New member, great truck - slightly disappointing dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I picked a new 2016 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman last week. So far I love the truck but I am slightly disappointed with the dealer. I ordered the NAV upgrade and although I realised that I wouldn't have the same 3D maps or Sirius Traffic I was assured by the salesman that TMC traffic alerts would work. Well, as you guys probably know that's not the case, which I found out after the fact. I really like that feature and use it quite a bit in my car. The dealer has apologized for the mistake but has otherwise said there is nothing that can be done. Appearantly it cannot be upgraded (swapped) to the 8.4AN (RA4) by the dealer. It's to bad as otherwise I like the system and find it almost as useful as the system in my car.

Anyway, great truck but had I known the full limitations of the NAV upgrade I might have looked at a different upgrade path or a different trim level.

Have a great day!
Tom

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
There is a 2016 RA4 up in the for sale section

Up All Night Sleep All Day via my LG G4 on Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmletourneau

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for pointing that out, I think I'll just live with it. I don't want to deal with FCA and uConnect about activating and transferring service to a used head unit. Besides, I've already spent the money on the upgrade. If I hadn't I'd be all over that deal though.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
welcome... nice looking rig, unfortunately typical dealership bs!!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I didn't know there was another nav upgrade. I thought once you get the Nav that was the highest version of the 8.4 screen

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are only two ways to add Navigation to a 8.4A. 1) Software updated for the basic features, 2) Replace the 8.4A with a 8.4AN radio and get full features.

Dunno why the dealer said he can't swap radios, there is some logistics involved. Probably for the same reason they said traffic alerts were included :)

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like your typical salesman. Sorry you found out the hard way. I found that, while I was shopping for our truck, and my wife's Durango, that I knew more about options and what's available than any of the salesmen I dealt with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tom,
It seems that these days, the "profession" of car salesman has changed a lot from years past. Years ago the sales staff would make an effort to become familiar with the various products they sold and they would be well equipped to answer most questions you had. Some would even tell you they did not know the answer to a question you asked, but they would find someone that could give you the correct information. Now days it seems all they want to do is get the cars off the lot, with the minimum amount of effort, and make the most money they can. As has been mentioned above, I think now, right or wrong,it is the responsibility of a smart buyer, to know as much about what they are buying, because chances are your salesman ain't going to know the answers and they lie to you if they don't know. There are exceptions, but damn few!!!!
Jay

CzBlkExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like my dealer experience. He tried to tell me a 250$ cold air intake was an intercooler that costs over 1000$. Also found out they took the painted wheels that were supposed to be on the truck and put the plastic chrome wheels on and called it a dealer option.

OP
OP
tmletourneau

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone! I've sent a message to FCA, we'll see if that helps but I don't have high hopes in that regard.

Oddly enough I did do research and know that I wouldn't get Sirius traffic with the upgrade but was not able to find an answer about the broadcast traffic data so when I asked and was told it worked I thought that it would as that's how my cars navigation system get it. Lesson learned I guess...

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
tmletourneau

tmletourneau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well FCA essentially said to bad and that an 8.4A cannot be replaced with an AN as the wiring is different. They did say that they are sorry though and let the dealer know about my concerns. They said that the sales manager was unaware of my concerns, but I spoke to service and parts significantly prior to contacting FCA. I guess the departments don't talk to each other. Oh well, as others have mentioned "caveat emptor".