Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Normal for ball joints to go out after @ 70k miles?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by rklus16, Sep 2, 2019.

1. rklus16

rklus16 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    I noticed my driver's side rear tire had some uneven wear so I took it to my local tire shop for an alignment. I was told the ball joints were to loose for them to do the alignment. Not unsafe to drive but needed to be replaced soon. Just wondered if this was a "normal"? Truck is completely stock.

Before buying this truck I had read of the many front-end issues plaguing the previous generation trucks but sounded like Ram stepped up their game with the 4th gens. I was hoping to get well over 100k before even having to worry about front-end issues.

I bought the truck with 45k miles. Tow occasionally but nothing super heavy. We just upgraded from a travel trailer to a 10k lbs gvwr fifth wheel. So I don't feel this is a lot of stress on it.

Aftermarket warranty should pay for it but I have to take it back to the dealership I bought it from. Just a little concerning. I felt with the weight of the diesel that the front-end components are the weakest link.

I'm going to request moogs to be installed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. muddy12

muddy12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Disregard, didn’t notice this was the HD section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ribtipram

Ribtipram Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Well while we are here my 14 1500 fronts went bad around 60k

4. rklus16

rklus16 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Update:
    I took the truck in to the dealer today to get it inspected...They came back to me asking exactly why I was at the dealership and I explained what I was told by the local tire shop that the ball joints were to loose and wouldn't complete the alignment for me. The dealership reported that the lower ball joints had no movement and the upper left and right were 0.004" and 0.006". Well within the spec of 0.060". They completed the alignment for me and took my money. Hopefully this fixes the tire wear.

This local tire shop I have always felt was straight forward with us. So I'm not sure where they figure the ball joints were to loose.

5. muddy12

muddy12 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    What kind of wear were you seeing?
    Ball joint and alignment usually cause wear on the front tires, not the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. rklus16

rklus16 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Driver's side rear tire has more wear on the outside edge than the inside. Dealer said rear tires were all perfectly in spec as alignment goes. They weren't sure why the rear would be wearing like that. Front toe was off just a bit. Basically said to monitor the wear.

7. crazy jerry

crazy jerry Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    tire shops generally dont know their a$$ from their elbow. the bottom joint is a ball. the top is basically just a locating pin. nothing should be even close to wore out at 70k highway miles. moog is junk. emf or dynatrac are the best your money can buy

8. rklus16

rklus16 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    Just irritates me that they'd lie that blatantly. I would understand if the dealership would have came back and said there was some slop but within spec but to be told basically no movement is infuriating.

9. RodeoRam

RodeoRam Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    @rklus16, Sears told me the same thing on my 2001 the first time I put new tires on it. Just like you, I took it to the dealership, and they showed me that the front end was still within specs. My ball joints lasted about 80k more miles.

I think it is more of a case of the alignment guy not wanting to do the job. I saw our alignment guys when I worked in the Wal-Mart shop years ago turn down vehicles for the most minor things because some vehicles take longer or are more difficult than others and lowers their commission/time ratio.

GsRAM likes this.
  10. JD Mark

JD Mark Member

Ram Year:
    2014, 2016, 2016
    Engine:
    6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
    Next time you go, they're going to tell you your muffler bearings need to be replaced.

And you need to use nitrogen in your tires.

Should also switch from summer air to winter air.

If a ball joint was so bad that it was causing a rear tire to wear unevenly, you wouldn't be able to drive up the road.