Oil change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Thanks for the info and saving me money, i saved the fleetguard numbers and plan on returning the fram i bought tomorrow. What would you recomend my oil change interval be, i do not tow anything just normal driving around town and no highway driving at all.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Same here ^ I rarely tow so I choose 10k

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
It will take some gettin used to the idea of 10k oil changes it just don't seem right since i been doing it wrong all these years damn.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
If it makes you feel better , change it sooner . Its all up to you . All we are saying is its not going to hurt anything to go longer .

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Filter is most important but oil additives are really what decide how long you can make it. I am trying out the new Bosch distance filters to see if I can go 10k with Hemi and still have nice oil.

I agree fram are junk I would rather use a super tech from Walmart. Keep in mind only a few companies actually make the filters so it really is just what quality they decide on. fram filters I have heard make hemis tick because they have a bad design but not sure if it is true.

$miley

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
15w-40 no additives 10k miles

Only additives I use is 2 cycle in my fuel

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
By this I mean from the factory what detergents and additives are included not added by user.

$miley

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Thanks fellas i'm definitly gonna use fleetguard filters,and name brand oil [i have used super tech once when i was low on cash felt guilty as hell] and i will change oil some time before 10k.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Thanks for the info and saving me money, i saved the fleetguard numbers and plan on returning the fram i bought tomorrow. What would you recomend my oil change interval be, i do not tow anything just normal driving around town and no highway driving at all.

Here you go... Part numbers for common things...
1998 - 2000 ISB engine specs

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
Filter is most important but oil additives are really what decide how long you can make it. I am trying out the new Bosch distance filters to see if I can go 10k with Hemi and still have nice oil.

I agree fram are junk I would rather use a super tech from Walmart. Keep in mind only a few companies actually make the filters so it really is just what quality they decide on. fram filters I have heard make hemis tick because they have a bad design but not sure if it is true.

$miley

Little secret on Fleetguard... It's made by Cummins... So you know the quality and specs are going to meet there own engines for sure...

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've been doing 5k km oil changes as I believe thats what was on the service plan at the dealership... Looking at the scanned page, IIRC it says 10k km.... I have extended warranty for another 30k km, so I'm wondering what schedule they'd follow if something cratered.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I've been doing 5k km oil changes as I believe thats what was on the service plan at the dealership... Looking at the scanned page, IIRC it says 10k km.... I have extended warranty for another 30k km, so I'm wondering what schedule they'd follow if something cratered.

Yeah I got suckered to by the dealer when I purchased my 02 Dodge. They told a fib and said it best to change oil every 5K miles. But clearly stated in the owners manual it states 7.5K miles. But after doing some serious reading and realizing that diesel are not gasoline engine. The don't have the acid build up like gassers do. Then you got to relize your dealing with 3 GALLONS of oil not 1.5 GALLONS like most gassers or maybe less... So it take much more time to contaminate 3 gallons of oil.

Hence why the schedule of 7.5K miles is fine... Now if you using bypass filters or simular you can extend you oil changes farther. But I think 10K is far enough for me being all the dusty roads I travel.

AT_Runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Change oil message

I bought the vehicle in august 11. got a "change oil" message after 3 months. Serviced the car with the dealer in December with 3k miles. Last week the car again gives me the "change oil" message. Car now has 5.2K miles. Anyone else find this strange?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
I bought the vehicle in august 11. got a "change oil" message after 3 months. Serviced the car with the dealer in December with 3k miles. Last week the car again gives me the "change oil" message. Car now has 5.2K miles. Anyone else find this strange?

No because you have the EGR and DPF filter and since these device tend to dirty up the engine oil sooner the ECM knows that city driving requires more oil changes keep the oil up to par. Also its known that common rail engine tend to contaminate the engine oil with fuel from the pre-injection event and in your case the regen event. So this typical of the newer generation Cummins trucks. If you hitch up a trailer and drove the truck daily foe 400-800 miles you must likely won't have these issues. Common Rail engine don't like being a grocery getter rig...

You have to remember the orignal design of the diesel engine was to fire the diesel fuel in the bowl of the piston.

Last edited:

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was talking to an Amsoil dealer this weekend...and there synthetic fluid is good for 25,000 miles oil changes (I didn't add a zero).... hell even if you changed it at 15,000 miles thats still 1 change in a year for me.

AT_Runner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
No because you have the EGR and DPF filter and since these device tend to dirty up the engine oil sooner the ECM knows that city driving requires more oil changes keep the oil up to par. Also its known that common rail engine tend to contaminate the engine oil with fuel from the pre-injection event and in your case the regen event. So this typical of the newer generation Cummins trucks. If you hitch up a trailer and drove the truck daily foe 400-800 miles you must likely won't have these issues. Common Rail engine don't like being a grocery getter rig...

You have to remember the orignal design of the diesel engine was to fire the diesel fuel in the bowl of the piston.

Hardly a grocery getter. I do construction and give the truck a fair run. I have a five ton dump trailer and a storage trailer that I tow about 25% of the time. Yes, my miles are low and mostly city but still this is a very far cry from the 7500 miles schedule. I never heard of an oil change after 2000 miles

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Correct me if I am wrong but I am quite sure that ours trucks do not have a sensor that evaluates the oil like GM. It simply tells you to change it and I know on mine it is really random seems to be around 2500 miles though. I usually do extended oil changes as I use Amsoil myself and I judge the oil myself based on miles and what it looks like. I have been going 6k to 10k no problem. I do a lot of stop and go driving and short trips otherwise I would go longer.
I would say what happened to you is completely normal.
P.S. if you plan to do extended oil change use filters with high quality insides or they will break down before you reach target.

$miley

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My best answer- no one really knows why it goes off at the intervals it does

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
From what I've heard is a computer program that montiors your driving habits and tries to calculate the oil change intervals...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley