New Tires, Surprise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Went to pick up some new tires I had ordered from Discount Tire. I purchased 5 Goodyear Duratracs in 35x12.5x17. I know a lot of folks diss the Duratracs but they worked good for me and I got a smokin' deal on them. I was checking them out when I got home and surprise...the E rated tires have a 3 ply sidewall! That was the only reason I initially balked at the Duratracs, 2 ply sidewall but I never had an issue with the OEM set. Another bonus, the 35" spare fit up under the bed so I was happy about that. So far there has been no rubbing but I haven't put her through the paces yet. So far... I'm happy!

Attachments

• PXL_20210929_211457739.jpg
    PXL_20210929_211457739.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 67
  • PXL_20210929_211220710.jpg
    PXL_20210929_211220710.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
G

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Also noted that Goodyear has added a couple of kevlar plies to the carcass as well, seems to be a much tougher tire than the OEM's. Is this new or have they always had these features?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Also noted that Goodyear has added a couple of kevlar plies to the carcass as well, seems to be a much tougher tire than the OEM's. Is this new or have they always had these features?
I have some old Load Range E Goodyear Duratrac 32" LT tires on my old Chevrolet K1500 Cheyenne. Tread is 2 plys each of polyester, nylon, and steel. 6 plies total. No Kevlar. Sidewall 2 ply polyester.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice to see they went with 3 ply sidewall finally. I do believe that is a newer design for the duratrac.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
68 lbs for the 35" Duratrac tire and 77 lbs for the Toyo C/T's that are on my Power Wagon. Same tire dimensions for both brands with similar tread patterns.

I'll stick with the heavier tires for my Power Wagon which sees off-road usage and keep running the Duratrac tires on my 1/2 ton pickup trucks that don't.

Last edited:

HW285PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Went to pick up some new tires I had ordered from Discount Tire. I purchased 5 Goodyear Duratracs in 35x12.5x17. I know a lot of folks diss the Duratracs but they worked good for me and I got a smokin' deal on them. I was checking them out when I got home and surprise...the E rated tires have a 3 ply sidewall! That was the only reason I initially balked at the Duratracs, 2 ply sidewall but I never had an issue with the OEM set. Another bonus, the 35" spare fit up under the bed so I was happy about that. So far there has been no rubbing but I haven't put her through the paces yet. So far... I'm happy!
That looks great! Did the spare fit perfectly or did you have to air it down?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Duratrac makes two types of tire, one for 1500 and another for 25/3500 rigs. The half ton tires ride much better and tend to be quite a bit quieter.

This was written by a guy who has been in the tire business for 45 years and who has a great in-depth understanding.

As you can all see from all the replies you see here, you will never get everyone to agree on anything, and in all honesty that is because most people don't really have enough technical knowledge to understand why something is good or bad in a specific situation, and that generally leads to a misunderstanding of a products capabilities.

For example, you can have 3 guys, all with F150's and all who all use Duratracs. One guy though has tires a bit bigger with a LRE/10 ply rating because he wanted oversized. Another guy drives his truck like a sports car. Another guy has a standard load rating and uses his truck lightly but all kinds of conditions.

The guy with the 10 ply reports the tire is noisier and is terrible in severe winter conditions, but that is because it is a more rigid product and doesn't flex as much so traction in those conditions is reduced, and as stiffer tires transfer more road feedback, the noise travels through the cab.

The guy who drives it like he stole it complains the tires get noisy and wear fast, but that is because the larger blocks with lots of siping and more flexible compounding combine for heat generation from driving like that cause the tire to feather which makes them noisy and wear contributes to them wearing quicker.

The guy who drives pretty normal but is in all varying conditions says they wear well, provide good traction levels and are decently quiet because a tire like this endures well in those scenarios.

All three guys used the same product but had radically different experiences and results. Because of this they report that they either the tire was junk or that it was awesome or whatever, but the question is why is that? The fact is it is not the product that is bad or good as a rule, but more that the product was or was not matched properly to the user for what they do and expect.

That more often than not means the biggest issue was that the consumer did not get the product best associated to their specific needs and uses and that is either because the sales person did not listen to the client, ask the right questions and recommend the proper product, or the consumer blindly went with something based on the opinions of random people who don't really know how to break down and analyze everything correctly and didn't go with the experience of a reputable industry pro who had considered their best interests. Either way, it isn't because the tire was bad. It was just inappropriate for the scenario at hand.

Often what is best for one person is totally wrong for the next person. Ask the right questions of someone you trust to give you accurate and properly thought out feedback and you stand the very best chance of getting something suitable for your needs and something you well be happy with overall. Ask your neighbour who is a geologist (or any other myriad of professions) who has owned five trucks but uses them in a completely different manner from you, but you take his work as gold and you will often end up disappointed.

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
[email protected]
www.urbanexp.ca

OP
OP
G

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I did a 400 mile road trip yesterday with them. My observations are that they're no noisier than the OEM's...but they're new and will get louder. Ride seems to be about the same but I have them aired to 50 PSI. I haven't been off-road with them yet but hunting season starts next week, I'll know more then. The article above has some good info, he makes some good points.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am getting used to having MTs again on back of my 19 Bighorn. MTs feel a little squirrelly in the rear on pavement at HWY speed. Like higher speed on gravel road...little loose. Got some 305/55r20 Mud Claw Extreme MTs on stock truck.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Are these 3PMSF rated as well? When I went to 35s, it came down Duratrac and Toyo C/T. Went the Toyo. I noticed on the OE Duratrac they are 3PMSF rated too. Not sure that means anything since it's an industry standard.

OP
OP
G

Gulfstream

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Are these 3PMSF rated as well? When I went to 35s, it came down Duratrac and Toyo C/T. Went the Toyo. I noticed on the OE Duratrac they are 3PMSF rated too. Not sure that means anything since it's an industry standard.
Yes, they're branded with the 3PMSF symbol. I think there is some value as the tire has been manufactured or designed to meet a standard that others may not, of course this really only matters to people in snow country.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Yes, they're branded with the 3PMSF symbol. I think there is some value as the tire has been manufactured or designed to meet a standard that others may not, of course this really only matters to people in snow country.
Only 3.6% of tires sold in the USA in 2016 were winter rated. So the 3PMSF rating is of little concern to the majority on this forum. Few of us have to deal with snow up to 9 months of each year.

Last edited:

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I figured it wouldn't matter in parts mid-West to West. The Utah chain laws were a bit confusing to me when I was out there one winter, between Salt Lake and Ogden.