Oil consumption 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I checked mine today. At 4,044 miles I was almost exactly the same level on the dip stick as you were. I went ahead and changed it since it’s been 6 months since I took delivery of the truck. I also bought enough 0w40 PUP and filters to do 3 changes. I got a little over 6 quarts out with the filter and that’s after spilling a little filling my milk jugs. I suspect I was down around a half quart. Not concerned at all.

Oil filter was snug but it wasn’t hard to remove at all. I needed to use my oil filter pliers to remove it. Overall one of the easier vehicles I’ve done an oil change on, took longer to clean up than it did to change.

Yeah this 0 weight oil is a doozy. Drops like water when you pull the plug. I learned that on my wife's Subaru.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah this 0 weight oil is a doozy. Drops like water when you pull the plug. I learned that on my wife's Subaru.

Yeah it drains fast, except for the oil cooler must have a lot of oil in it because it took a good 10 minutes for it to stop draining after I pulled the filter.

I do suspect mine wasn’t quite full at the factory. With 7 quarts it reads almost to the top hole on the dipstick. Last time I checked it the oil level was solidly in the middle of the thatching. I’m a little ashamed to admit that was probably at around 1k.

My wife has a Subaru too. My last change at 24k was my second DIY change on it and it was down over a quart in 6k. Unfortunately common on the FB25, but I did use Castrol Edge on that fill. It’s going in to the dealer if it’s down a quart on this next one, but so far the oil level on the dipstick hasn’t budged.

One thing the SRT spec Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 has it in that most other 0w40 oils do not is a healthy dose of molybdenum which allegedly provides additional protection to the cam and lifters. PUP is generally well regarded as a high quality oil with a solid additive pack. Redline is another that has a lot of moly in and it has been the remedy for many ticking 5.7s.

Ryan Mackie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My 2019 6.4 went through about 3/4 of a quart in the first 3500kms and then didn’t seem to use any more and still doesn’t seem to have about 25000kms on it now. I was pretty concerned as well tho. Hopefully yours stops too.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Yeah it drains fast, except for the oil cooler must have a lot of oil in it because it took a good 10 minutes for it to stop draining after I pulled the filter.

I do suspect mine wasn’t quite full at the factory. With 7 quarts it reads almost to the top hole on the dipstick. Last time I checked it the oil level was solidly in the middle of the thatching. I’m a little ashamed to admit that was probably at around 1k.

My wife has a Subaru too. My last change at 24k was my second DIY change on it and it was down over a quart in 6k. Unfortunately common on the FB25, but I did use Castrol Edge on that fill. It’s going in to the dealer if it’s down a quart on this next one, but so far the oil level on the dipstick hasn’t budged.

One thing the SRT spec Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 has it in that most other 0w40 oils do not is a healthy dose of molybdenum which allegedly provides additional protection to the cam and lifters. PUP is generally well regarded as a high quality oil with a solid additive pack. Redline is another that has a lot of moly in and it has been the remedy for many ticking 5.7s.

I spoke to a friend of mine who tests oil for a living. He said the mobil 1 was a superior oil, and the penzoil was only suggested because fiat is in bed with shell. Prior to this, Mobil was the suggested oil. The MS-12366 rating requires two years of tests and likely a large sum of money that most of these companies weren't willing to pay, or royalties.

This is the first time any of my vehicles have "required" an oil to pass some secret test. It's always just been a viscosity thing. I think it's a load of BS.

But hey, I could be wrong.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Could be worse. My old 1994 F250 7.5 went through 6 quarts of oil down and back from Nags Head (about 1200 miles round trip). Truck only had about 25,000 miles on it. Prior to that my 1990 F150 5.0 went through a quart every 800 miles and got 9 MPG. Dealer rebuilt the engine under warranty but it wasn't much better. Adding to that they checked out the rear end noise and found the lash was off from the factory but Ford wouldn't pay to replace the gears, only reset the lash, which is a no-no. When I picked it up they told me I better be trading it in before my warranty was up. It had 45,000 on it when I traded it. And that is why I will never own another Ford (well besides the fact our brand new 1996 Windstar blew a head gasket at 70.000 miles)

Thornback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Rough rings and rough cylinder walls will (marry-up") seat over time as the high points wear off. That was the old days. Today the machining process tolerances are so precise the rings and cylinder walls are "smooth" compared to the old days. Takes longer for rings to seat if they ever seat because there is no initial wear. The level of oil on the dipstick in the OP is low. I would add a quart and keep a close check on it in the future. And add oil when necessary. You do not want to run an engine low on oil.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I spoke to a friend of mine who tests oil for a living. He said the mobil 1 was a superior oil, and the penzoil was only suggested because fiat is in bed with shell. Prior to this, Mobil was the suggested oil. The MS-12366 rating requires two years of tests and likely a large sum of money that most of these companies weren't willing to pay, or royalties.

This is the first time any of my vehicles have "required" an oil to pass some secret test. It's always just been a viscosity thing. I think it's a load of BS.

But hey, I could be wrong.

I would be more skeptical of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 recommendation if all of the FCA engines required it or another SOPUS product, but it’s limited to the SRT engines and the Ram 6.4. I can only speculate as to why, but the 6.4 is low volume compared to the 5.7.

As far as the quality of PUP 0w40, I was sold after seeing the ****** oil analysis and used oil analysis posted on https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ Its as good as any 0w40 with the exception of the high molybdenum content. Molybdenum is an an anti-wear additive.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I just checked my dipstick on my 2019 2500 6.4 with 4200 miles. Oil change sticker is due at 6000.....

Is that normal? I'm concerned bc I have 1800 miles to drive and it's below the add oil mark.

View attachment 210105

2019 PW, my dealer told me to change at 5000 and they would cover it, it was low when they did it. just had my second change at 13000 and it was also low. is it rings needing to be reseated or just 0w-40 ....

BBJYD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2014 6.4 and just crossed 100,000mi. I change oil myself and have noticed that the engine always eats some oil. I will check it periodically and have to top it off. Just the way it goes.

It was explained to me once, that it has something to do with the design of the vac return lines and the hemi engine. Thats why guys run catch cans, because so much oil is being sent back through the intake manifold.

PowerWagon2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
my 2019 2500 PW did the same things and since the 1st oil change has not used a drop of oil since. 12,000 miles later and several more oil changes.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2019 PW, my dealer told me to change at 5000 and they would cover it, it was low when they did it. just had my second change at 13000 and it was also low. is it rings needing to be reseated or just 0w-40 ....

How low?

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 with 3,000 miles on it, oil is right on full where it started. I do not turn off MDS..... WHY??? Has 0 effect on oil burn. If that was my truck I would go buy a quart and fill it up. Do not drive 1 quart low.... Did you do follow the break in process on your engine?? Specifically for first 500 miles, variable speeds and make several wide open throttle runs??? I have always driven my vehicles like I stole them.... I do not baby them ever!

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2019 with 3,000 miles on it, oil is right on full where it started. I do not turn off MDS..... WHY??? Has 0 effect on oil burn. If that was my truck I would go buy a quart and fill it up. Do not drive 1 quart low.... Did you do follow the break in process on your engine?? Specifically for first 500 miles, variable speeds and make several wide open throttle runs??? I have always driven my vehicles like I stole them.... I do not baby them ever!

Yep. Followed it.

WoodGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
May have already been said, but the manual mentions some oil usage early on as normal. I've checked mine at every fill up, but so far so good. Only have 1400 miles so far on the first oil change that was done at 1900.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess it may be up to wether Pedro or Jose loaded the rings in the pistons at the factory in Mexico... Mine hasn’t burned a drop... possible they mis read the micrometer when they measured the cylinder diameter and put the wrong rings on a few cyclinders???

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 19 power wagon, used oil excessively until around 12k miles, at 15k it no longer uses oil.. also smoked blue on startup at 10k miles... after breakin it all cleared up, no more smoke on cold startup and no more oil usage. Scary for a new vehicle to do that. Glad it’s over.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ole saying " she doesn't use a drop of oil " is over stated in most cases.

Wife bought a new Subaru Outback in 1996 and had to add a quart between 5K oil changes for it's entire life........daughter wrecked it at 312,000 miles.

If I could have gotten the Hood up, I'd likely have added a quart for ole time sake.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 19 power wagon, used oil excessively until around 12k miles, at 15k it no longer uses oil.. also smoked blue on startup at 10k miles... after breakin it all cleared up, no more smoke on cold startup and no more oil usage. Scary for a new vehicle to do that. Glad it’s over.

Yeah, that'd be a deal breaker for me. I don't know why you let it go that long. This oil is like 10 bucks a quart.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The ole saying " she doesn't use a drop of oil " is over stated in most cases.

Wife bought a new Subaru Outback in 1996 and had to add a quart between 5K oil changes for it's entire life........daughter wrecked it at 312,000 miles.

If I could have gotten the Hood up, I'd likely have added a quart for ole time sake.

That's insane. If I wanted a vehicle that needed oil added I'd buy an old beater. I work on cars for a living, I certainly don't want to open the hood every few thousand miles to see if it's burned too much oil on a new car.