Odd noise coming from cold engine.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BabeTheBigBlueHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 with 123xxx. Owned it since 50k regular oil changes with Mobil1 and Wix XP filters. Replaced idler and tensioner over summer, just did water pump last weekend thinking that was the cause of the noise, however it is still there. It sounds like a bad bearing, but the noise goes away within the first mile of driving. I only have 800 miles on the oil right now, but i'm planning to pull a sample to send in for analysis around 1500.

I've combed through every possible thread and video trying to find something similar, but nothing comes close. I'm planning to pull the belt and take it for a lap today, but my battery is a little older so it wont be a long drive. Its not throwing any codes or running any less peppy than it has for the last 70,000, but i'm concerned that I may be putting a lot of money into it soon if its internal.

Anyone hear this noise before?

Starts at 0:03 through 0:12 in this one

Starts at 0:03 in this video

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you replaced the clutch fan system ? sounds very familiar to me ....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Will it make the sound if someone hits the gas pedal when parked? It only happens when cold?

OP
OP
B

BabeTheBigBlueHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will it make the sound if someone hits the gas pedal when parked? It only happens when cold?
I can hear a less aggressive version of it revving it in N in the driveway, and its only that severe on an overnight cold start. It isnt anywhere near as apparent after its been ran for a bit, but because i know what im listening for, i hear it very lightly still.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 with 123xxx. Owned it since 50k regular oil changes with Mobil1 and Wix XP filters. Replaced idler and tensioner over summer, just did water pump last weekend thinking that was the cause of the noise, however it is still there. It sounds like a bad bearing, but the noise goes away within the first mile of driving. I only have 800 miles on the oil right now, but i'm planning to pull a sample to send in for analysis around 1500.

I've combed through every possible thread and video trying to find something similar, but nothing comes close. I'm planning to pull the belt and take it for a lap today, but my battery is a little older so it wont be a long drive. Its not throwing any codes or running any less peppy than it has for the last 70,000, but i'm concerned that I may be putting a lot of money into it soon if its internal.

Don't take it for a drive with belt off......water pump needs to circulate coolant thru engine to keep from over heating.
Just idle/rev engine under a minute & listen for noise with belt off.

OP
OP
B

BabeTheBigBlueHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't take it for a drive with belt off......water pump needs to circulate coolant thru engine to keep from over heating.
Just idle/rev engine under a minute & listen for noise with belt off.
Trying to get my wife to understand holding RPM while I use a giant screwdriver to probe around hasnt been very successful so far lol. Just trying to rule out a warped exhaust heat shield or something stupid. Debating picking up a new alternator to rule that out, but its making really no noise when i spin it up by hand.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you can hear it in N, you can find it with hood up, sounds like a pully bearing to me maybe fan, not internal is my guess. Have someone gas the pedal while you are over the engine, in PARK. You can or cant hear it when under hood?

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

If I'm hearing what I think I am (metallic tinny type noise ) I've been hunting it since August 2019.... did manifolds new bolts gaskets by the dealer then went over it again they say nothings wrong... ill post my video to see if you think its similar

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BabeTheBigBlueHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I'm hearing what I think I am (metallic tinny type noise ) I've been hunting it since August 2019.... did manifolds new bolts gaskets by the dealer then went over it again they say nothings wrong... ill post my video to see if you think its similar

That almost sounds similar, but it's directly relative to the engine rpm and goes away as it warms up.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it sounds belt/pulley related 100% maybe the new water pump is defected it happens i would take belt off check all pulleys ect.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
To me it sounds belt/pulley related 100% maybe the new water pump is defected it happens i would take belt off check all pulleys ect.
Not belt or pulley related in my case maybe different story for OP... mine sticks around even without belt.

OP
OP
B

BabeTheBigBlueHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulled the belt off and checked everything I had replaced so far, all seems good. Had the wife hold it around 2500-3000 and checked the valve covers with a giant screwdriver, went from the top and the side through the wheel well. No noise that stood out. Went and picked up a new alternator and put that on. When I had the belt off I gave the AC clutch pulley a spin, and it's definitely making some noise. Doesn't look like there's a rebuild kit for that available, so it's gunna have to just ride for now. Gunna keep an ear on it and see what happens I guess.