Oh no, tires again!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just put on kuhmo crugen ht 51’s. had them before they are highly rated and wear great. Replaced a set of sumitomo encounters and they preformed just as well.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, I sent you a PM.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Here's another vote for the Michelin Defender LTX /MS, It's got great traction in rain or snow and I've got 46,000 miles on mine and still have 7/32nds which is just a little more than 50% of the original.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put on kuhmo crugen ht 51’s. had them before they are highly rated and wear great. Replaced a set of sumitomo encounters and they preformed just as well.

I'm leaning toward this exact tire for my 2016 Big Horn 5.7 4x4 CC. I based my selection heavily on tirerack.com reviews and ratings. The price is very reasonable compared to the Michelins. Looks like you've used these tires more than once. Can you tell us how many miles you got from your previous set?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure the biggest difference between Michelin Defenders and the Kumho copycats is for the US market the Michelins are made here (by a French parent company) and the Kumhos are made in Vietnam (by a Korean parent company).

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been reading all I can find on the forum, but I am not finding exactly the information I seek. There is a lot of information on off road, all terrain etc., 3 Mountain Peak ? snowflake but not much that relates to my type of driving and tire needs.
I have just over 40,000 miles on the original Wrangler SRA's. They have worn evenly and served their purpose OK. Plenty of tread depth remaining and I was going to take them to 50,000 miles.
Today I get a puncture in the right rear. Was able to get home with a couple of stops to air up.
Good news is that it was an unbelievable nice day, I was able to get home and do the work in my own driveway and I got to learn the ropes on the spare tire carrying mechanism.
So I figure I might as well go ahead and get new tires now.
I am looking for suggestions preferably based on personal experience but any and all comments are welcome.
Here is the important stuff: 2WD 1500 Laramie LSD 275/60R/20, driven nearly exclusively over the road. Never tow and no winter ( snow, slush ) driving. The truck is basically a touring vehicle. Wet weather performance is important to me.
I am trying to decide on some nice replacement tires.
I have researched some Bridgestones, Falkens and Michelin. All I know though is what I read.
Give me your thoughts.
Thanks,
DD
I have been using BF Goodrich All Terrain for over 30 years,and like the way they handle in all driving conditions.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Sounds like you and my brother in law drive EXACTLY alike, because he gets 40-50k out of the Wrangler SRA's as well. I however CAN NOT get more than 30k with my driving.

With that said, why not get another set? B.I.L. drives in the same conditions and he doesn't hate the SRA's or love them. He says they're a good basic tire that's quiet and smooth and do what he needs. He started looking for new tires at 45k and the dealer had a "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" deal and he got another set of SRA's. He said the out the door price came to about $130 a tire. At that price and 40-50 thousand miles a set, why wouldn't you? If you can get them on a promo or sale, that's 100,000 miles worth of tires for $1040 bucks. He did tell me the guy at the dealer said they make several identical SRA tires but you have to order by weight. He said there's a specific stock number that is a pound or two heavier and that one lasts longer.

I know my opinion isn't the popular one and it's not even advice that fits my situation, but the SRA's seem to serve you fine. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I also want a quite nice ride with great wet weather traction. I did need something with a bit more off road traction, so I ponied up the extra money for Firestone Destination LE2's and they have been and still are great tires. Unfortunately, they don't look like they will last any longer than the SRA's did. So, was the significantly more expensive $210 a tire (when I got them) a better buy than the SRA's??? Nope! They are a bit better in the rain and I don't get stuck on wet grass anymore, but I can't say they're worth an extra $80 (sale price) a tire better. Next time I'm getting All Terrains and calling it a day lol.
Actually though you may not think your suggestion is a popular one it has considerable merit. Replacing with SR-A is not yet completely out of the question. Especially after todays time spent in tire dealerships as well as making way too many phone calls.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually though you may not think your suggestion is a popular one it has considerable merit. Replacing with SR-A is not yet completely out of the question. Especially after todays time spent in tire dealerships as well as making way too many phone calls.

Dear lord, please don’t. Just no. Just because you had to eat a **** once, doesn’t mean you should eat more turds.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Looks like the Michelins get a lot of love.
Most of today was spent trying to track down tires. I did a ton of research late last night and when I started out his morning I was giving the edge to the Continentals. Nothing in particular to substantiate that. It is just the way I felt I guess.
Sooooo, after a day on the phone as well as visiting several tire places this is where I am at.
Continentals are no where to be found. Not only locally but every tire store tells me their suppliers show not available / backorder.
So I then suggested the Toyo. Same exact answer on the Toyo. The old standby Michelin is available. Price certainly is a premium for the Michelins. That is OK, but I guess I was just looking for something different.
I probably would have Michelins on the vehicle tonight except for one thing.
We have a new tire shop that is very convenient to me. 5 minutes away. Went there and the manager was very personable, patient and willing to work with me. Although as noted earlier he could not get the Toyo or the Conti. I had him look at my punctured tire. Puncture is in a repairable location. Tread remaining on the tire is 5/32's. He is doing the proper inside out plug/ patch repair with balancing etc. Tomorrow I will go to the shop and he will remove the funny tire and place the repaired tire back on the truck. Total cost is $35.00
So after all this discussion I guess I have bought a little time to make a definitive decision and wait until whatever I decide on can be obtained. Considering how well I have done with the original tires ( I should hit my original goal of 50,000 miles if I have to ) I may very well go that route for the price and see if I was just lucky the first time. I did manage to finish polishing the RAM today in between phone calls etc.
Definitely having a second glass of wine tonight!

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
Sounds like you and my brother in law drive EXACTLY alike, because he gets 40-50k out of the Wrangler SRA's as well. I however CAN NOT get more than 30k with my driving.

With that said, why not get another set? B.I.L. drives in the same conditions and he doesn't hate the SRA's or love them. He says they're a good basic tire that's quiet and smooth and do what he needs. He started looking for new tires at 45k and the dealer had a "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" deal and he got another set of SRA's. He said the out the door price came to about $130 a tire. At that price and 40-50 thousand miles a set, why wouldn't you? If you can get them on a promo or sale, that's 100,000 miles worth of tires for $1040 bucks. He did tell me the guy at the dealer said they make several identical SRA tires but you have to order by weight. He said there's a specific stock number that is a pound or two heavier and that one lasts longer.

I know my opinion isn't the popular one and it's not even advice that fits my situation, but the SRA's seem to serve you fine. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I also want a quite nice ride with great wet weather traction. I did need something with a bit more off road traction, so I ponied up the extra money for Firestone Destination LE2's and they have been and still are great tires. Unfortunately, they don't look like they will last any longer than the SRA's did. So, was the significantly more expensive $210 a tire (when I got them) a better buy than the SRA's??? Nope! They are a bit better in the rain and I don't get stuck on wet grass anymore, but I can't say they're worth an extra $80 (sale price) a tire better. Next time I'm getting All Terrains and calling it a day lol.

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
I have had multiple sets of the Wrangler SRA's or the predecessor stock Wrangler tire, 50K was easily attainable. I will say check the tread wear rating when you buy as there are variants with much softer rubber like the HP's. Lately I have shopped for "take-off" tires which are brand new factory tires taken off new vehicles for fancy wheel and tire upgrades. Found an aftermarket dealer in south central Texas that had Wrangler Fortitude HTs in my size for half the price of a new tire. Ride is wonderful, boosted by going back to 17" wheels and higher profile tires from the 20" factory wheels I had tried. There are other ebay deals with free shipping, too. Just use a local mom and pop tire shop and save your self some $$.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like the Michelins get a lot of love.
Most of today was spent trying to track down tires. I did a ton of research late last night and when I started out his morning I was giving the edge to the Continentals. Nothing in particular to substantiate that. It is just the way I felt I guess.
Sooooo, after a day on the phone as well as visiting several tire places this is where I am at.
Continentals are no where to be found. Not only locally but every tire store tells me their suppliers show not available / backorder.
So I then suggested the Toyo. Same exact answer on the Toyo. The old standby Michelin is available. Price certainly is a premium for the Michelins. That is OK, but I guess I was just looking for something different.
I probably would have Michelins on the vehicle tonight except for one thing.
We have a new tire shop that is very convenient to me. 5 minutes away. Went there and the manager was very personable, patient and willing to work with me. Although as noted earlier he could not get the Toyo or the Conti. I had him look at my punctured tire. Puncture is in a repairable location. Tread remaining on the tire is 5/32's. He is doing the proper inside out plug/ patch repair with balancing etc. Tomorrow I will go to the shop and he will remove the funny tire and place the repaired tire back on the truck. Total cost is $35.00
So after all this discussion I guess I have bought a little time to make a definitive decision and wait until whatever I decide on can be obtained. Considering how well I have done with the original tires ( I should hit my original goal of 50,000 miles if I have to ) I may very well go that route for the price and see if I was just lucky the first time. I did manage to finish polishing the RAM today in between phone calls etc.
Definitely having a second glass of wine tonight!

I am at 47k on the wranglers at present, they look like could go an easy 5k more. stopped by discount tire today and am pretty much down to the Michelins or the Cooper AT3 4s. while we don't usually get too much snow here but with winter coming on am trying to decide if want to replace them now or let them run till worn out.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have been using BF Goodrich All Terrain for over 30 years,and like the way they handle in all driving conditions.
I have used BFG tires exclusively for years on another truck ( one ton ) and have always been pleased with them.

OP
OP
D

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I am at 47k on the wranglers at present, they look like could go an easy 5k more. stopped by discount tire today and am pretty much down to the Michelins or the Cooper AT3 4s. while we don't usually get too much snow here but with winter coming on am trying to decide if want to replace them now or let them run till worn out.
Just about the same situation as me. I don't have to replace now, but certainly would if I could get the tire I want at a decent price. Maybe some Thanksgiving deals will arise.

Boxman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6; Etorque , 4x4 crew cab, Night Edition
On my 2013 1500 4x4 I'm on my 4th set of tires. Replaced original Goodyears at 33k with Cooper Discoverer SRX. They were great riding and very quiet. However they didn't have much tread life and were prorated out at America's Tire with about 35k miles of use. ( supposed to be 70,000 mile tires). Replaced them with Continental all weather. They also were very quiet, smooth riding. However they lacked traction in light snow, even in 4wd. Because of this I traded them out for Michelin Defenders. Only have 5k miles on these, but traction is better in loose dirt and gravel. Haven't had any snow yet. The only complaint on Michelin is that they seem to ride stiffer than the Continental and Coopers.
As a side note, I grew up near Findley, Ohio, where Coopers used to be made. They always had a good reputation back then.

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm leaning toward this exact tire for my 2016 Big Horn 5.7 4x4 CC. I based my selection heavily on tirerack.com reviews and ratings. The price is very reasonable compared to the Michelins. Looks like you've used these tires more than once. Can you tell us how many miles you got from your previous set?
I had them on a Nissan Pathfinder. Put 20k on them before I sold it. They were great in wet weather and quiet on the road. They looked like 2/3 new. For the ram, I was able to get a set installed for $580 out the door.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
noticed that discount tire has a promotion on the michelin defenders $223.00 per tire installed and balanced good thru Sat, seems like a pretty good deal, less that the coopers total. am thinking on pulling the trigger on a set of these.