Oil Drain Bolt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iplax13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V 6
I have a 2017 4wd v6 ram 1500 quad cab.
Took it to get its first oil change, and the guys wouldnt do it, because the drain bolt head is rounded.
Does anyone know the part number for a new oem bolt? I will just back it out with an extractor, and replace it while doing the oil change at home.
Thank you

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have a 2017 4wd v6 ram 1500 quad cab.
Took it to get its first oil change, and the guys wouldnt do it, because the drain bolt head is rounded.
Does anyone know the part number for a new oem bolt? I will just back it out with an extractor, and replace it while doing the oil change at home.
Thank you

It's available from Rock Auto, just put in your truck info and click oil pan bolt

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
because its just too cool I agree just put a proper oem bolt back end of story

Octane

Reaction score
If you have a shop changing your oil a valve type drain plug is better as they wont strip it or round it off like a drain plug.Well, unless they're idjits and nothing is really idjit proof.

myownguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram
Engine
HEMI
I know right! My last 3 oil changes done @ dealerships and I not only have a rounded drain plug, but after they ran out of talent and started trying to "tap it loose with a chisel" the inside nut now just spins and blot never came out. With no leak (thankfully), I brought it home and have pulled the oil pan. I plan on going back with all receipts and having a entirely planned absolute counter come-a-part. I DO not expect to get a thing as that is all they offered besides the estimate to fix it. Love my Ram but if you cant cover what you hire, start paying more to hire right.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If you have a shop changing your oil a valve type drain plug is better as they wont strip it or round it off like a drain plug.Well, unless they're idjits and nothing is really idjit proof.

From my experience, many quickie lube places to even include dealership oil change bays will still unscrew the Fumoto or any other brand drain valve because it drains that much quicker and wrench it back on. One has to really make sure it gets to oil change tech to not wrench it off or there is 50/50 chance they will.

I like drain valves but would not recommend one in place of a drain bolt if one is regularly still having someone else do their oil changes.

Octane

Reaction score
From my experience, many quickie lube places to even include dealership oil change bays will still unscrew the Fumoto or any other brand drain valve because it drains that much quicker and wrench it back on. One has to really make sure it gets to oil change tech to not wrench it off or there is 50/50 chance they will.

I like drain valves but would not recommend one in place of a drain bolt if one is regularly still having someone else do their oil changes.
That is why I said nothing is truly idjit proof.But mechanics can be a bit lazy about certain things so I bet they would just open the valve.Mine is not fumoto and it drains pretty fast.But off road they are not as safe as a drainbolt would be.IMO.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That is why I said nothing is truly idjit proof.But mechanics can be a bit lazy about certain things so I bet they would just open the valve.Mine is not fumoto and it drains pretty fast.But off road they are not as safe as a drainbolt would be.IMO.
I'm with you on that. Hit the valve on a rock and goodbye oil. Hit the bolt and even if you shear the head off, which is pretty unlikely at least most of the bolt will still be in the hole.

bloup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Valve is for DIY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk