Now I Know What It Means

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So I purchased a new Jeep Wrangler JL (the 4 door model) and I've been shopping for some off-road accessories so I can take it out on the trails here.

I also plan to take a longer trip this Fall up through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, etc...

So yesterday I purchased a roof rack/basket, a front winch bumper with a light bar and provisions to mount my stock LED foglights to it, a rear bumper with tire carrier and a few other accessories.

Anyway, now I know what the acronym of JEEP means:

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

--O||||||O--

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That goes along with what BOAT stands for:
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Along with Harley Davidson accessories just have HD on the package:
Hundreds of
Dollars

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You think a Jeep is bad? Get a power wagon lol

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The real skill is making use of what you have and keeping your wallet in your pocket.

I can't believe how often I see people say they want to get started overlanding and wonder if it will be OK with just one locker and 35's... dude, the hardest core trails you can imagine were cut by your grandpa with 29" tires and open diffs. The weakest Jeep you can buy today has BLD and regular all terrain tires today are better than any tires used to be.

Build a jeep if your hobby is building stuff but if you wanna travel the only thing you need to spend money on is gas!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I purchased a new Jeep Wrangler JL (the 4 door model) and I've been shopping for some off-road accessories so I can take it out on the trails here.

I also plan to take a longer trip this Fall up through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, etc...

So yesterday I purchased a roof rack/basket, a front winch bumper with a light bar and provisions to mount my stock LED foglights to it, a rear bumper with tire carrier and a few other accessories.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

--O||||||O--

Glad to hear that the Jeep is getting some more mods done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just got the rear cargo mat with gap hider & seat back protector installed. That's going to save the rear cargo area carpet from dying an early, dirty death.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The real skill is making use of what you have and keeping your wallet in your pocket.

I can't believe how often I see people say they want to get started overlanding and wonder if it will be OK with just one locker and 35's... dude, the hardest core trails you can imagine were cut by your grandpa with 29" tires and open diffs. The weakest Jeep you can buy today has BLD and regular all terrain tires today are better than any tires used to be.

Build a jeep if your hobby is building stuff but if you wanna travel the only thing you need to spend money on is gas!

Lockers were not on my list as I am very familiar with the BLD system and how it works. I also know how to wheel off-road in many different conditions without lockers or some of the other more radical mods many folks install. However, there are things I know I'll need out on the trail.

What I don't have is a place where I can fab my own front winch & rear tire carrier bumpers or the roof rack. I also want to avoid having to drop off the trail and hit the pavement every time I need something I am not carrying with me. I want to be prepared to be self-sufficient out there and be able to get home.

I'm not building because I want to build. I am building because I know what I will need. And it's gonna be a few more things than just a few gallons of gas.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So after all the offroad bits and pieces were installed we've been out on the trails here in Arizona. The Jeep performs well and we've been having a great time getting out there.

Here's a few pics from the trails.

20211023_114155.jpg

20211023_114607.jpg

20211023_135030.jpg

20211023_105559.jpg

20211023_105525.jpg

12.jpg

05.jpg

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good @mad dog The boys and I were actually discussing them today as the wife wants a new 22 Grand Cherokee L. I told the boys probably 60% of Jeep owners never take them off roading. They have become family wagons. Its really sad. I am glad that you are enjoying it!

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Latest out on the trail pics. We were out in Bulldog Canyon just North of Mesa, Arizona.

20211120_094404.jpg

20211120_104047.jpg

20211120_125249.jpg

20211120_125150.jpg

We had a full size Ram and a Taco join up with us. I'm sure they gathered up a few "Arizona Pinstripes" in the narrow sections but they managed through without any problems.

20211120_133435.jpg

20211120_105032.jpg

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's been a while since I last posted up anything about the Willys. For the most part I've just been enjoying using it on the trails here.

However, the mods were not done as of my last post. Are they ever done? :D

I added a 67 Designs interior phone, InReach and tablet mounting system:

Mounts 01.jpg

Mounts 02.jpg

I added a rear cargo tray. Having a second level of storage is a game changer:

IMG_20220312_131411.jpg

I needed to find a way to carry extra water & fuel with the Wrangler. I preferred it be outside.

I tried several places to get something fabricobbled & attached to the spare tire carrier. Two fab shops quoted $900 - $1K to measure, cut, fab, weld & coat something. The third just hasn't got the time to get to it.

So I did some searching and found RotoPax. They make a line of high-density plastic cans & a mounting plate with lockable fasteners. Then I found Trail Rax who makes a rack that mounts over the rear side windows to the rain gutter and slips underneath of the lower edge of the OEM hard top. No drilling needed.

All the parts showed up so I fiddled around with them, mocked up the assemblies, made a few tweaks and then installed them over each rear window. The critical fasteners all got a little blue Loctite on them. I can easily remove the entire bracket from the windows and put it away when not in use.

RP 01.jpg

RP 02.jpg

RP 03.jpg

RP 04.jpg

RP 05.jpg

RP 06.jpg

RP 07.jpg

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

--O||||||O--
My step-dad in order to better mentally deal with the many thousands being spent on his boat invented a boat unit. One boat unit was 1K.

Maybe he came up with that to keep my mom sane. My girl and I decided that for my Ram, I would go easy on the spending BUT when I sold the motorcycles and if there was something I wanted, as long as it came out of the motorcycle money I was in the clear.

Congrats on the accessories and I’m sure the build is going to look crazy awesome!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't know Mike, i think the trails up in Oregon were more scenic

This weekend is suppose to be wicked hot in Arizona too

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My step-dad in order to better mentally deal with the many thousands being spent on his boat invented a boat unit. One boat unit was 1K.

Maybe he came up with that to keep my mom sane. My girl and I decided that for my Ram, I would go easy on the spending BUT when I sold the motorcycles and if there was something I wanted, as long as it came out of the motorcycle money I was in the clear.

Congrats on the accessories and I’m sure the build is going to look crazy awesome!

I think I'm about done unless I go totally crazy & do a full long arm suspension, lockers and lift it to accommodate 40's. I have no plans to do so...I think. :rolleyes:

I don't know Mike, i think the trails up in Oregon were more scenic

This weekend is suppose to be wicked hot in Arizona too

This area has its own scenic charms for sure. It is different from Western Oregon though!

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just traded our Wrangler (see avatar) for the '22 Ram 1500 I ordered. We really enjoyed the thing, and I'm sure we are going to miss it when we see that old road less traveled. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam