OAT coolant HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lakewind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 Ram 1500 3.6 its ready for it's coolant change. The owners manual recommends Mopar OAT 10 year/150,000 mile coolant. The coolant in my truck is orange. The auto parts stores around here never heard of it. My truck is listed in my Amazon account garage that confirms fit. When I select Mopar OAT coolant (only 50/50 premix available and prefer concentrate) on Amazon it states DOES NOT FIT YOUR VEHICLE. What Amazon recommends is green 5 year aftermarket coolant. I prefer not to support the dealer around here. Can anyone recommend a 10 year coolant compatible with my Pentastar? I would appreciate any help.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Don't believe Amazon parts selection, I've seen part numbers looked up from the manufacturer be the "wrong one" according to Amazon.
The Purple Kool-Aid that Mopar uses is notorious for changing from purple to an orangish-rose color over time. It even turns back to purple when warm.
Your '14 should have left the factory with OAT. Do a complete flush and refill with Mopar pre-mix or concentrate diluted with distilled or de-ionized water (do not use tap).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
GENUINE MOPAR PART # 68163848AB

2013-2021 DODGE RAM 1500 2500 3500 4500 5500

Mopar 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant Concentrate $36.34​

We recommend you use MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula that meets the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106.

Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106 = OAT coolant

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GENUINE MOPAR PART # 68163848AB

2013-2021 DODGE RAM 1500 2500 3500 4500 5500

Mopar 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant Concentrate $36.34​

We recommend you use MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula that meets the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106.

Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106 = OAT coolant
100 % MOPAR only. No aftermarket mixed stuff, general fit all stuff, etc, just the Mopar Part number for your truck.

zrock

Reaction score
if you flush the system out you can use any OAT coolant. The most widely used is the red coolant.. I would also find another autoparts store as every store around me sells the orange coolant.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
When the serice intervals get really long like 150k miles, use what the manuf specs. Don't listen to Amazon. You can buy it on Amazon, but pay attention to your owner's manual. I have learned about lubricants and coolants by owning some Lexus cars. They have long service intervals so use what they tell you to.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd rather buy from the dealer these days,instead of Amazon or Ebay,at least i know i'm getting the right stuff,and not some knock-off Chinese look-a-like,which is getting to be very common on both sites,even fluids.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Around here, there are two small-town family-run Chrysler dealers I know of, that'll sell fluids out of their bulk barrels for almost half of the parts counter, or online price. By the gal only ...bring in yer own jug. They'll sell other Chrysler bulk fluids that way too. I've bought fluids from them on multiple occasions, esp the more expensive hydraulic fluids. One dealer has a stack of clean milk jugs in the corner of the parts dept. People (who work there) bring in. It's basically sales they wouldn't have otherwise had.

There's a local family GM dealer too which does the same thing. And I've bought on several occasions, fluids (incl antifreeze) from them for GM vehicles.

I also have an account at a larger dealer in the capitol city, part of a dealer-group, and the parts guy laughed when I asked if they sold out of their bulk barrel. I get it, they're busy, it's not worth their time. So, if you're interested in going this route, perhaps call the parts dept of a couple smaller town dealers, or dealers that are still family run and see what they say. You can get it right away w/o shipping. Get enough to have a little extra on-hand for emergencies.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is kind of long. Some might find it interesting about Chinese ebay sellers. Others...please ignore.

As someone who knows China really well (per Mrs), people might find interesting to know ...in many cases parts from China like you buy off ebay might not necessarily be 'counterfit'. And probably, even, most likely aren't. They sell Chrysler, GM & Ford, VW, Tesla, Toyota, Huyndai, Kia, etc vehicles in China too, in many cases they sell more vehicles there than here. Parts these days are usually made for global use, meaning they're identical to what we use. Many vehicles in China which are also sold here, are nearly the same. Parts are usually made in China b/c most manufcturers MUST have a factory in china to sell in china (some contries have that too). Parts (and just about anything) is considerably cheaper in China b/c people earn a lot less, have socialized health care (lot cheaper costs), new factories using the latest equipment, etc ...and ultimately the per-part total cost to mfgr is so insanely cheaper (in most cases), we'll almost never be able to compete with it. And truth be told (and I know nobody wants to hear this) they work harder too.

And China has cracked down so much on counterfit goods. You go into these big wholesale places which once were rife with counterfit goods, name-brand items, aren't anymore. In fact they all have a big sign at the entrance in multiple languages indicating that any counterfit goods will be immediately shut down (and people in China are afraid of the cops-because they don't screw around). At first it was lip service but it's been vigorously enforced the last 6-10 yrs. I haven't seen any counterfit goods in a while. A few yrs ago you could still find some renegade sellers who didn't care and would sell some pirated software, DVD's or other goods literally "under the counter" or walk "Behind the Curtain" and make a back-room deal ...they don't anymore. To get a counterfit luxury fashion item, 5 yrs ago was a matter of going to a person's hide-away basement store. Those things have almost vanished (you can never say ENTIRELY). We made an effort and went around asking several sellers (different cities too) about buying counterfit goods this past summer just to see what the landscape is, and they all gave up on counterfit goods b/c too many of their fellow sellers were cracked down & shut down and fined. We heard the same story over and over. My Mrs speaks perfect manderrin and is a wheeler dealer and even SHE couldn't get anything out of scores of sellers. So everybody talks about counterfit goods, but that was 10-12 yrs ago. At least in terms of availability in China. That's not to say something couldn't slip through, but not like the old days when there were whole stores selling counterfit stuff openly. However, there might be Chinese sellers (probably working out of other countries) which make counterfit goods (mostly luxury items) in other nearby countries for worldwide distribution. But making sophistocated car parts which involve multiple injection molds and assembly, isn't like making handbags. It costs money to make plastic molds, etc. Of course one can never say never.

The other thing is, culturally speaking, it's considered bad taste or even unethical for a seller to take advantage of the buyer. In general, people don't ty to scam ya there, like they do in the West (at least not locals). Replacement automotive parts in China would be considered eyebrow-raising cheap compared to here, where a taillight assembly for a new truck is hundreds (if not thousands) ...for a simple plastic assembly ...for no other reason than "they gotcha". That wouldn't necessarily be the case there. Sure you have western travelers who say they've been scammed. When you're in the Chinese element that's not the case.

Most likely ebay sellers are enterprising people who understand the price delta and basically flip parts and take advantage of their goods being real cheap. In most cases this is just a guy working a side-hustle, from home, or he has a real small store ...selling things on ebay. I've met several people who sell items on ebay (in China), and they've showed me their operation. It ain't much in most cases. In all the cases I've seen, these are one-guy operations, or sometimes a couple buddies selling things. A guy trying to make a little extra for his family. Prices for basic goods in China has risen a lot over the yrs so many people have to almost have a side-hustle of some sort. They're buying parts or whatever and reselling. Sometimes it's the wife making handicraft items on the side (if that's what they're selling). They usually have a very narrow focus, a few items. Some can be larger. They buy from a dealer or supplier and sell them. It's not a get-rich scheme for most sellers. I don't know about the Amazon sellers...it could be the same set-up, different venue. But as far as the ebay sellers, that's what I've personally seen.

So if it actually "comes from China" like an engine part or something, I'm less concerned about something being counterfit than other places. But for me, I stick to trusted US sellers like the dealer, Rock Auto and others. I personally haven't been scammed on Amazon with bad products. But I suppose maybe my time is coming...

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just take it to the dealer and have them flush/fill with actual Mopar coolant? Sure it will cost, but how much is piece of mind worth to you?

And yes, Mopar coolant comes "grape drink" purple from the factory and turns orange/pink over time. Some special dye they use that breaks down with heat. Got a '22 Charger R/T that I've literally watched it happen in, as the overflow tank is clear and visible when I pop the hood.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When you look at Mopar Oat Coolant when it is new, it is Purplish

If you look at it after a period of use in your vehicle, it appears to have changed color.
But if you draw some out of the radiator & put it in a Clear Glass container & set it out in the Sun.
It looks more like Purple than any other color

OP
OP
L

Lakewind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank y'all for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IF you want concentrated OAT coolant not 50/50 and don't care about the color an are flushing out the old use can use this Zerex see photo

Attachments

• OAT Zerex.jpg
    OAT Zerex.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 7

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I flush all my trucks when I replace water pump ect and go back to the olll green coolant its cheaper $10-12 a gal at home depot never a issue I am sure some will say thats bad bla bla bla but no issues in the past 6 years on any of my trucks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I flush all my trucks when I replace water pump ect and go back to the olll green coolant its cheaper $10-12 a gal at home depot never a issue I am sure some will say thats bad bla bla bla but no issues in the past 6 years on any of my trucks.

The '03 Grand Cherokee we bought was like that way back when we got it. I just left it, and changed the green coolant once....(although it leaks plenty over the winter which I add new). I've checked and adjusted the pH every couple yrs. It just turned 240k miles and still runs great. So...despite what they say, it didn't kill our 4.7.

I run green coolant in my old iron/copper stuff, but I run the right Mopar & DexCool in the other vehicles as needed. But yeah, I agree, if you keep on top of things (that's the qualifier), the green coolant probably isn't going to stop the sun from rising in the east come morning.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I use whatever the Owners Manual states

The reason for that is, if anyone works on my 2016 Ram & i am not there.
Who knows what they put in the cooling system.

If i used a substitute, like PEAK, i would have to put very noticeable stickers under the hood, so someone would not put anything but PEAK in the coolant system

JmGuTe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use the zerex G05 and haven't had any issues. But like others have said, make sure you flush everything good. I also use that in my 3.6 charger.

Attachments

• G05.jpg
    G05.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 5

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I use the zerex G05 and haven't had any issues. But like others have said, make sure you flush everything good. I also use that in my 3.6 charger.

The GO5 is a good coolant, I used it in my 06 Cummins, but its HOAT OP needs OAT