No DRL's in 2015 1500 Limited ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just picked up a super clean '15 Limited 1500 that is pretty much loaded with everything. I noticed it does not have DRL's. It appears to have the same headlights my '16 Longhorn 2500 has which had amber DRL's.

I looked through the owners manual and don't see it mentioned anywhere, even as an option. Odd, because our 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit had LED DRL's and it was a year older. Am I missing something? Is there a hard to find way to turn them on or does this just not have them?

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As far as I know know, in the US they weren't standard on production models as it was not required. My 2016 had them but it was a Canadian truck to begin with and it is required up there. I believe you can turn them on via OBD. Someone in here can give insight as I am not as well versed on the settings that can be adjusted.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You can enable the option with AlfaOBD, even have the option to turn the DRLs on/off via the 8.4 radio.
You can also select the fog lights, low beams or high beams as the DRLs. For either the High or Low beams, it best to not enable the DRL drop-out.

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, quick replies! Thanks to all of you.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't have Alpha OBD, just go to your local dealer and have them enable it. One did mine and didn't even charge me. Truck never even went into the shop. Pulled it into the service advisor bay and his computer with a wireless dongle that was plugged into my OBD port was what inputted the sales code and viola, I have DRL's in my amber LED's. Don't have a way to turn them off but that's fine, I wanted them on anyways.

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't have Alpha OBD, just go to your local dealer and have them enable it. One did mine and didn't even charge me. Truck never even went into the shop. Pulled it into the service advisor bay and his computer with a wireless dongle that was plugged into my OBD port was what inputted the sales code and viola, I have DRL's in my amber LED's. Don't have a way to turn them off but that's fine, I wanted them on anyways.

Thats is what I was hoping to hear! Hopefully mine will do the same, but I would even pay them a few bucks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats is what I was hoping to hear! Hopefully mine will do the same, but I would even pay them a few bucks.
I guess it just depends on the shop. I tried to get the dealer I bought the truck from do it but they kinda tried to tell me it wasn’t possible even after I told them exactly what the sales code was. I called up another dealer that wasn’t too far from home that’s a lot smaller and when I told them what the code was, he downloaded it and as I said before, he uploaded it lickety-split. He didn’t charge me because it only took like three minutes.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Just buy ALFAOBD and be done with it, you will be able to get so much done to it ... you won't need a security bypass harness so just the OBDII reader and the app .... spend the money on that! lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This was the last thing I did on my 18 Limited. I used ALPHAOBD. Now I can also go into the lighting settings on the 8.4 and turn them on/off. I chose the amber turn signal LEDs for DRL.
It really does pay for itself with the first use most of the time ... just so many things you can do with it

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just buy ALFAOBD and be done with it, you will be able to get so much done to it ... you won't need a security bypass harness so just the OBDII reader and the app .... spend the money on that! lol
I'm an old fart and this tech stuff baffles the hell out of me, unless there is a step by step how-to vid on youtube.

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess it just depends on the shop. I tried to get the dealer I bought the truck from do it but they kinda tried to tell me it wasn’t possible even after I told them exactly what the sales code was. I called up another dealer that wasn’t too far from home that’s a lot smaller and when I told them what the code was, he downloaded it and as I said before, he uploaded it lickety-split. He didn’t charge me because it only took like three minutes.
Where is the code? This is a small town and our dealer pretty much sucks.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is the code? This is a small town and our dealer pretty much sucks.
It was about four years ago when I did this and I got the code from somebody on here but if you call your dealership up, hopefully they won’t act too stupid and should be able to find the code to input into your truck.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm an old fart and this tech stuff baffles the hell out of me, unless there is a step by step how-to vid on youtube.
Search You Tube if you are serious because there are videos.

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Search You Tube if you are serious because there are videos.
Thanks. I will check with my dealer first and see what they say. If they are useless, I will go to plan B, the Alpha OBD and Youtube.

OP
OP
SeventyGTX

SeventyGTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got an appt for the dealer today and after an hour and a half waiting, they couldn't do it. Not sure if they didn't have the right code or what. So now I'm wondering if the dealer coudn't do it, could an AlphaOBD?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got an appt for the dealer today and after an hour and a half waiting, they couldn't do it. Not sure if they didn't have the right code or what. So now I'm wondering if the dealer coudn't do it, could an AlphaOBD?
That dealer I went to, I called them up and told them about it and once he got it, he called me up. Went in first thing on a Saturday morning and he got me right in and that was it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
there are 3 codes, you must only pick one

The three codes are LMK, LM1 and LM5

Go to the "dealerconnect" (or something like that) website. He went into the BCM and then to a screen called "add sales code" or (something like that) and entered my VIN. The left side of the screen populated with a list of possible sales codes for my VIN. About two dozen sales codes altogether.

This seems to be the DRL related sales code breakdown:

LMK is for the quad headlight style, That will enable the high beam lamp (at reduced brightness) to be the DRL.

LM5 is for projector style with LED park lights. The LED park lights will be the DRL.

LM1 is for another style that will use the low beam lamps (at reduced brightness) for DRL.

there is more, but any tech should be able to figure it out.

================================
This may be even more helpful

redram65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Good luck finding a dealer who'll do it for you, none of them around here would even discuss it. The ****** at the one I bought the truck from suggested I drive to a Canadian dealer .

I ended up going with an OBDGenie which is really the expensive way to go these days, $129, but it is super easy to use.

As others have suggested AlfaOBD, is the way to go.