OEM Projector headlights on 2011 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys. I recently bought a 2011 ram and switched out my reflector headlights for projectors. I noticed that when my lights are switched to auto the ambers on the projector lights aren’t the DRLS, Just my regular bulb. Is that normal or do I have my harness flipped ?

keemoshani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey you'd have to use software like alfa obd or similar to switch your drl location

OP
OP
J

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ahh I see, where/how could I get that done? I know nothing when it comes to that stuff lol

keemoshani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if you're in the toronto area i have the software and can do it for you free of charge, otherwise you can get alfaobd on a android device or a pc along with a obd dongle off a retailer and it's fairly simple. here is a forum thread relating to it https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/ it says 2013 and up on the thread but i've personally used the software on 2009 up

OP
OP
J

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man I appreciate it! I live in London Ontario so not far, I’m not sure when I’d be headed your way though. You Need to make a trip down here for anything ? Lol

I found this scanner on Amazon, would it work alongside the software ?

VEEPEAK OBDCheck BLE OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner Car OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool for iOS and Android Check Engine Light Code Reader Supports Torque, OBD Fusion App https://a.co/d/4tCJdfG

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I noticed that when my lights are switched to auto the ambers on the projector lights aren’t the DRLS, Just my regular bulb.
When you say regular bulb? Which light are you referring to?
One wire that you won't have going to the headlights us the dedicated DRL wire.
You should be able to use AlfaOBD to change which bulb will be the DRL.

OP
OP
J

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought I had posted a reply already but I can’t find it now lol. My low beam lights

Attachments

• IMG_8155.jpeg
    IMG_8155.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I thought I had posted a reply already but I can’t find it now lol. My low beam lights
On projector headlights, what you have circled in red is the high-beams, the low-beam is the round projector.
Usually the high beam and low beam runs a lower voltage when used as the DRL, I believe that voltage is adjustable using AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
J

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry I meant to virile the low beams lol. Ya I wanna change it all together and use the amber signal light as the DRL

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I wanna change it all together and use the amber signal light as the DRL
You can change the location with AlfaOBD, I think even the fog lights are an option. There's a DRL drop out option, it's usually an option used if using a dedicated DRL light not the headlights or fogs.
Being your truck was probably built for Canada you may need to change the vehicle country code to be able to change the location of the DRLs. I think someone reported having to do this in the past with.

OP
OP
J

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok awesome thanks for the tip! I was driving yesterday and you are right actually, my DRLS are my high beams just on a lower setting. I’m wondering if I just have the harness flipped maybe? But everything else works as should so I’m not sure

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
my DRLS are my high beams just on a lower setting. I’m wondering if I just have the harness flipped maybe? But everything else works as should so I’m not sure
I believe the high beams are the "default" location for the factory enabled DRLs if the headlight design doesn't incorporate a dedicated DRL bulb.
It's easy enough to check, if your low beams turn on just the round projector they're wired correctly.

OP
OP
J

Joemango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thank you for the info! That is what happens when I turn on my low beams so wires must be good, looks like I’ll just need to reprogram thme with an OBD