Odd evic messages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram, with 35's on 20s 5.7 liter hemi

using Superchips Flashpaq F5 to tune. using 91 octane performance but use either 92 or 93 octane fuel (no 91 octane available in my area)

Truck has run like a scalded cat ever since implementing the superchip programmer (about a year) 45k miles. Like most of us I am customizing alot of my truck - lights, grille etc. I took the covering off the top of the grille/radiator so I could take the grille off and custom fit a 28' LED bar behind. I put the grille back on but left the top covering off as I was goign to be right back into it and didnt want to constantly remove the christmas tree clips over and over.

After about a week or so, I got a check engine light, its P0128 Coolant system performance, thermostat performance according to the Flashpaq reader. Coolant good, changed it and thermostat, still getting light within 5 or 10 minutes of driving. Coolant running 185° oil about 190° which is textbook. Found that the DTC would go off the second the evic showed coolant hitting 185°. Oil would be about 160 to 170° at that point but would come up to normal operating temp soon after. At this time in Tennessee, ambient temps are goofy - 75 to 85° 2 weeks ago and now we have fell every since till we are getting highs of 60 and lows of high 20s.

Reason I put ambient oil and coolant temps in here is my mechanic friend says there is a correlation between the three concerning that code I am getting and the slightest deviation will set it off.

On a lark I put that cover back over the grille and radiator. Cleared code and didnt get another one....Coolant same temp but oil within 3 to 4° of coolant now. Went 3 or 4 days and got another one (ambient temps are now 50's - even had some snow the other night) And now we are back to getting another code P0128 within 10 min or so of driving and as soon as coolant hits 185°

now to make matters worse this morning I get an evic message that says service electronic throttle control. (but no DTC code) I have been receiving mail from Dodge about recalls and stuff but the local dealer says there is no fix just yet and its be about 60 days etc etc....buddy who is a mechanic says there is a software bulletin concerning coolant performance out for my truck.

I guess my question is this: Would my truck need this patch after running fine for 45k miles? And might this be the issue with the tune I am using on the coolant as well as the throttle control? I been told that I need to put the truck back to stock tune before I take it in to a dealer as they will flash the comp regardless and screw it up. Any ideas?

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Are you getting the readings for the oil and coolant temperature from the EVIC or from your scanner? The reason I ask is because most vehicles have 2 coolant temperature sensors. 1 for the dash and 1 for the PCM. So, reading the dash could be telling you 1 thing but the PCM is seeing another and turning the check engine light on. I haven’t had the need to check into this on my truck yet but I know a lot of vehicles have 2. This is just a thought as they could be sending 2 different temps. As for the throttle service, that could be that you just need to clean the throttle body and throttle position sensor and could be unrelated.

Yes, definitely put the truck back to stock before taking it to the dealer as they could brick your PCM and/or void whatever warranty you have if they see the tuning.

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The readings are all from the EVIC...that flashpaq can read/clear the DTC codes but doesnt show anything else. My buddy has his own garage and has one of those huge Snapper scanners that looks like a tablet. I am gonna take it to him tomorrow and let him go over it since it has the throttle message. After I may just return my truck to stock and tell the next nearest dealer to go by vin and fix any recalls and updates to software there is for my truck. My local dealer's service dept are kinda slacking...I was unaware that most had 2 sensors for coolant temp, seeing as I have good ac and heat and the truck isnt overheating at all Id say that might be more likely that one sensor is a little behind the other. Thanks for the info!

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You’re welcome! If the recall is out there then dealerships have to fix it. They might not have the parts to fix a certain recall but they can’t just tell you that they can’t do it for a few weeks. That’s putting your safety at risk and opening them to a lawsuit.

Most cars for decades have had 2 sensors but I wouldn’t bet anything that the Rams do too since I haven’t looked into it. I would believe they do though. Hopefully someone else will chime in and agree or tell me I’m wrong so that you stay on the right path to get the issue fixed. Good luck!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You’re welcome! If the recall is out there then dealerships have to fix it. They might not have the parts to fix a certain recall but they can’t just tell you that they can’t do it for a few weeks. That’s putting your safety at risk and opening them to a lawsuit.

Most cars for decades have had 2 sensors but I wouldn’t bet anything that the Rams do too since I haven’t looked into it. I would believe they do though. Hopefully someone else will chime in and agree or tell me I’m wrong so that you stay on the right path to get the issue fixed. Good luck!

They only have 1 coolant temp sensor. I’ve honestly never worked on a FCA vehicle that had 2. It may have been common back in the day but very few if any would have 2 now a days. Since the introduction of bus communication there’s no need for redundant sensors, since any information that needs to be shared can be sent using the bus.

As for the OP, I would try flashing it back to stock and see what happens. The P0128 is almost always a thermostat issue, since you’ve already changed that, there’s something else going on. What temp thermostat did you put in?

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know for sure, I had my buddy put one in while we were going over the code. I think OEM is 203°. The coolant wasnt low so that leaves the sensor which should be right there around the thermostat housing, or its a software issue which made me think of that patch.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is a software update for the PCM but it is for P26AB-Engine coolant bypass valve stuck. So good chance its not the software update. The possible causes for P0128 are low coolant,thermostat, or a flow problem in the cooling system. It could very well be an issue with the superchips software that is in there. I would put it back to stock and see what happens before doing anything else, its the easiest thing to do.

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will try it for sure, thanks for the info! ;)

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
73524697_1762606000538133_5029994976696598528_n.jpg 75323348_1762606053871461_7899636332811517952_n.jpg Well I think I found out what the problem is: friggin pos plastic sensor was cracked and leaking coolant into the sensor body itself. You can see it pooled in the sensor body in the second pic..then taking it out the damn thing broke off in the housing, so I'm going to have to have it drilled out. I know all cars are put together with as cheap parts as possible but who in the hell would put a friggin plastic sensor body threaded in a metal housing? Apparently Chrysler would.......dig this.....the replacement sensor has a brass body and threads......

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well I think I found out what the problem is: friggin pos plastic sensor was cracked and leaking coolant into the sensor body itself. You can see it pooled in the sensor body in the second pic..then taking it out the damn thing broke off in the housing, so I'm going to have to have it drilled out. I know all cars are put together with as cheap parts as possible but who in the hell would put a friggin plastic sensor body threaded in a metal housing? Apparently Chrysler would.......dig this.....the replacement sensor has a brass body and threads......

View media item 28478View media item 28477

Links don't work