OD Off/ tow haul mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
07 hemi just recently started stitching between tow/haul mode and od off modes. I noticed that if I turn the lights off by hitting the switch on end of gear selector and get on the highway it doesn’t do it. But when I get off highway and cruise through town it atarts doing it again. I have no clue where to start looking I was going to try blowing out the button on gear selector. Any help would be appreciated

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
07 hemi just recently started stitching between tow/haul mode and od off modes. I noticed that if I turn the lights off by hitting the switch on end of gear selector and get on the highway it doesn’t do it. But when I get off highway and cruise through town it atarts doing it again. I have no clue where to start looking I was going to try blowing out the button on gear selector. Any help would be appreciated
Ok im not sure whats going on here... could just be my morning brain not cooperating. So if you dont touch anything and then cruise all the sudden it will be in tow/haul, or od off? And if you actually do push the botton it won't do it?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bigram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry might not have worded it properly still early.... if I put truck in drive and cruise through town it will switch randomly through the modes. If I touch the button to turn it off, I can cycles through the modes with no problem. In other words I can turn it off with the button and be driving and it will switch by itself. If the lights are lit up and I turn them off and get on highway, it doesn’t cycle through the modes by it self. Does that make sense

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Does it do the strange self switching only when the lights are on? What happens if you start the ruck and don't turn the lights on at all - does it do the self switching thing or not? If that is true, I'm thinking that you may have a short in the light wiring to the OD - off, Tow/Haul wiring.

Mike

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
So the only connection the lights have to this strange behavior is if the lights are on and the thing starts to switch you can make it stop by turning the lights off? If that's true what happens if you turn the lights back on? What happens if you leave the lights off for an extended period of time?

Now you've got me thinking that the lights on/off may only be an anomaly and truly have nothing to do with the action of OD off/Tow Haul mode.

Mike

OP
OP
B

Bigram07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does it randomly with lights on or off. I did notice that if I don’t touch anything and dive into the highway the od off, tow/haul lights go off and stay off until I go back down to city driving speeds

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
WOW, Good information, I'm still thinking that there is a problem with some wiring in your truck. Try to be very observant when out driving, does it happen when something outside the truck happens like hitting a bump or something similar. You are probably not going to be able to tell if just the indicators go on and off or if the truck is actually going into tow/haul or OD off, or not. There are so many places that could be the source of the problem, maybe one of the other guys on the forum have had some experience or knowledge of what is happening. There are a few active techs here that may be able to help.

Mike

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look under the dash, white group of wires, above left foot. Make sure those connectors are plugged in correctly and snug. That would be the 1st place to troubleshoot. But after that, somebody more tech than me needed to help U.