New Ram 1500 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I'm a owner of a new 2012 Ram 1500. I know the sound of "new" and 2012 will throw off some alarms. But hear me out. I'm military serving overseas right now. I've been looking at trucks for a while mostly because I"m a avid dirt bike rider. Needed something reliable to get me to the trails, hail my gear, and also lug around the race day trailer with all my tools, spare parts and pit bike.

I got extremely lucky as I was talking to the new cars sales representative here, I asked him to show me the trucks ready within 2 months. Well, most custom orders take a bit longer than that. He went ahead and pulled up the factory inventory list, and surprisingly enough a 2012 Ram 1500 was sitting at the factory ready to be sent to a dealer. Original buyer seems to have backed out last minute..So I bought the truck instead..For a steal of course :party36:

Truck has:
The V8 Hemi
Complete tow package
4x4
Complete chrome package
Power + remote entry group (yay?)
Class IV hitch receiver
Trailer brake control group

I got the truck for $22,000.00 after tax and fees. I'm super excited for this.
So, forgot to mention this is the ST model.

What would you suggest I add to the truck? I was looking at upgrading the hood, bumper, skirts, and adding wheel flares. I prefer the appearance of the Sportsmen style I believe it was called. Anyways, looking forward to having fun with this truck and sharing all the adventures we will have soon!

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new truck.

I am going to take a stab at this, someone will be along to correct me soon enough if I am mistaken.
I love my 2012 - only had it a couple of months.

Most of the changes you mention are cosmetic.
Changing out the hood and bumpers will get expensive. (For OEM)
Not really sure which hood you prefer, I am guessing one with either single or double hood scoops. - I like those myself
I like the look of the Challenger style (two small scoops) But to change that out for an OEM metal one, looks like about $1,000 + painting to match the truck and the scoops are non functional anyway. - I began to like them less when I discovered the cost :)

If you really end up not liking the chrome bumpers, you can plasti-dip them (a rubbery spray-on) that you can do yourself and is removable -or- get them sprayed with Line-X bedliner, a permanent solution. - You did not mention the color of the truck.

I would suggest you Line-X the bed if it is not already factory sprayed.

Since you are going to be hooking up trailers, a back-up camera is nice.
It helps you line up the trailer to the hitch.
If you have a list of options, you want to check for that.
If not, it is something you may want to add.

Uconnect is another nice option for hands free phone use.
- You did not mention which radio or connectivity group you have.

Now that I have one, a Catch Can seems like a pretty essential add-on.
It catches crap that would otherwise go from the PCV valve into the intake.

I would suggest either weathertech or husky floor liners to protect the inside.

It seems there are endless things you can do to the truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new truck.

I am going to take a stab at this, someone will be along to correct me soon enough if I am mistaken.
I love my 2012 - only had it a couple of months.

Most of the changes you mention are cosmetic.
Changing out the hood and bumpers will get expensive. (For OEM)
Not really sure which hood you prefer, I am guessing one with either single or double hood scoops. - I like those myself
I like the look of the Challenger style (two small scoops) But to change that out for an OEM metal one, looks like about $1,000 + painting to match the truck and the scoops are non functional anyway. - I began to like them less when I discovered the cost :)

If you really end up not liking the chrome bumpers, you can plasti-dip them (a rubbery spray-on) that you can do yourself and is removable -or- get them sprayed with Line-X bedliner, a permanent solution. - You did not mention the color of the truck.

I would suggest you Line-X the bed if it is not already factory sprayed.

Since you are going to be hooking up trailers, a back-up camera is nice.
It helps you line up the trailer to the hitch.
If you have a list of options, you want to check for that.
If not, it is something you may want to add.

Uconnect is another nice option for hands free phone use.
- You did not mention which radio or connectivity group you have.

Now that I have one, a Catch Can seems like a pretty essential add-on.
It catches crap that would otherwise go from the PCV valve into the intake.

I would suggest either weathertech or husky floor liners to protect the inside.

It seems there are endless things you can do to the truck.

Sorry, I listed some of what I figured was the "highlights"

The truck is Sagebrush pearl, includes the Factory bedliner, and media center 130 CD/MP3 radio.

I was looking at the duraflex components for the cosmetic upgrades. Was researching based off this baseline

Duraflex® 107103 - Dodge Ram 2009-2013 MP-R Hood

Lighter than stock hoods, of course you lose a bit of the protection offered from the OEM metal parts. But this is not a "work" truck. It's a truck for hauling bikes to/from the track & trails. Mostly want to add my own personality to the truck.

OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have a question though, that's been driving me nuts. Does this truck have full eco mode that turns off cylinders during cruise? It's a feature of the truck, but not a very well reported or reviewed feature. So been trying to determine what it truly does.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome and you got a hellva price on that truck. Mods are plentiful around here so just keep digging on the sit and your wallet will feel lighter in no time at all.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to watching your truck's transformation.
Yes, the Hemi in a 2012 1500 will have 'Eco' mode with cylinder deactivation. the reason you may not read much about it, is in reality it doesn't do much except make the truck sound like a lopey 4 cylinder.

OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to watching your truck's transformation.
Yes, the Hemi in a 2012 1500 will have 'Eco' mode with cylinder deactivation. the reason you may not read much about it, is in reality it doesn't do much except make the truck sound like a lopey 4 cylinder.

I see. Was that a feature on all the 8's for the Ram line, or a hemi specific feature? I certainly didn't buy the truck for the MPG just a neat feature that I was not expecting.

I'll post up pictures when I get the truck next month. Still overseas and the truck has just started moving from factory to my dealer in orlando. Will take about 20-30 days to arrive by their estimates.

OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome and you got a hellva price on that truck. Mods are plentiful around here so just keep digging on the sit and your wallet will feel lighter in no time at all.

Thanks! I was rather shocked honestly. I was ready to pay around $26-28k for a truck. Honestly could not pass up this deal. Had everything I wanted and the discounts they offered to unload it from their inventory really set my mind.

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see. Was that a feature on all the 8's for the Ram line, or a hemi specific feature? I certainly didn't buy the truck for the MPG just a neat feature that I was not expecting.

I'll post up pictures when I get the truck next month. Still overseas and the truck has just started moving from factory to my dealer in orlando. Will take about 20-30 days to arrive by their estimates.

All Ram's have the eco mode I believe. I never use eco mode and I am actually getting better gas mileage. With it on if you like in hilly locations it will seem to bog down slowly trying to get power.

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
All Ram's have the eco mode I believe. I never use eco mode and I am actually getting better gas mileage. With it on if you like in hilly locations it will seem to bog down slowly trying to get power.

How do you turn off the Eco mode? I remember in the wifes grand Caravan there was a button on the console. I see the ECO light in the EVIC but never found a way to turn it off on my Ram.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

The truck is Sagebrush pearl, includes the Factory bedliner, and media center 130 CD/MP3 radio.

I was looking at the duraflex components for the cosmetic upgrades. Was researching based off this baseline

Lighter than stock hoods, of course you lose a bit of the protection offered from the OEM metal parts. But this is not a "work" truck. It's a truck for hauling bikes to/from the track & trails. Mostly want to add my own personality to the truck.
I looked at that hood myself. I definately like the look.
Just hard for me to justify the price - I am an old guy. :)
I spent the money on radio upgrade (touchscreen) and backup camera.

Factory bedliner can be spray-on or bolt-on.
My preference would be for the spray-on as the bolt-on can flex, rub through the paint and the bed will eventually rust.

I had that same (130) radio in mine, but also have the Uconnect system.
I would talk to the dealer about having Uconnect installed. It is a really nice addition to the truck.
You can also add it yourself. - not very hard to do.

Guts~n~Glory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Congrats on the New Ram and a BIG HIGH FIVE on the Sagebrush Pearlcoat!!! :banana-mario:

OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I figured Eco only engaged during steady throttle or cruise situations. Is the Eco mode that aggressive that it even happens in the city

OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at that hood myself. I definately like the look.
Just hard for me to justify the price - I am an old guy. :)
I spent the money on radio upgrade (touchscreen) and backup camera.

Factory bedliner can be spray-on or bolt-on.
My preference would be for the spray-on as the bolt-on can flex, rub through the paint and the bed will eventually rust.

I had that same (130) radio in mine, but also have the Uconnect system.
I would talk to the dealer about having Uconnect installed. It is a really nice addition to the truck.
You can also add it yourself. - not very hard to do.

I've got the spray on liner. Which I'm happy for. I can see the bolt on being a pain, I'd have done the switch myself sooner or later.

What is the Uconnect? I've never heard of that..haha

That hood though is worth it to me it's only a couple hundred + shipping.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Only hemi's have eco mode. In city turning it off or on doesn't effect my mileage, I do have the 8 speed though, on the highway it seems to gain 1 to 2 mpg's though. On a 5/6 speed you shut it off by selecting 5th or 6th gear (depending on whether you have a 5 or 6 speed) or turn on tow haul mode. The only way to shut it off on a 8 speed truck is to select a gear, tow haul doesn't shut it off.

OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only hemi's have eco mode. In city turning it off or on doesn't effect my mileage, I do have the 8 speed though, on the highway it seems to gain 1 to 2 mpg's though. On a 5/6 speed you shut it off by selecting 5th or 6th gear (depending on whether you have a 5 or 6 speed) or turn on tow haul mode. The only way to shut it off on a 8 speed truck is to select a gear, tow haul doesn't shut it off.

So even having it turn to a 4 cylinder does not gain much MPG then. Sorta wonder what's the point. I'd rather just have full access to my power than have 2 extra mpg.

Guts~n~Glory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Last edited:
OP
OP

6thgear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sagebrush Pearl is a one year only (2012) color, I am planning to put the vinyl Mossy Oak Graphic's on the outside of ours here is what they look like on the Sagebrush Pearl. http://www.propickupmag.com/files/2012/02/2012-Ram-1500-Mossy-Oak.jpg I have to take mine to a dealership up near St. Louis to have them put on but it is less than $200 to have them put on.

Oh nice! So not a matter of people not "liking" the color..It was just a limited run. I'm even more happy I found the truck in Sagebrush pearl.

That vinyl looks great on the truck. Is the vinyl hard to install at home I assume?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pakvalet01