Noisy engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I have an enginge noise that is not normal , I've had it at the dealer 3 times now, but never lasted long enough, and they said the noise is just a normal 6.4. Now the noise does not stop and got louder. Listen to the attached video.

OP
OP
StansRam

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I was not aware, thank you. My engine is rattling something fierce.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Obviously, no warning lights, do what's called a torque stand hold foot on brake pedal put in drive and increase the engine rpm and see if the noise gets worse or more pronounced, it may be in the lower end meaning main bearings rods or rod bearings, some 6.4 have had allot of valve chatter, we for sure need a sound clip.

OP
OP
StansRam

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I am not very savvy with electronics. I tried to attach a sound clip, but was told I cannot do this on the forum. It sounds pretty bad, and worse when you rev it up. I have an appointment Tuesday at the dealer. What's strange is the day before this happen it was just the same noises as usual, next day started it, and sounds like a bunch of cladder with no oil.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, not to state the obvious. Did U check the oil level? Look under truck for any evidence of an oil leak, like at plug or filter?
Pretty new ride? 2022. What does the oil look like? Clean, dirty, foamy, smell like gas, bad consistency?

Other owners:: Did they go to the 0 W 20 on the 22 6.4's???

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, not to state the obvious. Did U check the oil level? Look under truck for any evidence of an oil leak, like at plug or filter?
Pretty new ride? 2022. What does the oil look like? Clean, dirty, foamy, smell like gas, bad consistency?

Boid, I don't know about the 2022's, but the 2023 6.4 models use 0W-40.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

0w-40

OP
OP
StansRam

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I was not aware, thank you. My engine is rattling something fierce.

You'll need to have the video hosted on a site like YouTube then post a link to that video.
I may have done it wrong again, I posted my results on report. I just returned home from the dealership to have my truck fixed. The problem seemed to be the torque converter bolt had backed out along withe a couple others loose. The mechanic went onto there Ram site and found thar this is a known problem. I am glad it was not the Hemi tick, and the engine is alot quieter now since I bought it. I hope this helps someone else who maybe hearing alote of metallic rattling this something else to look at.