Oil in the air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does any one have any tips on how to troubleshoot this problem?

I noticed this after replacing the PCV valve with a new mopar (for regular maintenance). This picture is after about 300 miles on a new air filter.

Could the new PCV valve be causing this?

F081E798-F5BC-495C-8861-C2C3D8678A2E.jpeg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say you have a bunch of carbon goo built-up in your intake manifold and its worked its way to the airbox over time. I would take everything off and clean it, even take some throttlebody cleaner and clean inside the upper intake with some rags and of course don't forget to clean the throttle body while you're at it. I assume you have a bunch of miles on it and yes the PCV could be having some small effect on it too; make sure it rattles when you shake it.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has a small stain in the same place under where the pcv hose connects to the airbox. I'd throw a catch can on it just to be on the safe side. I'm going to build another one of my homemade catch cans for mine. Grab a cheap air compressor air/oil separator and throw some barbed hose ends on it and put it inline in that hose. I did that on all my LS cars, usually for about $15 total.

CatchCan.PNG

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's pretty gross. I would start at the air box and work your way back to the PCV valve cleaning all the pipes/hoses/whatever is in there.

It seems like maybe you weren't getting and positive venting, and now you are.

OP
OP
meltino

meltino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like maybe you weren't getting and positive venting, and now you are.

I believe you're right, the old PCV valve wasn't rattling. I took all the hoses out and ran compressed air through them, a lot of that stuff came out, hopefully it doesn't come back. Thanks guys.