Oil burn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angelrsc09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Hi! I have a RAM 2009, HEMI 5.7l

My problem is that my ram is burning oil but there’s no problem with the rings. It has 150psi each piston and responds very well when i accelerate. I once read that maybe can be the PCV valve but I’m not totally sure. If anyone had this issue before i hope can help me because its driving me crazy.

thanks a lot in advance.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi! I have a RAM 2009, HEMI 5.7l

My problem is that my ram is burning oil but there’s no problem with the rings. It has 150psi each piston and responds very well when i accelerate. I once read that maybe can be the PCV valve but I’m not totally sure. If anyone had this issue before i hope can help me because its driving me crazy.

thanks a lot in advance.
Yes clean the pcv valve its on top of the intake just be careful easy to break sometimes if its stuck. How many miles on it and how much does it burn? any smoke at at operating temp when your rev it? Its normal to burn some but it appears on jeeps/rams Its always the valve stem seals people always think their engine is shot I get it throw some seals on it and it stops smoking/burning.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be valve guide seals, that's common enough on older engines. I can tell you what I'd do but unfortunately it involves oil and oil additives which are a madhouse religion around here so whatever I say is going to get argued against by someone else and we might end up with a 90,000 page discussion about f*ing oil again.

So here goes: if my Ram was burning oil with no other obvious explanation I'd give it a fresh oil/filter change with top quality synthetic oil in the lightest viscosity specified for the engine (5w20, in the case of my 2015) & substitute a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for one quart of oil. That stuff is a mild solvent and very low viscosity so if there's varnish and crust and junk on the valve guide seals or between the ribs inside the valve seals it might mobilize some of that gack and allow the seals to do their job a little better. I'd change the oil again in ~1000 miles or so to get that stuff out of there, new filter and just quality synthetic oil this time.

Could also go in and replace the valve guide seals but that's a ton of work, in fact I'm doing that exact job right now on a small block ford but it's part of some other go-fast work so it doesn't feel like such a chore :)

OP
OP
Angelrsc09

Angelrsc09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Yes clean the pcv valve its on top of the intake. How many miles on it and how much does it burn? any smoke at at operating temp when your rev it? Its normal to burn some but it
I already clean the PCV and the problem stay stills. I change the stem seals and keeps burning oil. Actually, i had replace it two times because the first time one piston was generating 0PSI, then a put it well and for a while it doesn’t present any problems. After 3 days driving starts smoking again. I change it for another PCV but doesn’t fit well so i change it back and the smoke appears only sometimes.

it has 186,000 miles but the motor where rectificared in 2019. And burns like 2 or 3qts with normal drive (home to work and work to home, like 6.64miles every day) and the smoke intensifys every when I’m in a stop and accelerate a little.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If it smokes under acceleration good chance the rings are a bit weak,if it blows smoke out the tailpipes going downhill with your foot off the gas,the valve guides/seals are worn.At the very least try and do a compression test,but if you can hunt up somebody with a leak down tester,buttar them up,and get them to do a leak down test on the engine.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just because it has good compression doesn’t mean that the oil control rings aren’t the issue. They could be worn or gunked up which would allow more oil to be burned but you’d still have good compression.

Start with the PCV valve, it’s cheap and easy to replace. Could be valve seals, usually you will get blue smoke on start up with bad valve seals.

Also how much is it actually burning?

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wanted to bump this thread.

Currently burning oil in my 5.7. 174,XXXkm on the engine. Typically I only see smoke on start up. I'm down about 1-1.5 L every tank of gas... roughly 400-500km.
Thinking i should start with a PCV valve check/clean/replace and go from there. Should note that my catch can is not full when checked.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wanted to bump this thread.

Currently burning oil in my 5.7. 174,XXXkm on the engine. Typically I only see smoke on start up. I'm down about 1-1.5 L every tank of gas... roughly 400-500km.
Thinking i should start with a PCV valve check/clean/replace and go from there. Should note that my catch can is not full when checked.
If cleaning the pcv doesn't cure it Andrew, if you have a compression testor that'd be my next step.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes clean the pcv valve its on top of the intake just be careful easy to break sometimes if its stuck. How many miles on it and how much does it burn? any smoke at at operating temp when your rev it? Its normal to burn some but it appears on jeeps/rams Its always the valve stem seals people always think their engine is shot I get it throw some seals on it and it stops smoking/burning.

Just did another 5.7 with 180k on it last month was burning oil/smoking a little on startup had it apart for lifters. New stem seals smokes gone no complaints of oil burning the seals harden up with a little age they make them cheaper and cheaper.

Last edited: