New noise..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've looked around on here and haven't found this post yet..

soo.. the sound is coming from near the upper mount of the rear right shock. sadly it's not the shock that bad boy is tightened down.. the sound only happens rocking the truck front to back.. side to side and up and down there is nothing.. when driving if the weight shift front to back or back to front it pops/clunks.. higher speeds there is nothing and it comes and goes.. but when it is its loud... it almost sounds like it's in the bed of the truck right near the cab.. any ideas?!

OP
OP
B

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was using that at one point to rock the truck..and it's to far back.. the sound is literally coming from the bed right next to the cab...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's weird. Maybe a body mount or a bed bolt loose? Or the control arm for the rear axle? I believe all of those are in that general area...

If it was the drivers side I'd say check the ebrake cable as mine was crazy loos le from the factory and it would cause all kinds of clunking noises.

OP
OP
B

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the body mount is pretty solid and the I didnt feel anything abnormal about it.. I got a buddy to crawl under as I rocked it and he said it sounds like it's coming from where the bed support and the frame are touching.. so I'm guessing bed bolt..

now the only question is how the hell do I fix it

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
start tightening bed bolts.

OP
OP
B

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't even know how many or where they are..

OP
OP
B

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
all the bed bolt I found where tight... no clue...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Strange as it may sound, check the weatherstrip piece thats between the bottom of the cab and the bed. Mine was barely attached and was making some noise.

RamminJammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just cause you ruled your shock out as being tight doesn't mean it can't be broken internally I would remove it and check it out off the truck.

RamminJammin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also if you look at the components that travel in a fwd aft direction there's not many things other than a bad shock rocking suspension. Pulling up ward on your bed should clue you in if a bed bolt is loose just some ideas. Have a friend hang under there and rock the truck to try to isolate it better also another idea.

OP
OP
B

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also if you look at the components that travel in a fwd aft direction there's not many things other than a bad shock rocking suspension. Pulling up ward on your bed should clue you in if a bed bolt is loose just some ideas. Have a friend hang under there and rock the truck to try to isolate it better also another idea.
my new theory is it's the shocks.. I had a buddy under and I went under while we rocked the truck.. we know it's coming from the area near the shock upper mount..

I took it in yesterday and picked it up this morning.. the guy that worked on the truck said it was a bushing on the rear sway right end link (not even close to the sound) then he said he fixed it... I drove it.. not fixed.. so I went back and talked with him.. he said he had to grease it up and it will take a day or two for the grease to penetrate and the noise will completely stop.. so.. I guess in two day we shall see..

OP
OP
B

bamablack11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Strange as it may sound, check the weatherstrip piece thats between the bottom of the cab and the bed. Mine was barely attached and was making some noise.
I looked at that.. talk about a useless addition.. what's the point of that thing?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably some engineers idea of aerodynamic improvement that adds .0001322MPG.