No compass reading on base instrument cluster display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Olsawblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hi folks. I'm hoping you can help out a newbie. I have a new 2020 RAM 1500 Classic Express Night edition. I'm loving it. It has the base EVIC and the Uconnect 4C radio head with 8.4" display.

According to the window sticker, the truck has a compass gauge (a feature of the Sub-zero package). But there is no compass reading in the instrument cluster display where it should appear (top left corner). I've had it into the dealer twice. They've done a bunch of tests and consulted with Chrysler tech support and everyone is stymied. They can't even confirm whether there is a compass module installed in the truck. They're still scratching their heads on this, but no progress yet. The problem has been unresolved for many weeks.

I wonder if any of you fine RAM owners have either encountered this issue or heard of it happening elsewhere. A compass is something I've had on previous vehicles and find it very handy when travelling in unknown areas in the dark. So before I bought the truck I looked for that feature on the spec sheet. It's there in writing, but not functional in the display.

Any thoughts? Thanks!!

OP
OP
Olsawblade

Olsawblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
No it does not. I've wondered if that is part of the problem. Is the compass module located there?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The compass for the EVIC is located in the overhead console on the 4th gen and Classics. On the 13 to 17 trucks the radio also displayed the compass heading on the top of the screen but they took that feature away on the 2018+ 8.4 Panasonic UAS/UAQ radios. The UAQ Nav radio shows the compass heading in the Nav icon only. With that being said you can actually add the overhead console with the compass module. You would need to cut the hole in the headliner to install the console and bracket and then add the correct wiring if your truck doesn't currently have it and then enable the correct codes with the Alfa tool. All of this sounds extremely difficult but it actually isn't that bad. It's a common upgrade. I'm pretty sure Mike at M2mods in the vendor section of the forum still makes the conversion harness to do it.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Olsawblade

Olsawblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thank you Ricks Ram. This is excellent information. Nice to get some direction from someone who knows what he's talking about. Too bad my dealer is clueless about this.

Just out of interest, can the console and bracket be installed without removing the headliner? That is, will the bracket slide through a hole cut for the install? It looks fairly big too me. Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you Ricks Ram. This is excellent information. Nice to get some direction from someone who knows what he's talking about. Too bad my dealer is clueless about this.

Just out of interest, can the console and bracket be installed without removing the headliner? That is, will the bracket slide through a hole cut for the install? It looks fairly big too me. Thanks!
Technically I think you can add just the compass module itself if you have the plug. It just needs to be mounted in the correct orientation and/or set to whatever orientation you have it in using AlfaOBD.

Someone chime in if I'm wrong...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You don't need to remove the headliner to install the overhead console. You just need to cut the hole and remove the sun visors and A pillar covers and lower it down enough to install the bracket. There may be some videos on YouTube or elsewhere showing how to do it. As stated you can also just add the wiring and mount the compass module somewhere else as long as it's orientated correctly but if you're going to do all that you might just want to install the console and have the benefits of the extra lighting.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Olsawblade

Olsawblade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks everyone!! Your info is much appreciated. I'm now ready to do battle with the dealer to see if they can assist with any of this. Not hopeful, but worth a shot.

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
If you don’t have a compass module...and you don’t want an overhead console look at this thread:

DIY: 2017-19/20 classic Overhead Mic and Compass harness install
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...p?posts/2346228/&share_type=t&link_source=app

I added a compass module and overhead mics without carving up the headliner (as I didn’t want a console)...of course I had to cut 2 small holes for the mics, but no biggie.

Look down thru the thread and the wiring details and compass module info is all there, along with the AlfaOBD programming.

In short, adding a compass module is easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dougt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi have sort say problem in my 2022 classic Compass dis play was working on dash and know all I get is this - - ya just those dashes.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi have sort say problem in my 2022 classic Compass dis play was working on dash and know all I get is this - - ya just those dashes.
Did you upgrade anything that didn't come factory? I had this issue and couldn't resolve it, but switching radios worked.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am just guessing on this .............

It could be a U.S. / Canadian thing ? just like the communications thing, up until recently, U.S. Ram phones did not work up in Canada, because there were no Satellites up north

You could consider upgrading your EVIC ??

On my 1500 model, a Radio setting had to be set to show direction on my EVIC

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I am just guessing on this .............

It could be a U.S. / Canadian thing ? just like the communications thing, up until recently, U.S. Ram phones did not work up in Canada, because there were no Satellites up north

You could consider upgrading your EVIC ??

On my 1500 model, a Radio setting had to be set to show direction on my EVIC
For reference, I had this same issue...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357