver or white kinda guy...well I had a black 97 Dakota once. It was awesome...the day I got it and never could get it clean after that. They had this truck and another just like it in red with the Hemi with a sunroof. I had one in my Avalanche and never used it and kept the cover closed all the time to keep my bald head from getting burned!!! lol

It came down to this truck was 4k less and I really liked the Blue better than the red. I also wanted the MPG's. I have a 85 Mustang if I need to do some smoky burnouts. 351w 5 speed.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
always liked that color second best to mines.. lol.. welcome aboard !

OP
OP
droopie85gt

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
always liked that color second best to mines.. lol.. welcome aboard !

Hey @BiGMERF I've only got 300 miles but I am looking at mods. Does the pedal commander do anything other than change the pedal response? I noticed it's horrible in reverse...I guess to keep stupid soccer moms from running people over. I would love to get a tuner to get a little more torque and mpg's!

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey @BiGMERF I've only got 300 miles but I am looking at mods. Does the pedal commander do anything other than change the pedal response? I noticed it's horrible in reverse...I guess to keep stupid soccer moms from running people over. I would love to get a tuner to get a little more torque and mpg's!

Welcome from across the bridge past Bass Pro Pyramid! I just got the Pedal Commander last Friday and it's an amazing change. I run City+2 and it drives more like a V8. On the way back from the lake today I put it back to factory since I've been using it for a few days and I can't imagine driving the truck without the PC now. Should have been my 1st upgrade. I liked the Pentastar before and now i LOVE the Pentastar V6.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6

made all the difference in the world.. v6 equipped rams should have come from the factory this way

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Welcome. You are on the right forum. You will find a lot of helpful info as you make that truck your own.

OP
OP
droopie85gt

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am thinking my first big mod is going to be finding a Hemi dual exhaust take off and dual exhaust chrome bumper. I don't care about the sound (not too loud) but the look is awesome from the factory. I looked hard at the red hemi sitting next to my truck, but I couldn't justify 3k more just for the hemi, duals, and sunroof. Plus I do a lot of driving, so the MPG of the Pentastar was more important!

I live my fuelly badge....only 1 fill up so far. Maybe in 2 weeks it'll have an actual MPG!

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm doing the same thing. I have been searching Craigslist as far out as Jackson TN and MS and have yet to locate factory exhaust and bumper.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome