New to me '06 Ram 1500 - faulty seat belt wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Berry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps there is more going on than the seatbelt circuit in the electrical, but we got this Ram with the brake light, washer light, and seat belt warning light always on.
I was able to handle the brake light by pulling the connector off the parking brake switch, so I do think that was a defective switch. I attempted to jump the connectors on the seat belt plug, attempting to close that circuit and turn off the seat belt light off, since it remains on regardless of the seat belt being buckled. I do not believe the key programming mode will help, since it needs to sense the belt buckle being buckled and not, so that's out. I'm thinking the wire is broke somewhere. I assume the black (ground?) and the green wire with the gray tracer circuit should be closed when the buckle is in? This Ram has power seats and they do work, so not everything in this harness is defective. I attempted to take the plug off leading to the power seat control under the seat and jump the connectors there (black to green[gray tracer]) and that still didn't turn off the seat belt illumination and chime when you drive. I'd like to know if anyone knows what would be the next junction or closest source to where these wires start. I plan to simply solder them together, rather than run a new wire pair to the seat.
I also mentioned the washer light also illuminating regardless of reservoir level, I'm also wondering if these just by coincidence perhaps share a ground that might be lifted? I did attempt to ground out the seat belt green wire, but that didn't seem to make a difference. I do have voltage on the green wire, but perhaps not enough?

Ideas? Thanks!