OAT Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
So, I had to drain the coolant to install the Whipple, and I would like to purchase another gallon in case it needs to be topped off.
In the owners manual it calls for "10yr/150,000 mile OAT coolant"

Question is, when I drained it, it was orange in color. Every OAT coolant I see is purple. Then I read that it changes from purple to orange once it's been in use.

Can anyone verify that any OEM "OAT coolant" will work in my truck?

Thanks.

whippleS&B.jpg

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a thermostat and used some generic OAT coolant from oriellys. Been about 10k miles with not a single issue. As long as its OAT it will be fine.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your truck is 2013+ is should take OAT coolant. The Mopar 10 year OAT coolant does turn a pinkish Orange color after years of heat cycles and will look very similar to HOAT.

OP
OP
Booms

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
I gave the VIN to the dealership and they said it was a 10 year OAT but it was purple in color. I'm nervous, lol...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I gave the VIN to the dealership and they said it was a 10 year OAT but it was purple in color. I'm nervous, lol...
Yup been there done that lol. My 2013 had essentially orange coolant draining out of it so I went back to the dealership with a sample of it and the compared it to HOAT 5 year coolant. It was a slightly different orange but I didn't want to take any chances so I did a full flush with distilled water then refilled with OAT. 2 years later the OAT I put in is that same pinkish orange color. So I'd say as long as your VIN shows OAT you're good doing a drain and fill with OAT...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the issue, I just want to top it off, lol...
It's actually super easy to do a radiator drain and fill on our trucks. There's a valve at the bottom of the radiator on the driver's side that you can undo and a place to put a piece of hose on. Drain it out into a container and refill with new coolant/water. Never a bad idea to drain out all the crud that accumulates in the radiator every so often anyway....

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The OAT coolant can look orange or purple based on age and the colour of the container that it is in. As well who was the original supplier it may be orange or purple. There was actually a TSB released about the colour issue.

The newer stuff seems to stay more purple now. If your year calls for OAT use the OAT coolant.

OP
OP
Booms

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Yes, even though the color is different, the "MS-12106" number is the same. So I'm all good, I think.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
My 2018 coolant reservoir's white dipstick has an orange tint to it from the coolant, but when I dab some coolant onto a paper towel, it's purple, so it's OAT.

BTW who was the "genius" that decided to use the names HOAT and OAT and make them all different colors?

Probably the guy that decided having brake lines 1/2" away from the tire of a TRUCK was a good idea.

OP
OP
Booms

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
So, I went to put the coolant back in yesterday, and I was filtering it and transferring it to 1 gallon jugs, it had all the colors. Pink, purplish, and orange. :rotflmao:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
So, I went to put the coolant back in yesterday, and I was filtering it and transferring it to 1 gallon jugs, it had all the colors. Pink, purplish, and orange. :rotflmao:

Sure it did.
Happen to see Puff the Magic Dragon too.

With that new Whipple, probably a good idea to replace old coolant with new.
heat is the Enemy,

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think I have ever re-used coolant.

If I have gone to the effort to take it out I put new in.

Most people forget that it needs to be changed and IMO 10 years is too long.