OEM Camera Kit Installed...works...sort of

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markh1254

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L TD
New to the RAM family and purchased a 2500 Tradesman which I will be towing a Travel Trailer with. One thing I really wanted was a backup camera, which this truck doesn't have. I do have the factory Uconnect 5.0 radio. I ordered the OEM kit and installed it. I also bought a MX+ and the Alfa app since from my readings I need to enable the camera - factory XAC option.

It works, when I put the vehicle in Reverse, the camera starts working and the lines move with the steering wheel when I turn it. Success, I am a happy camper now when I back up to hitch up my trailer. I can get aligned with the trailer. But...what doesn't work is ability to view the trailer when towing to "look in on it!". When I press the Camera Icon on the "More" screen, nothing happens.

I searched all the camera settings on Alfa Body Computer configuration and here is what I found and have them set:

Rear View Camera - Present
Rear Camera CSM Enabled
Rear View Camera Delay CSM - Enabled
Trailer Hitch Camera - Present
Rear View Camera Dynamic Gridlines - Enabled

The Rear Camera" icon is displayed on the radio "more" screen, but nothing happens when I press it.

If I go into Radio Settings, under Park/View backup Camera shows Camera Delay which is ON

What setting am I missing????

My last alternative is to take it to the dealer, but they want $155 to enable the XAC option. $120 one hour labor, plus tax and shop charge.

Appreciate any and all help!

Thanks
Mark

marine6212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2016 ram 1500 came with back up camera and it only worked when truck was in reverse.
I think the only camera that will work on factory radio is the 3rd brake light camera from a button on the radio.

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
On my 2014 3500 SLT, the tailgate camera doesn't work unless in Reverse also - working as expected ...I recently upgrade the truck with the 3rd Brake Light Camera (Cargo Camera), which is 'switchable' in Reverse...I can, however, turn the Cargo Camera on while driving forward and the camera will show the cargo area for about 10 seconds and then screen blanks out - also working as expected...

The 'Camera Delay' setting you mention keeps the tailgate camera on a few seconds after you go into Drive...

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I believe that is normal. It will only display when in reverse or when traveling less than 10 miles an hour from what I have seen other people say about it. If you already have Alfa and an OBD link then payin the dealer would be a waste of money as you already have all of the required codes activated

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Mine comes on when I press the back button below the screen or the center button on the left side on back of steering wheel.

OP
OP
M

Markh1254

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L TD
I believe that is normal. It will only display when in reverse or when traveling less than 10 miles an hour from what I have seen other people say about it. If you already have Alfa and an OBD link then payin the dealer would be a waste of money as you already have all of the required codes activated

I agree. But the problem is, mine doesn't display when traveling below 10 mph going forward.