Next upgrade suggestion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 motor in it. I recently purchased an installed a S&B Cold Air Intake on it. Looking what to leap into next. Was thinking of going with a bigger throttle body from Moes. Would I be taking the right step or should I go a different route?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I bet nobody gives you this advice, but what I'm gonna do soon as I can is get the Sharadon valve body and perhaps the torque convertor. Nothing wrong with getting more air like you are thinking, but the weakest parts of these trucks are the tranny, the valve body upgrade gets more of your HP in your tires and in addition strengthens your transmission. Kill two birds with one stone, and you can get the no core option and if by chance anything ever happens to your transmission, you can switch for warranty issues.

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
Tuner...and a TB wouldn't hurt either.

retiredfireman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bet nobody gives you this advice, but what I'm gonna do soon as I can is get the Sharadon valve body and perhaps the torque convertor. Nothing wrong with getting more air like you are thinking, but the weakest parts of these trucks are the tranny, the valve body upgrade gets more of your HP in your tires and in addition strengthens your transmission. Kill two birds with one stone, and you can get the no core option and if by chance anything ever happens to your transmission, you can switch for warranty issues.

^^^what's the pricetag on that one?

I'd say that's a good one, but a tuner I am sure is cheaper and easier to manage.

a TB is a good 5 minute install and good benefits fro it.

I'd say headers- worth the $$ IMHO.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i agree with Burla.... i certainly haven't regretted getting the valvebody and torque converter combo.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
For your next mod, I would consider a tuner or a tq converter. The valvebody is nice for the faster shifts, but it isn't going to make your truck noticeable quicker like the Tuner or converter will.

With you having a 2010, I would consider the Superchips Flashpaq if you plan to keep it simple, or go with Diablo with a custom Hemifever tune if you plan to go all out with the truck. The Superchips is cheaper at only $339, but Hemifever will be able to pull out a few extra hp for you with his custom tuning.

As for the throttle body, it is another nice supporting mod, but you will gain more from the tuner or converter. Big plus to the throttle body is that it is only a 5-10 minute install.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Moes my question is can a tuner change my shifts points easily? And if it will change my shift points will it be as solid as the upgraded valve body? The thing I hate the most about my truck is driving down the street sometimes at 15 MPH and my truck already being in 4th gear. As far as performance goes, anything that can help me with that is what i want first. if I hit the gas pedal in that situation, all I get is bog until the transmission kicks down and then I get the violent reaction instead of a nice hard shift.

I am really asking here because I do not know, but what I get from reading the forum was the valve body would be the most help here, but if I can fix this with a tuner and a transmission tune, I'd probably go that direction first. Advise me.

OP
OP

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For your next mod, I would consider a tuner or a tq converter. The valvebody is nice for the faster shifts, but it isn't going to make your truck noticeable quicker like the Tuner or converter will.

With you having a 2010, I would consider the Superchips Flashpaq if you plan to keep it simple, or go with Diablo with a custom Hemifever tune if you plan to go all out with the truck. The Superchips is cheaper at only $339, but Hemifever will be able to pull out a few extra hp for you with his custom tuning.

As for the throttle body, it is another nice supporting mod, but you will gain more from the tuner or converter. Big plus to the throttle body is that it is only a 5-10 minute install.
Moe, I wanna go with the Diablo programmer with a custom tune but wasnt sure if I should hold off until I get more upgrades done to my truck or not. An as for the throttle body, if I go that route, wasnt sure if i should go with the mild or wild one. Plan on doing a good many bolt ons, Just not all at one time.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moes my question is can a tuner change my shifts points easily? And if it will change my shift points will it be as solid as the upgraded valve body? The thing I hate the most about my truck is driving down the street sometimes at 15 MPH and my truck already being in 4th gear. As far as performance goes, anything that can help me with that is what i want first. if I hit the gas pedal in that situation, all I get is bog until the transmission kicks down and then I get the violent reaction instead of a nice hard shift.

I am really asking here because I do not know, but what I get from reading the forum was the valve body would be the most help here, but if I can fix this with a tuner and a transmission tune, I'd probably go that direction first. Advise me.

The Diablo tuners you can change shift points but I did a little experimenting with it and I wasn't able to get the RPMs exactly where I wanted them. I think if you had a dyno and someone with intamate knowledge of stock shift points compared to throttle %, you could probably get a shift pattern worked out with a programmer. For me I dont have the time to learn exactly where the predetermined shifts are, but let us know if you are up for the challenge of doing it. :D

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hey thanks man, to be honest I'm probably a lot lazier then you, and I really want the hard shifts anyway. I'm going Sharadon first, and if I'm not satisfied after that I will get the tuner. Talked to a transmission guy who told me there was a huge benefit to having the upgraded valve body.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Absolutely there is, I know on older non electroic transmissions you can make it so it won't panic shift into the next gear. I built a Ford C4 that would chirp through all the gears and hold whatever gear I wanted. Now I imagine with the computer controlled trannys it would be a little more difficult to do this but if you can fool the computer to think it needs more line pressure to shift to the next gear with a new valve body, yeah you could get your harder shifts out of that.

Edit: It has been awhile since I've torn into a transmission so if I have my thinking wrong please someone steer me in the right direction.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, those Bronco's were the good old days. But we got to work with what we have now. To be honest my truck is a lot more comfortable in my old age then those old carburetored c4's, just want a little more performance not a bone shaking ride.

TXCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
kind of pricey, but longtubes were definitely the best upgrade for me. Makes everything better, most noticeable hp gain of the mods i've done, finally has some acceleration/trans doesnt feel as sluggish, sounds 10x better

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
kind of pricey, but longtubes were definitely the best upgrade for me. Makes everything better, most noticeable hp gain of the mods i've done, finally has some acceleration/trans doesnt feel as sluggish, sounds 10x better

You have all the right mods so far. A converter is all you are missing to really bring it together.

The headers are a big upgrade as well though. Most guys with tuning are seeing in the neighborhood of 30hp/30tq from a set of longtubes. That is a very noticeable gain.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine

A good transmission tune is what you need. Hemifever can help with this, and you will gain more from the tune than from the VB. The VB is a great mod for the guys that are racing often and need the fast upshifts.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Moe, I wanna go with the Diablo programmer with a custom tune but wasnt sure if I should hold off until I get more upgrades done to my truck or not. An as for the throttle body, if I go that route, wasnt sure if i should go with the mild or wild one. Plan on doing a good many bolt ons, Just not all at one time.

The best part of going with Hemifever on the tuning is that future revisions are free. If you install the tuner now while the truck is stock, he will write a tune for the stock truck. Then a year down the road you may have headers, intake, TB, and exhaust...just shoot him an email, and he will revise the tune for you for free to support your new upgrades.

As for the throttle body, if you plan to add all the boltons, then I would go straight to the 87mm. The 87mm wont have any ill effects on the truck in stock form, but it will really start to shine once you add the other supporting mods.

OP
OP

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The best part of going with Hemifever on the tuning is that future revisions are free. If you install the tuner now while the truck is stock, he will write a tune for the stock truck. Then a year down the road you may have headers, intake, TB, and exhaust...just shoot him an email, and he will revise the tune for you for free to support your new upgrades.

As for the throttle body, if you plan to add all the boltons, then I would go straight to the 87mm. The 87mm wont have any ill effects on the truck in stock form, but it will really start to shine once you add the other supporting mods.
Ok, if I go with the tuner should I go with the DiabloSport InTune Programmer or the DiabloSport Trinity Tuner?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Tuning is the exact same between the 2, so it all comes down to whether you want the monitor or not. If you want to just load the tune and remove the tuner, then go with the InTune and save some money. If you prefer to have the monitor, then the Trinity is the way to go.

OP
OP

96ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tuning is the exact same between the 2, so it all comes down to whether you want the monitor or not. If you want to just load the tune and remove the tuner, then go with the InTune and save some money. If you prefer to have the monitor, then the Trinity is the way to go.
Thanks for all your help. Ill be getting in contact with ya sometime this month to order the programmer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the feeddback Moe, i will do that.