Oil filter relocation kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey yall.
So recently I decided to start changing my own oil on my 2017 2500 6.4 4x4 truck. After a big company bought a local shop and more than doubled the price on changing it. Anyways while changing my oil I switched to schaeffers 0w40 oil i also installed a fumoto oil drain valve which worked out great. As I installed it the gasket fell off and I didn't notice until I was checking for leaks haha. I drained all the oil back into the quarts and didn't lose a drop.
Anyways I hate how the filter lays horizontal over a tray that drains all over my front end. I know there are tricks to letting it clean. Ziploc bag, cover tray in foil, etc etc but I would rather just relocate the filter and be done with it. I have seen threads where the transdapt 1127 kit works with the 5.7 hemi but when I look it up it says will not fit my 6.4. Any of the derale kits say they won't fit my 6.4.
Anyone installed a filter relocation kit on a 2500 with the 6.4 hemi??
What kit did you use and are you happy with it. Thanks for any input

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i think your making something out of nothing. the oil can drip on the draglink and tierod but of course it can be wiped off. if you dont like that then just hold any old piece of cardboard there. or piece of plywood. thats what i do. and dont pull off the filter complely or a big rush of oil goes out. unscrew it all the way but hold it against the block and tilt it slightly so its a controled slower stream into the funel. try changing a upside down toyota filter. that takes some creative thinking to not spill it all over

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Not on a 2500 but I use a Trans Dapt dual filter kit and Wix 51515R Filter. The kit part number is 1213 (the 1030 is JUST the base)

Between the two filters I get an extra quart of oil capacity plus it runs slightly cooler.IMG-0570.JPG
IMG-0569.JPG
EDIT: Stock size filter and 51515R size comparison.
IMG-0571.JPG

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey yall.
So recently I decided to start changing my own oil on my 2017 2500 6.4 4x4 truck. After a big company bought a local shop and more than doubled the price on changing it. Anyways while changing my oil I switched to schaeffers 0w40 oil i also installed a fumoto oil drain valve which worked out great. As I installed it the gasket fell off and I didn't notice until I was checking for leaks haha. I drained all the oil back into the quarts and didn't lose a drop.
Anyways I hate how the filter lays horizontal over a tray that drains all over my front end. I know there are tricks to letting it clean. Ziploc bag, cover tray in foil, etc etc but I would rather just relocate the filter and be done with it. I have seen threads where the transdapt 1127 kit works with the 5.7 hemi but when I look it up it says will not fit my 6.4. Any of the derale kits say they won't fit my 6.4.
Anyone installed a filter relocation kit on a 2500 with the 6.4 hemi??
What kit did you use and are you happy with it. Thanks for any input

Look up the filters for a 5.7 and 6.4,if they use the same 22mm X 1.5 thread pitch filter nipple,the adapter listed for a 5.7 should also work on your 6.4.I'm to lazy to check it today,lol

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Look up the filters for a 5.7 and 6.4,if they use the same 22mm X 1.5 thread pitch filter nipple,the adapter listed for a 5.7 should also work on your 6.4.I'm to lazy to check it today,lol

I believe the thread is the same wasn't sure of the filter mating surface though

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i think your making something out of nothing. the oil can drip on the draglink and tierod but of course it can be wiped off. if you dont like that then just hold any old piece of cardboard there. or piece of plywood. thats what i do. and dont pull off the filter complely or a big rush of oil goes out. unscrew it all the way but hold it against the block and tilt it slightly so its a controled slower stream into the funel. try changing a upside down toyota filter. that takes some creative thinking to not spill it all over

I get that and I get that it's easy to hold the cardboard etc etc. I'm not trying to be rude but I'm not looking for ideas to clean or catch the mess. I don't care to do all that every time I change my oil.
I would like to just fix the issue and be done with it. As I get older I just want things to be easier and cleaner.
As far as making something out of nothing that is your opinion I asked a simple question to make this job a little bit easier and cleaner. If I can't find a system that fits I'll keep doing it this way. What is wrong with wanting to improve it though

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That filter isn’t designed for the ram anyways. It just happens to fit. I’m running that kit with upgraded hoses on my 1500 with the 5.7. It’s all a matter of making things work.

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Not on a 2500 but I use a Trans Dapt dual filter kit and Wix 51515R Filter. The kit part number is 1213 (the 1030 is JUST the base)

Between the two filters I get an extra quart of oil capacity plus it runs slightly cooler.View attachment 228095
View attachment 228096
EDIT: Stock size filter and 51515R size comparison.
View attachment 228098

Excellent, I'm gonna check that out and compare it to the thread pitch and all if the 6.4 thank you very much.
Running cooler and extra quart of oil is a good thing

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I believe the thread is the same wasn't sure of the filter mating surface though

I'd hazard a guess they are the same diameter sealing surface,i don't have a 5.7 filter on hand,but do have a 6.4 filter,and to me from what i remember ,it looks like my original 5.7 filter was the same diameter.If you're seriously thinking about relocating the filter,it might be worth while measuring things up and seeing if you can get a dual remote filter set-up instead of the single set-up.I ran the single for a few years,before finally getting my lazy ass motivated and swapping the single set-up,out for a dual set-up.My pressures came up a bit compared to the single set-up,plus it gives you that much more filtering area,that holds more oil.Just my 02 though,lol.Old and new set-ups.If you do go for the remote Transdapt mount,it's well worth spending a few minutes with a die grinder cleaning it up some.It's a mass produced casting,that has sharp corners ,and a little clean-up to smooth them out doesn't hurt,i'm not a fan of sharp corners in an oil system if i can avoid them,lol

DSCN3985.JPG

DSCN4954.JPG

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'd hazard a guess they are the same diameter sealing surface,i don't have a 5.7 filter on hand,but do have a 6.4 filter,and to me from what i remember ,it looks like my original 5.7 filter was the same diameter.If you're seriously thinking about relocating the filter,it might be worth while measuring things up and seeing if you can get a dual remote filter set-up instead of the single set-up.I ran the single for a few years,before finally getting my lazy ass motivated and swapping the single set-up,out for a dual set-up.My pressures came up a bit compared to the single set-up,plus it gives you that much more filtering area,that holds more oil.Just my 02 though,lol.Old and new set-ups.If you do go for the remote Transdapt mount,it's well worth spending a few minutes with a die grinder cleaning it up some.It's a mass produced casting,that has sharp corners ,and a little clean-up to smooth them out doesn't hurt,i'm not a fan of sharp corners in an oil system if i can avoid them,lol

View attachment 228121

View attachment 228122

That looks pretty clean. Curious did you have issues with your single filter set up or did you just want better filtration? I do tow but not often but I do like the idea of the better system. Especially since I plan to keep this truck a long time. Thank you for the pics. I was wondering if there was room for the dual filter setup now I know lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That looks pretty clean. Curious did you have issues with your single filter set up or did you just want better filtration? I do tow but not often but I do like the idea of the better system. Especially since I plan to keep this truck a long time. Thank you for the pics. I was wondering if there was room for the dual filter setup now I know lol

More like i kicked my ass for not going to the dual set-up right from word go,must'a had a blond moment when i bought the original set-up,as my experience with dual filters goes back to the early 80's,and i knew the pressure would come up with dual filters.This pic is from the early 80's on my old 68Z,just after an all night thrash to replace the BB i'd blew up at about midnight the night before.Had a professional photographer coming to take pics of the car at 11:00 the next day,and the deal was he'd do the pics free,but he wanted a ride in the car,so me and a buddy thrashed all night to swap out a blown up radical high dollar 427 for a running 454,that's why the motor isn't colour matched to the car,and not all the hose coverings were all on.That 454 for being out of a 1 Ton was actually one of the best motors i ever had in the car,it swallowed nitrous better then most engines i had in the car,lol.But you can see the dual filter set-up on it,and it's the same TransDapt dual mount you buy to this day,lol
ScannedImage.jpg

ScannedImage-4.jpg

LilredHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Caution before you buy! 5.7 Hemis use a 3/4 x 16 thread size and 6.4s use a 22mm x 1.5 thread. I work for Napa and we carry an ATP 18428 remote filter kit. I will check tomorrow if it will support the smaller 6.4 filter size.

Anyone note: The Wix 51515R filter is a RACING filter and IS NOT DESIGNED FOR EXTENDED HIGHWAY USE!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Caution before you buy! 5.7 Hemis use a 3/4 x 16 thread size and 6.4s use a 22mm x 1.5 thread. I work for Napa and we carry an ATP 18428 remote filter kit. I will check tomorrow if it will support the smaller 6.4 filter size.

Anyone note: The Wix 51515R filter is a RACING filter and IS NOT DESIGNED FOR EXTENDED HIGHWAY USE!

That's only the earlier 5.7's,anything after i think 08 (don't quote me on the year though) uses the 22mm X 1.5 thread pitch filters.Plus if need be the nipple can be swapped out to match either thread pitch

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
More like i kicked my ass for not going to the dual set-up right from word go,must'a had a blond moment when i bought the original set-up,as my experience with dual filters goes back to the early 80's,and i knew the pressure would come up with dual filters.This pic is from the early 80's on my old 68Z,just after an all night thrash to replace the BB i'd blew up at about midnight the night before.Had a professional photographer coming to take pics of the car at 11:00 the next day,and the deal was he'd do the pics free,but he wanted a ride in the car,so me and a buddy thrashed all night to swap out a blown up radical high dollar 427 for a running 454,that's why the motor isn't colour matched to the car,and not all the hose coverings were all on.That 454 for being out of a 1 Ton was actually one of the best motors i ever had in the car,it swallowed nitrous better then most engines i had in the car,lol.But you can see the dual filter set-up on it,and it's the same TransDapt dual mount you buy to this day,lol
View attachment 228123

View attachment 228124
Very cool pics and info thank you

OP
OP
allenmp

allenmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

Awesome thanks you very much

Awesome thank you very much
When I look that one up it shows it will not fit my truck. But if Napa has one I would sure be interested.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Awesome thanks you very much

Awesome thank you very much
When I look that one up it shows it will not fit my truck. But if Napa has one I would sure be interested.

If the 6.4 uses a 22mm X1.5 filter,it's the same nipple and probably sealing base as the 5.7 uses.The size of the filters sealing surface is listed in the specs

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1127 Trans-Dapt Performance Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kits | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Heres the dual kit

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1227 Trans-Dapt Performance Remote Oil Filter Relocation Kits | Summit Racing - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

KLook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I referenced the book for an oil filter for my 6.4 it gave me the same one I had for my previous 5.7....How can they be different?

plus I am interested in this remote setup.....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I forgot to mention my trucks a 1500,not a 2500,so you'll want to do some eyeballing and measuring to make sure you have room to mount it to the frame like most of us are doing on the 1500's.I drilled and tapped my frame for 5/16's studs,then made studs out of some 5/16's ready rod.Only used 5/16's as i have a bunch of left over ready rod in that size,1/4" would probably suffice