No Jack in my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worked construction and a guy came on the radio that he had two flats on the skid steer trailer. He had rounded up two spares, but didn’t have a jack that could pick up the trailer with the skid steer on it.

The radio beeped and you hear this deep sigh and the owner goes “Son, you have the worlds biggest hydraulic jack on the trailer. Take it off and pick the trailer up with the bucket”.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
did you look under passenger seat? previous owner may have kept..... The jack in the Dodge Ram 1500 can be find inside the access panel at the bottom of the passenger side seat.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
One more vote for get a 2 or 3 ton bottle jack. Works way better. Will fit where standard jack goes or in the floor storage bins in the back seat if you have a crew cab. You do however need the OEM jack handle/extension if you want to run the spare tire up and down easily.

SUN4902A_1200Wx1200H.jpg

If you have a lifted truck these high lift versions work well.
th?id=OIP.jpg

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
That nice bottle jack with the stand, looks neat.
If you want to see if it works, and don't want to let the air out , I would not want as well,
Get a 4x4 or scraps or 2x4 and make a stand about the same height as the side wall of the tire.
Then put that stack under the truck frame and see if the jack will sit on it and clear the frame
I have not had my jack out, other than to check it and the winch on the truck since about 1998 in a blizzard at -25 with a load in the truck.

I do carry a big ass breaker bar and 2 good sockets, under the back seat.
I run winter rims and they use a special splined socket.

I don't think I could change the nuts with the factory handle as my hands have no strength in them any more.
And older trucks, check the spare tire winch , those can go to hell, if running in salt.

Re,the skid steer driver, I picked up one on the road yrs ago, walking down a country road.
He had blow tire up on the trailer, and no spare. I asked him why did you not just unhook the trailer , and drive back to town? He gave me that "look" , so I dove him back the 1/2 mile to his truck . I have had brain farts at times al well, but not that bad.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i carry a plug kit and a viair pump.1,because i'm lazy and B,because my spare is too big to fit the spare tire spot and i have to deflate it to get it in there,and if i air it up once it's up there its almost impossible to drop it.i'd much rather plug it and swap when i get home.i never claimed to be very bright.plus i have the proper equipment at home,like a real floor jack and air tools and a torque wrench

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't spend 10 cents on the crappy OEM scissor jack but you might want the extension bars to lower the spare, at almost any cost. :cool:

I have a 3-ton high-lift trolley jack at home and for the road, bought this 12-ton bottle jack last week on sale at Canadian Tire for about $48.

Yes, I do plan to test it, sooner than later. And, find a better home for it than free-ranging in the backseat area. I selected this specific jack because I believe it should provide the necessary lift for both the front & rear.

I also always carry a compressor while on proper road trips. That paid for itself many times over when it allowed me to drive with a leak from the backwoods of North Florida to a tire shop in High Springs.

O ya, I also have a 2' breaker bar with a 6-point socket that lives in the backseat area.
The OEM jack bits are only toys and about the last thing I'd want to be screwing around with during an Arctic blast day. And we all know, most things break when it's nasty out, up here at least. LOL

ctc 12 ton bottle jack.jpg

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...onal-bottle-jack-12-ton-0091532p.html?loc=plp

Last edited:

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the stock, but I carry this when on trips (see pic below). Also carry a breaker bar with 22 MM (12) duh, 6 point, not 12 under rear seat.

View attachment 515054
My Power Wagon is on 37" tires. In addition to the factory jack, safe and sound in its spot, I carry one of these laid on top of my 5th spare in the bed.
PowerBuilt 3 Ton All-In-One Jack.jpeg
Lift, lock, and level with the Powerbuilt 3-Ton All-in-One Jack. This all-in-one jack looks like a jack stand but lifts like a bottle jack. The versatile all-in-one jack is great for lifted trucks, Jeeps and SUVs, as well as decks, foundations and other construction projects. The lift range of the all-in-one jack is 11 to 21 in. The load capacity of the all-in-one jack is 6,000 lb.
hi-lift-hilxt-605-1 (hz).jpg
I have RamBoxes and a factory tonneau cover. I also have a 60" High-Lift X-TREME in a bed rail mount along the passenger side. I keep all my recovery accessories in the Starboard side box just above the jack.
Two is One and One is None is an edict that I live by wheeling all over the world in Land Cruisers, Jeeps and HMMWVs and it has served me very well. Also, the concept of the right tool for the right job may mean that I travel a bit heavy, but that's part of the reason why I have a Power Wagon in the first place. We used all three (2 Winches, Hi-Lift, and Bottle Jack) to recover an overzealous TRX driver who slid sideways into a ditch. Sometimes more throttle is not the answer - even if you can! Instead of waiting for wreckers and a very expensive assist, an AEV Prospector 3500 Ram and I were able to get him out and back on the trail without additional damage. We work for Beer!

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
those farm jacks are super handy.i have 4' and a 3'.i use them to get my docks off the shore and back into the water every spring.i jack them up,then kick them over.it inches the docks in till they're floating.i couldn't do it without them.plus you can winch with them.i even used mine very creatively to straighten out a bent rock slider on my side by side that needed to be bent back down.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two is One and One is None is an edict that I live by wheeling all over the world in Land Cruisers, Jeeps and HMMWVs and it has served me very well. Also, the concept of the right tool for the right job may mean that I travel a bit heavy, but that's part of the reason why I have a Power Wagon in the first place.

I use that edict every time I go Cave diving and in almost every part of my life. If the guidelines call for 3 lights, I carry 4 or 5 depending on the dive location. :cool:

I've been eye-balling that Powerbuilt 3-in-one for quite some time but the Amazon.ca price is ridiculous. I'll wait till the US/Canadian border stupidity ends and have one delivered to my US address. :cool:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I use that edict every time I go Cave diving and in almost every part of my life. If the guidelines call for 3 lights, I carry 4 or 5 depending on the dive location. :cool:

I've been eye-balling that Powerbuilt 3-in-one for quite some time but the Amazon.ca price is ridiculous. I'll wait till the US/Canadian border stupidity ends and have one delivered to my US address. :cool:
here in B.C,across the border in washington state there's parcel post places where you have your U.S parcels shipped to them and they store them till you hop the border and pick it up 24/7

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
here in B.C,across the border in washington state there's parcel post places where you have your U.S parcels shipped to them and they store them till you hop the border and pick it up 24/7

I have the same deal here with about a 43-minute drive to Ogdensburg, NY. myusaddress.ca has regular business hours AFAIK but I've successfully used the service for many years.

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I don't see the ability on any electric jacks that can lift any Ram truck high enough to remove the tire. Those are more for low cars unless someone can add it for us to see the height. I need 24" just to reach the bottom of the frame

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't see the ability on any electric jacks that can lift any Ram truck high enough to remove the tire. Those are more for low cars unless someone can add it for us to see the height. I need 24" just to reach the bottom of the frame
I pick my truck up on a weekly basis with my 12v jack.If you need more lift, throw a couple short pieces of 2X6 or 2X8 in your truck. :waytogo: :cheers:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good tip, but "Weekly basis"? Why would you need to lift your truck on a weekly basis? Just curious.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good tip, but "Weekly basis"? Why would you need to lift your truck on a weekly basis? Just curious.
155 miles to my local track,the drag radials don't make that trip,so they get bolted on at the track.Wife also races her 1320 Challenger and it also gets the tires swapped at the track,so my 12 volt jacks get a weekly work out when i swap the drag radials onto each,then swap the street tires back on at the end of the night so they can drive home again ;)

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Spend 12 bucks a year and get roadside assistance on your car insurance. My 16 grand Caravan doesn't have a spare. Just a compressor and some tire sealer.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spend 12 bucks a year and get roadside assistance on your car insurance. My 16 grand Caravan doesn't have a spare. Just a compressor and some tire sealer.

Sounds like a great plan for life in a big city or urban area.

I may be more patient as I age but not waiting for a tow or vehicle rescue.
The last time I called for a tow, it was about a 5-hour wait and the weather was clear, imagine if there was a storm. :cool:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I agree RamDriver. When I need a jack or recovery gear, there is no roadside assistance coming to help. I once had a flat between Providence and Fort Simpson, on the main highway. Just for Poops and giggles, called Chrysler Roadside assistance on the Sat phone as the truck was still brand new. After they finally located me on their map, they said, 4-5 days to get me a tow truck. Most other places I have needed gear, a tow truck can't even get into.