New to Dodge Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KramerSM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hello, I just bought a new to me 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi 4 door 4x4 with 75,000KM on it.
I have only ever had small trucks previous to this beast like a 93 Tacoma and a 03 Ranger but I was looking for a new full size truck to haul my bikes around and have more cab space. I was never a Dodge fan at all and I leaned more towards the Ford and GMC side, but the deal was offered at an unbelievable bargain so I jumped on it. After a lot of research on these trucks its hard to find anything bad said about the Rams at all.. especially the motors. The only bad thing that was said more than once was the front ends are a little weak which is every newer truck it seems now-a-days.

So anyway, I'm new to the Rams and the 5.7L Hemi but I'm VERY happy with my purchase even though I haven't had much seat time. Its insanely torquey and always RIGHT THERE with the slight press of the pedal. Obviously I will need to save for new tires, yearly.
I have a few questions about aftermarket parts and any problems with these trucks that Ram owners would like to share that I could not find out.

So, first things first, Are these front ends "weaker" than most half ton truck out there? Our company's, 3500 Chev express van, truly hates ball joints and wheel bearings, so I am used to it. Is there anything specific I should check on the truck that is known for going bad or may be bad other than wear parts? What about the little quirks of the third generation Rams? God knows the Toyota had a ton. Does this Ram's 5.7 have MDS? ( I'm pretty positive it does not) Any recommended advice? What to expect?

And of course the aftermarket parts, being my first V8 Hemi and all. I am defiantly buying an exhaust for the truck. I am torn between the Magna flows deep growl and the Flow-master 50-series. Has anyone had experience with these exhausts quality? I like that the Magna-flow is stainless but I'm not sure it sounds loud enough for me from the Youtube videos. I'm looking for a nice sounding idle and a head turning sound on the gas but nothing obnoxious that can be heard for Km's The Flow-master is almost the same price but not stainless so I assume they will eventually rust off. I am looking for a Cat-back system and I don't really mind having a single out instead of fake duals out. Do I go with 2.5" pipe or 3" for the exhaust? What about resonators? Any recommendations on how to have the exhaust set up? What Magnaflow is equivalent to the 50/40 series Flow-master their site is confusing?
And finally Will the Ram sport 20" chrome star wheels or the new 13+ ,20" sport wheels fit on my 05?

That should be all my questions for now I appreciate anyone who offers me their input and advice!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum, as far as the front ends on the 1500s, they're not as heavy duty as a solid front axle but that's to be expected. About the same as any other truck with independent front suspension. My lower control arm bushings have been replaced but I attribute that to being dried up from not being driven much. They just started to creak.

The 5.7 rams do have MDS, but that didn't start until 06. So yours doesn't have it. And as far as the exhaust, mines all stock so I don't have much experience there.

Black1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '05 just like yours and the owner that I bought it from had a Flowmaster installed. I'm not exactly sure about the specs as I didn't install it myself but I'll tell you this, it sounds like a beast.

In terms of the wheels, they should fit. I believe that all 1500s have the same bolt pattern . Maybe someone with more experience could chime in.

djyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 05 and had Flowmaster dual exhaust. Muffller was replaced yearly on warranty after towing a 6000 pound trailer through the mountains. After the 3rd muffler we switched to dual thrush glass packs. Loud as hell now!