Oil Drain Plug 14' Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So I went and did my first oil change on my truck, and when I took off the drain plug and drained all the oil I was instantly stuck, The gasket on the drain plug looked like a C (I did notice a small oil leak from the plug before I took it off). What do I do, with a truck with no oil and no other ride. Call my mom! lol Mom gives me a ride to all the auto parts stores. They dont carry a gasket for this plug, instead they all have to order a whole plug. Ok Thats fine, 2 days wait with no oil in my truck isnt.

So I go for the next best Idea, I buy a o-ring that seems to fit perfectly in the old groove on the plug. I tighten her down put oil in go for a test drive, No Leaks, Yet... Does anyone have any experience with these plug gaskets/rings what every it is. Did I do wrong by using a rubber O-Ring.

The O-RING looked like it didnt even do anything though, As I tightened it down it kinda just "Splooshed" out around the plug.

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Leave the o-ring until the new plug/gasket show up.

OP
OP
bigbuck92

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Problem is I think I'd have to leave it in until the next oil change, unless I want a big mess. lol

dlromo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nah, you'll lose a few ounces while swapping it, or just leave it like you said till the next oil change unless it starts leaking.

OP
OP
bigbuck92

bigbuck92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah, you'll lose a few ounces while swapping it, or just leave it like you said till the next oil change unless it starts leaking.
DITTO: There are also plugs like Fumoto that are flat and work like an interior seal, where U screw on drain, which pushes valve inside of plug, which then opens up and drains, slightly less hanging and basically a drain bolt with a cap.....The Cummings drain plugs are supposed to be recessed for safety, but since I have never been under a Cummings, and my ED that I owned was different, do not know...

URL: https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ez-dp-18mmpla-dg/drain-valves

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This is a stupid question. But my truck will see water mud and rocks regularly. Will the valve get stuck or accidentally open?
The drain valve handle is spring loaded, It has to be lifted and turned. The Fumoto comes with a clip that stops the handle from being lifted, you can also wrap a zip tie around it as a secondary protection.
images.jpeg