new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I finally got my new tires. 35x12.5R20 toyo open country. First off, it's bad ass. I love the height and everything about them. I have noticed a couple things:
1. The steering is more sensitive now
2. The truck seems to need a little more distance when braking.

Do I need to get an alignment with running bigger tires? I used my stock black rims and the shop had no problem fitting them. Also I put 9mm custom wheel and hub centric spacers so it clears the upa with 1/4". Anyone else notice these differences with their setup?

Thanks

TexasNav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anytime I have gotten a new tire I have always balanced it....maybe I am just paranoid, I am sure others will chime in

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
The bigger tire by itself will not change your alignment. But like TexasNav said, make sure they balanced them when they installed them. As for your braking, the bigger tires have more rotating mass as well as weight... therefore longer stopping distance (shouldn't be a lot though)

saintsreturn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn
Engine
EcoDiesel
If a shop installed your tires they were balanced however you would of known if you had them aligned. It would be wise to have this done anytime you adjust your hight or suspension. I get it done whenever I buy new tires to make sure everything is good and that the tires will wear right.
Also, pics?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Replacing tires, even with spacers should have zero need for an alignment.

That said, I'm sure those tires were NOT cheap.
I would get the alignment checked and make sure you're right in the sweet spot of specifications. Ask them to show you where you're at in the range before they take it off the alignment rack. If the range is -.05 to 3.0°, you really don't want to be a 2.75° IMO.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as far as the balance goes, the shop did balance all the tires. the problem i have with the alignment is that the shop couldn't fit my truck on there. i took it to firestone and they said something about how the machine part that attaches to the rim would really scratch my rims (i have the black rims from the the dealer) so they couldn't do it and now i have to wait until the 24 of april to get an alignment done at 4wheelparts. as far as the pics go. i don't know how to post them on here. any advice? lol