New to Rams and need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRPalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So I have noticed a strange dragging sensation from my truck. I seems to sometimes do it if I go from Park into reverse and start moving or when turning very sharp to the left at slow speeds almost coasting. If it happens in reverse while in a dirt parking lot you can see where the drivers rear tire dragged a little. Im not really sure what is going on here. Any insight would be helpful, Thanks

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Check the bearings in your rear end. Kinda sounds like they may be failing or have failed.

OP
OP
L

LRPalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Oh lord, sounds like a pain to change those.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually they are not that bad, depending upon if they come out with the axle or stay in the housing. My Nissan the bearings were press fit to the axle and came off with it so I took just the axle too a shop that had the equipment to press off and on the bearings. If the bearings stay in the housing then all you have to get is a bearing puller to remove the old ones and then a something to install the new bearings. To check to see if it is bearings you can jack up the rear of your truck, making sure that you block the front end, then spin the tires with the e-brake off. You should feel and hear anything that is wrong.
Something else check the brakes over first before you go all out on the bearings. If a master cylinder is sticking then it could also make noises like what you describe at times.

OP
OP
L

LRPalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Ohhhh your talking about the bearings at the end of the tubes. I have done those on my Ranger before, pretty easy. Do these trucks have c clip axles or not?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ohhhh your talking about the bearings at the end of the tubes. I have done those on my Ranger before, pretty easy. Do these trucks have c clip axles or not?

Not real sure on the c-clips in the axle. I have not had any rear end problems myself as of yet. But do check the brakes first before you start taking the axles out.

Oh and :welcome: to Ram Forums.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes, they do have the C clips in the axle.

I have had my diff apart before, the bearing stayed in the housing, didn't have issue with that, mine was a pinion bearing that I kept as a paperweight. It isn't that hard to fix the axle bearings, but you have to drain the diff to do it.

Edit: Oh and since you have to take the brakes off to be able to pull the axles, you will know if its your brakes before you get that far, just do that before you drain the diff......

OP
OP
L

LRPalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So I just jacked up the rear end. The passenger side spins freely while the driver side you can spin freely 75% of the way and then there is a slight bit of resistance then frees up again

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just jacked up the rear end. The passenger side spins freely while the driver side you can spin freely 75% of the way and then there is a slight bit of resistance then frees up again

Check the brakes Like an above poster said. If it was a bearing then you would have known immediately due to the grinding sensation and dragging through the rotation. May be the e-brake cable or possibly a warped drum. :buffer:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could that be caused by a warped rotor? ??

Actually yes. If your rotor is warped it will spin free for a little bit then bind at one or more spots. An easy fix if you know what you are doing, but if you take it to a brake shop you get a warrantee on the labor. :893karatesmiley-thu

Wchnu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had that problem on a ford ranger once. ( In my defense it is a truck I inherited from my Grandad. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk