Multiple issues after new tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I thought about posting this in Exterior, Trailers and Towing and/or Electronics, but since it covers all areas I'll post it here unless a Moderator deems a better location.

About three weeks ago I finally decided to replace my original Goodyear SRAs with a new set as they were showing signs of wear and weather checking. I'd have been happier with more miles out of them but the weather checking was causing some worry as the truck was built in Oct. of '16 and who knows how old the tires really were.

My dealership has always done right by me so that's where I went. The package included 4 tires for the price of 3, a four wheel alignment, nitrogen, and mounting and balancing. When I picked up my truck I only drove home in the dark and parked it for the next week or so. I didn't notice it that night but when I went to drive it again I found that the steering wheel what oriented to 1 o'clock rather than 12 o'clock. At first I rationalized that I could probably live with it but after about 10 miles it really was bothering me! On my way back home I stopped by the dealership and the service manager assured me that they'd correct it as soon as I could get it in.

Another week went by and the truck stayed parked, but last week Wednesday I needed to haul two box springs and a king mattress on my Harbor Freight utility trailer about 25 miles to a drop-off location. ($28 vs. the sanitation company charging $120 to pick the three up!!) On the way back I heard a single chime and then got two warning messages, "Trailer Brake System needs service" and "Service Electronic Trailer Braking System." Also, the cruise control wouldn't engage and the ESC warning light was lit on the dash. I stopped at the dealership and the service manager suggested checking the fuses as the "trailer braking system is highly sensitive. Once home, all the fuses checkout but I did make an appointment for today to correct the misaligned steering wheel and to check out the electronic issues.

Happily, I just got a call that the truck was done. It seems that the misaligned steering wheel eventually caused the ESC system to light up. Because the trailer sway and braking system is integrated with the ESC that is the reason those warnings were lit up. None-the-less, the wheel is straight up, the truck drives straight down the road and the warning light is out! I had a coupon for a free oil change so I drove away for "no charge." Sometimes things work out!!!!!!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My tightwad nature overcame common sense on my old '02 Cummins dually several years ago now. The Michelins had a fair amount of tread left on them but were getting weather checked.

I figured I could get one more summer out of them.

So, barreling along at 70MPH southbound on I-29 through the wilds of North Dakota one hot July day towing the boat.... BOOM! Front passenger side tire blew.

Wife was driving. I reached over and helped her keep it steady. We managed to get off on the shoulder okay. I changed the tire and we continued on to Fargo. Fortunately Sam's Club had a set of six tires.

Lesson learned.