New truck prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgerk9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How can we continue to enjoy our trucks for what they are, if the price is so high?? Get rid of all stuff you don't NEED, just necessity, 2 wheel or 4 drive.
I personally don't want a large screen multi meda display, or a bunch of junk
I would love to buy a hybrid truck that's still a truck. But not at 50000$. That's just dumb.

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my 24 tradesmen night edition for 38k. 5.7 E torque. No bells and whistles.
Didn’t help my point. :-/ lol congrats. Beautiful. Was it $38k otd or +++?

OP
OP
D

dodgerk9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good morning. I'm happy for people who get a somewhat far price, however in the very near future that will be the exception. In 1996 I bought a 4x4 Ram 1500 V8 work special 18950$ , in 2014 a 4x4 Ram quad cab 1500 36900$ . I'm priced out.
I have a good job for my area mid Mich. Now with inflation and new union contracts, what do you think our price for a gas Ram or a covenant hybrid will be? If you're not in a inflated wage job you will not be able to buy a truck.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
to some degree it is all relative. I grew up in the 60's..a pair of levis at 4.99 cost more than lees which my parents bought for us kids so if I wanted levis like the cool kids at school, I had to mow yards or do odd jobs for neighbors to get a pair. now they are 40$ but pay has gone up accordingly. my brand new '67 olds 442 with 4 on the floor was 3500$ I think. there is no olds anymore but a similar car probably costs 50k now but again, folks get paid more now. it is just a never ending spiral.

OP
OP
D

dodgerk9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hay their people. Not being a downer just a realistic.
Now for my 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 sport.
I need a upgrade rear differential, a pos trak, or min slip. I'm done with this one wheel wonder. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Prices are a complicated thing and it is very difficult to adequately compare trucks that are decades, or even a few years apart. Safety features, technology upgrades, bells and whistles, features and specs all need to be considered. One comparison to an above posting is that I bought a new 2018 2500 4x4 6.4 CC LB with 2 packages for less than the 2014 mentioned. No way to know what trim the 2014 1500 was so can't say much more.

Just for the heck of it, based on inflation the 1996 WS above would cost about $29k for the identical truck in 2014. And one other thing for thought and worth the money you are paying for it; in one of my marketing studies years ago one presentation revealed that the original name of the Sport Trak by Ford was Ranger but focus group studies found naming it Explorer, with no difference in features, would command a higher price. I don't have that data anymore so can't prove that but did see some of the study design to know it appeared to be a valid test.

OP
OP
D

dodgerk9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for putting the cost relative to inflation. My 1500 is very basic, but as we know if a name plate is popular it will cost more. I just think it would be wise for corporate to stop loading up all vehicles. Get back to the practical basic usable work truck, two doors or four. Keep the prices down, with a modular system for adding options at the dealership. Today's technology that is very possible.
I guess I'm just to idealistic. I don't need all the gadgets. People need a basic change of thoughts when it comes to what they need to what they want, and don't let companies tell them what they want.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Thank you for putting the cost relative to inflation. My 1500 is very basic, but as we know if a name plate is popular it will cost more. I just think it would be wise for corporate to stop loading up all vehicles. Get back to the practical basic usable work truck, two doors or four. Keep the prices down, with a modular system for adding options at the dealership. Today's technology that is very possible.
I guess I'm just to idealistic. I don't need all the gadgets. People need a basic change of thoughts when it comes to what they need to what they want, and don't let companies tell them what they want.

Why would the manufacturer want to keep the price down when they are selling the more expensive (and more profitable) versions? They aren't in the business to make vehicles. They are in the market to make money. Vehicles is just how they do that, and until the market rejects the constant move up market it will continue.

Plus see on this forum how many people buy that complexity and then are scared of it, so they throw more money at it in the form of extended warranties to alleviate their fear. That incentivizes dealers as well.

The last hold out in the low cost wars is fleet sales. If the truck you're interested in has a 'fleet only' option, see what the requirements are to buy a one truck fleet. Some dealers will still work with you, or at least they would pre-COVID. I was eligible for fleet sales from various suppliers if I had a supervisor sign a letter on our letterhead that I would use it at least part time for work related purposes. I'm a supervisor, so it was pretty easy to get me to sign the letter if I wanted to use that option.