New struts and shocks...which ones?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPMRamFury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7 HEMI
Hi guys I recently bought a 2012 Ram 1500 and it has 250,000 miles on the original struts and shocks. I figure it's time to replace them but I really don't know much about the 4th gens compared to the 3rd gens with torsion bars.

I was searching on eBay and I found this set up but I read and some other threads that these are not very durable? Is there any truth to this?

https://www.ebay.com/p/574765960

If the above is no good can you suggest a setup that is a good bang for the buck? I dont want to lift it or mud it so i dont need the top of the line. I mud my 97 TJ instead.

Thanks and hope to make a decision in a week or so and get them done.

20201227_104839.jpg

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
RPMRamFury

RPMRamFury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7 HEMI
The regular Bilsteins are a great piece of hardware even at stock height. Nice tight handling, will last the life of your truck & won't break your spine if you hit a speed bump.

Like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-B...s-Set-for-2011-2018-Ram-1500-4WD/333723645275

It's another $140ish over the price of the ones you linked.. 2 tanks of gas :)

Ok you talked me into it, ill probably order those but i have just 1 question...Are the oem coils still good on mine do you think? The ones in my post have new coils on them i noticed.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think miles factor into spring life and the weight that the front of the truck bears doesn't change much (hard to overload the front of a truck... ) so if your coils are dead so are everyone else's with a truck only 8 years old.

In other words I wouldn't worry about it. Better the springs made for your truck's engine + cab configuration than a one size fits all spring.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys I recently bought a 2012 Ram 1500 and it has 250,000 miles on the original struts and shocks. I figure it's time to replace them but I really don't know much about the 4th gens compared to the 3rd gens with torsion bars.

I was searching on eBay and I found this set up but I read and some other threads that these are not very durable? Is there any truth to this?

https://www.ebay.com/p/574765960

If the above is no good can you suggest a setup that is a good bang for the buck? I dont want to lift it or mud it so i dont need the top of the line. I mud my 97 TJ instead.

Thanks and hope to make a decision in a week or so and get them done.

View attachment 234124
Rancho quick lifts leveling struts. They ride like factory with adjustable dampening. (maybe it was preload?) I had them on my 2013 and i loved them. But ive been on Air Suspension for the past 3 years in my '17 Limited. Sorry that the picture of the truck is pretty much blocked but it would take a lot of digging to find one of just the truck lol. I truly was very happy with them. I even sold a set to another member here and i believe he is very happy as well.

20190703_172846.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't think miles factor into spring life and the weight that the front of the truck bears doesn't change much (hard to overload the front of a truck... ) so if your coils are dead so are everyone else's with a truck only 8 years old.

In other words I wouldn't worry about it. Better the springs made for your truck's engine + cab configuration than a one size fits all spring.

Springs do wear out.They're made of steel and any steel part that flexes is subject to metal fatigue over time,the more miles on a set of springs,the more metal fatigue they've incurred. But in his case if the truck still sits reasonably level side to side and the spring aren't sagged right out,he's probably okay to reuse the springs he has,especially if they look new in comparision to the struts.

OP
OP
RPMRamFury

RPMRamFury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7 HEMI
Springs do wear out.They're made of steel and any steel part that flexes is subject to metal fatigue over time,the more miles on a set of springs,the more metal fatigue they've incurred. But in his case if the truck still sits reasonably level side to side and the spring aren't sagged right out,he's probably okay to reuse the springs he has,especially if they look new in comparision to the struts.
Would a couple pictures on level ground be all that would be needed to tell if the springs are worn out? If not whats the best way i can do that before i bring it somewhere to have the struts installed? I ask because im sure any shop that has it apart already and says they can order springs will jack the price up considerably vs me bringing new springs and struts.

Gixxer - i appreciate the response but I just want to go OEM with this truck as it won't be a off-roader. I have a couple Wranglers for that.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would a couple pictures on level ground be all that would be needed to tell if the springs are worn out? If not whats the best way i can do that before i bring it somewhere to have the struts installed? I ask because im sure any shop that has it apart already and says they can order springs will jack the price up considerably vs me bringing new springs and struts.

It's possible you can compare your measurements with the OEM guides? http://www.rambodybuilder.com/uopt_files/frame.htm I'm not sure if there's another way, unless you get someone else with a stock truck to measure from the center of their front wheels to the same spot on the fender.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Gixxer - i appreciate the response but I just want to go OEM with this truck as it won't be a off-roader. I have a couple Wranglers for that.

Take a tape measure with you to your local dealer,and find a couple new or newer trucks,and just compare measurements off them to your truck.If they're sitting on roughly the same size tires as your truck,you can measure from the ground to the edge of the fender,but if not then use Kureks measuring tip above.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grab the tape and measure ground to fender edge, post the numbers. For comparison sakes my bone stock 14 Express crew cab with 40k miles measured:
Front fender: 36 1/8
Rear fender: 39 1/4

Now that's assuming you want to thinker with what to run. If you want to keep things stock walk into your favorite auto parts store and get yourself a couple of QL struts and rear shocks. My local Oreally's have KYB, Monroe and also a Masterpro brand that i've never seen before, all quick assemblies so fully ready to go where you simply take one off and install the replacement and you're done. KYB are highly regarded for a nice stockish suspension.
You can take the old ones out and use them for extra parts if you want to keep them. For the rear your can run Tuff Truck 1210 coil springs. 25% firmer than stock and will keep the truck butt at stock height assuming your factory ones are sagged.

OP
OP
RPMRamFury

RPMRamFury

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.7 HEMI
Grab the tape and measure ground to fender edge, post the numbers. For comparison sakes my bone stock 14 Express crew cab with 40k miles measured:
Front fender: 36 1/8
Rear fender: 39 1/4

Now that's assuming you want to thinker with what to run. If you want to keep things stock walk into your favorite auto parts store and get yourself a couple of QL struts and rear shocks. My local Oreally's have KYB, Monroe and also a Masterpro brand that i've never seen before, all quick assemblies so fully ready to go where you simply take one off and install the replacement and you're done. KYB are highly regarded for a nice stockish suspension.
You can take the old ones out and use them for extra parts if you want to keep them. For the rear your can run Tuff Truck 1210 coil springs. 25% firmer than stock and will keep the truck butt at stock height assuming your factory ones are sagged.

Are "ql" struts and shocks a brand and do you have any longevity experience with these? Sorry to ask so many questions but id like to do this once and not have to worry about it for a long time.

Also thanks for the suggestion but id like the truck to ride nice so i wont be doing the firmer springs.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are "ql" struts and shocks a brand and do you have any longevity experience with these? Sorry to ask so many questions but id like to do this once and not have to worry about it for a long time.

Also thanks for the suggestion but id like the truck to ride nice so i wont be doing the firmer springs.
Sorry tha twas a typo. ql just means quick lift struts, and i meant to say quick struts. That means full assembled struts so just take your old ones and slap the new ones in. If you buy just the strut then you have to disassemble your old ones, take the top mounts, springs, seats etc and port them to the news ones. it's cheaper to buy them like this. it's faster to install the quick struts. QL struts are those that provide lift and are also fully assembled, Rancho QL (2.25" lift), RC QL (2.5" lift)

Take care.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
I second the quick lift advice. I installed the ranchos in about 90 minutes from start to finish. Super easy and you'll retain some factory rake so it looks almost stock. They've been on my truck for several years now and are holding up great. I don't mess with the knob gimmick though... Set it and forget it.