Odyssey Battery or Similar for Factory Replacement on 2020 Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
One of the first things I usually replace on a new vehicle build is the factory battery. Being new to Rams what is the recommended solution here for a high quality main battery that can handle reasonable cycling from running accessories and vibration on the trial. I’ve been a fan of Odyssey batteries in the past but would prefer a stock drop in solution with minimal to no modifications.

As for dual battery set ups, I have transitioned away from that in favor of lithium solar generator systems for the camp environment. So really I’m just looking for a quality replacement of the factory battery which I assume is junk. Any suggestions for this overlander?

Here’s what’s in the truck now:

01c17c65ff7bf4959908b05421d55faa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Per the part number on that battery, it's a 94R (H7) battery, the Odyssey battery is a 94R-850
https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm94r-h7-l4-battery-94r-850/
https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...ery-94r-850-group-size-94r-850-cca/937704_0_0
I know it was reported in the past the Odyssey 49-950 would fit in the Gen4 HD trucks. It's a H8 size battery that's about 1.5" longer than the stock H7.
https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odp-agm49-h8-l5-battery-49-950/
I have the 49-950 in my '15 EcoD, that was the replacement for OEM battery size.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I running a Northstar AGM (94R) PCA 1650, CCA 840, RC 158 min. Replaced the flooded lead acid OE batt, no issue with electronics or charge

OP
OP
H

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I running a Northstar AGM (94R) PCA 1650, CCA 840, RC 158 min. Replaced the flooded lead acid OE batt, no issue with electronics or charge

What was the replacement experience like? Direct drop in? Any modifications requirements needed for the retention system?

bigdodge

Reaction score
Duracell batteries are made by east Penn which is a great name in automotive batteries. Sold at Sam's club. You can easily go up one size by taking out a space in the tray.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I usually use Odyssey batteries in my vehicles, but the model for the Ram is not the "Extreme" model which I prefer. I think the Northstar is an excellent choice. I would have had to order the Northstar, so I went with the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery which is manufactured by East Penn / Deka. This is a direct replacement, so no issues what so ever with changing the battery out.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
What was the replacement experience like? Direct drop in? Any modifications requirements needed for the retention system?

None. Direct OE replacement. No mods. Took about 20 minutes or so to swap out. Same group size as the OE, top mount post. I assume battery type and group size has not changed for 2020. I did charge it before installation. Never can tell how long a batt has sit and discharged. You would need a charger capable of charging AGMs.

OP
OP
H

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
So it seem that the NorthStar AGM 94R is the best OEM replacement solution for the PW. With that said...some of these AGMs require a higher voltage to achieve sufficient charge. Do any of you know if the power wagon alternators need adjustment for the Northstar or will it work as is? I couldn’t find anything about it’s required input voltage for charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Output should be sufficient. Info here: https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-commercial/body-builders-guide.html The only thing is output at idle. I could never find that information and frankly haven't bothered measuring it. I have the optional OE 220A alt. I assume whatever battery management system is on these trucks can sense the voltage requirements and make the adjustments. I've also read this parameter has to set by a scan tool, not make specific.

I left it alone. I've been running it for near 2 years and no issue.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The AGM battery needs to be charged at or above 14.3V to recharge to 100% is what i was told

OP
OP
H

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I installed the 94R Northstar AGM Battery. This thing is amazing. Perfect fit...like in every way perfect fit. Someone mentioned that you can go up a size in the battery tray, that is not the case for the 2020 Ram. The 94R takes up the entire tray and there are no extra knockouts to remove. Anyway, this is the best AGM available for this truck IMO. BTW, I measured voltage right after install and it was 14.2 volts. Plenty for this battery to charge fully. I do have the dual alternators.

309bd9ba6486842e97949704bfe6dc22.jpg

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I installed the 94R Northstar AGM Battery. This thing is amazing. Perfect fit...like in every way perfect fit. Someone mentioned that you can go up a size in the battery tray, that is not the case for the 2020 Ram. The 94R takes up the entire tray and there are no extra knockouts to remove. Anyway, this is the best AGM available for this truck IMO. BTW, I measured voltage right after install and it was 14.2 volts. Plenty for this battery to charge fully. I do have the dual alternators.

You put a lot of time into a battery research on a new truck. Saw that on the other forum as well. I have a few 12v add ons and I’m not concerned at all with the OEM battery. Should I be?

Last edited:

OverlandingGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm curious why you are changing out the factory starter if you are using a solar gen...

I have opted to remove the 40 portion of the 60/40 rear seat to place my fridge permanently in that spot and right behind it I'm placing a 50 AH Lithium as my aux battery. This time around, I've decided to use a Renogy 160W flexible solar panel mated to a Victron MPPT controller to charge the battery. I'm going to add an additional panel if the single panel isn't sufficient, but suspect it will be. Also, if necessary, will wire in a DC to DC charger. All accessories and charging will be done off the Lithium. I'm leaving the starter battery in its current configuration.

Again, not sure why you would replace the factory starter if you aren't using it for accessories.

OverlandingGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In my Jeep I used the Batteries Plus branded X2Power battery. It's a rebranded Northstar AGM and the specs made it a monster. I'd highly recommend that rebranded battery. The warranty is good and the price is ok too.

OP
OP
H

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The AGM battery needs to be charged at or above 14.3V to recharge to 100% is what i was told

I called NorthStar and asked directly and he said that since this batter is made to meet factory replacement specs it will reach full charge with the stock charging system. You are correct that some AGMs need higher voltage to reach full charge but not all AGMs are the same. I would call the battery manufacturer.

OP
OP
H

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You put a lot of time into a battery research on a new truck. Saw that on the other forum as well. I have a few 12v add ons and I’m not concerned at all with the OEM battery. Should I be?

Batteries are one of the things that OEMs pinch pennies on the hardest. It’s just something I have always done. I would say the average commuter does not need to worry, but we ask more of our batteries than most with winches and accessories. You are cycling it harder and a lead acid is not up to the task like a high quality AGM can be.

OP
OP
H

HeliNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm curious why you are changing out the factory starter if you are using a solar gen...

I have opted to remove the 40 portion of the 60/40 rear seat to place my fridge permanently in that spot and right behind it I'm placing a 50 AH Lithium as my aux battery. This time around, I've decided to use a Renogy 160W flexible solar panel mated to a Victron MPPT controller to charge the battery. I'm going to add an additional panel if the single panel isn't sufficient, but suspect it will be. Also, if necessary, will wire in a DC to DC charger. All accessories and charging will be done off the Lithium. I'm leaving the starter battery in its current configuration.

Again, not sure why you would replace the factory starter if you aren't using it for accessories.

Well I am using it for accessories. I don’t have a dual battery set up so between the winch and lights it’s getting used harder than a stock truck would use a factory battery. I do have protections with the SPOD from accidentally leaving something on but I’d rather take my chances with a battery with twice the reserve time of lead acid.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine

Legit. Where do I order?