Noisy HVAC Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcus Bancroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My A/C fan seems to be noisy compared to other vehicles I have owned. is there a way to squirt some Wd 40 up in there ?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
They're mechanically noisy. Upgrading to the v6 fan would tone it down a bit, or running a lower thermostat and tuning so it comes on at a higher operating temp instead of automatically with the A/C.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They're mechanically noisy. Upgrading to the v6 fan would tone it down a bit, or running a lower thermostat and tuning so it comes on at a higher operating temp instead of automatically with the A/C.

Dude, HVAC fan, not motor/cooling fan.

OP, they are noisy in the trucks (chirping sound on low settings), had mine replaced under warranty and it came back after a bit, I just live with it.

If you have a cabin filter check it and make sure its clean as well.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Dude, HVAC fan, not motor/cooling fan.

OP, they are noisy in the trucks (chirping sound on low settings), had mine replaced under warranty and it came back after a bit, I just live with it.

If you have a cabin filter check it and make sure its clean as well.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The heater fan is pretty easy to remove. The motor is mounted to the underside of the heater box on the passenger side under the glove box. You will have to remove the trim panel to get to the motor. It is 3 screws and an electrical connector to get the motor out.

I pulled mine out when I did the cabin filter mod to clean out any plastic pieces that fell down there.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My A/C fan seems to be noisy compared to other vehicles I have owned. is there a way to squirt some Wd 40 up in there ?

Hi @Marcus Bancroft - Please do not hesitate to send us a PM if you decide to address this with your dealer and any additional support is needed for that process!

Mark
RamCares

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The heater fan is pretty easy to remove. The motor is mounted to the underside of the heater box on the passenger side under the glove box. You will have to remove the trim panel to get to the motor. It is 3 screws and an electrical connector to get the motor out.

I pulled mine out when I did the cabin filter mod to clean out any plastic pieces that fell down there.
Do you have pictures of what you're referring too? I lost some pieces 4 years ago in there and it still bothers me. I need some projects while these strange times blow over...
Using a spray in HVAC cleaner "may" work to lubricate some noisy parts in the system.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have pictures of what you're referring too? I lost some pieces 4 years ago in there and it still bothers me. I need some projects while these strange times blow over...Using a spray in HVAC cleaner "may" work to lubricate some noisy parts in the system.

I can get you pictures after work today of the under dash area.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled mine, disassembled the motor, and cleaned the bearings, and packed them with grease.

Much quieter now. Worth the 30 minutes of time.

I guess if I was smart, I would have gotten the bearing dimensions, and bought some high grade ABEC bearings; but...the grease and brake cleaner was right there in my garage...

If anyone has an 'extra' HVAC fan motor, PM me and I'll do a tear down how-to.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I pulled mine, disassembled the motor, and cleaned the bearings, and packed them with grease.

Much quieter now. Worth the 30 minutes of time.

I guess if I was smart, I would have gotten the bearing dimensions, and bought some high grade ABEC bearings; but...the grease and brake cleaner was right there in my garage...

If anyone has an 'extra' HVAC fan motor, PM me and I'll do a tear down how-to.
Do you think a white lithium grease (WD-40 brand) would do or does it need to be something specific?

Last edited:

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you think a white lithium grease (WD-40 brand) would do or does it need to be something specific?

Any oil / grease is fine; just know that the bearings have dust shields that have to be removed for the lubricant to be packed into the races.

Here's a good video on removing the dust shields:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any oil / grease is fine; just know that the bearings have dust shields that have to be removed for the lubricant to be packed into the races.

Here's a good video on removing the dust shields:
Awesome thank you!