Oil pressure varying….concerned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 classic Hemi oil pressure has reduced a little.

I’m using Royal Purple 5w30 with an RP filter. For 3,500 miles it ran 48 psi at 75 mpg consistently. Today on a 3 hour trip it dropped to 44 and occasionally 43 psi and stayed there for 200+ miles. I guess 5 psi is a not a big drop but I don’t understand why.

I’ve been told that Royal Purple is crap and breaks down quickly. Might this be the case??

Just in case, On the next warm day I plan to change it Kendall GT1 full synthetic as I have a case available in the garage from my wife’s old car. Also, I’m switching to a mopar 399 oil filter.

Coolant temp floated from202 to 220. Oil temp hit over 224…truck has 37,000 miles.

Should I be worried??? Ugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I would never run Royal Purple on my truck due to stories that I have read not only here but around the WWW .... Switch to Redline 5w30 with a Royal Purple filter pn#20-820 ....

Before I switched to Redline 5w30 I didn't like how the truck felt at times, my oil pressure was all over the place, from the low mid 30s to high 60s ... now that I run the Redline it stays between 45-55 and I have seen others say that is where it should be ...

Do a search about royal purple on these forums, you will see that they complained that their oil pressure dropped big time with that oil ... should you be worried, probably not, but I would just switch to Redline and not worry about it

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was using valvoline 5w20 and occasionally got a short lifter tick on startup. A friends suggested going to royal purple 5w30, so I made the switch.

It did eliminate the lifter tick for the most part (still a little once in a while) but mpg dropped from for 20+ hiway to 17-18.

I’ll be interested to see if going back to 5w20 will make any difference

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why is 5w20 so bad?

Certainly Chrysler recommends it, my experience is that it degrades mpg, and the 5w30 I am currently using does not seem to be doing the job. Confused!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why is 5w20 so bad?

Certainly Chrysler recommends it, my experience is that it degrades mpg, and the 5w30 I am currently using does not seem to be doing the job. Confused!
The note at the bottom might interest you.You'll also notice nowhere do they say 5W-20 is good for engine longevity,and you can be dammed sure if they thought 5W-20 was good for longevity,they'd be mentioning it.

Attachments

• IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    IMG_3931 (2).JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that the older owners manuals indicate that 5w30 can be used “IF” 5w20 is unavailable. My 2019 owners manual does not say that. Hence, I would assume that it no longer applies.

I was told by a dealer several years ago that the option for 5w30 only existed because 5w20 had just become available and couldn’t be found everywhere.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know that the older owners manuals indicate that 5w30 can be used “IF” 5w20 is unavailable. My 2019 owners manual does not say that. Hence, I would assume that it no longer applies.

I was told by a dealer several years ago that the option for 5w30 only existed because 5w20 had just become available and couldn’t be found everywhere.
It still applies,that's from the big 700 page printed owners manual for my 14,the engines haven't changed,but the government nannies forced FCA to remove that note,as supposedly the trucks wouldn't meet their CAFE numbers using 5W-30. Run what you want,but there's alot of us who swear by Redline 5W-30. Royal Purples filters have a good rep,but you won't find many guys reconmending their oil in a Hemi. If you go to your local dealer for a filter,make sure you get the White SRT filter,avoid the black filter

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I sit here pondering and worrying, worrying and pondering, I had a thought.

My son in law has a 2015 Ram with almost 200,000 miles and it runs like a clock. He never had an issue except brakes. He has the truck to haul some furniture from time to time, and pulls a utility trailer with his atv to his country cabin. Basically it is a daily driver to haul my daughter and two grand daughters from place to place.

He has absolutely ZERO mechanical skills or interest. I asked him about oil changes and he goes to the dealer twice a year because his dad said he should. I asked what kind of oil they use and he has no clue and doesn’t care.

So, I called the dealer and they use bulk 5w20 conventional oil in everything. The service guy said he thought it was Phillips 66 or pennzoil but he wasn’t sure. Sounded like he didn’t care.

Well, my son in law didn’t know he could view oil pressure, temperature, etc on the dash. He had no desire to see it since he had no idea what any of it meant.

How many millions of folks are just like him?? A bunch, and most folks have few, if any problems. So, why don’t I just relax, sit back, drink a beer and just drive my damm truck??? Good idea??

Well, I just can’t. Having been a mechanic for 10 years, I just can’t let things go. Dammit!!!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
As I sit here pondering and worrying, worrying and pondering, I had a thought.

My son in law has a 2015 Ram with almost 200,000 miles and it runs like a clock. He never had an issue except brakes. He has the truck to haul some furniture from time to time, and pulls a utility trailer with his atv to his country cabin. Basically it is a daily driver to haul my daughter and two grand daughters from place to place.

He has absolutely ZERO mechanical skills or interest. I asked him about oil changes and he goes to the dealer twice a year because his dad said he should. I asked what kind of oil they use and he has no clue and doesn’t care.

So, I called the dealer and they use bulk 5w20 conventional oil in everything. The service guy said he thought it was Phillips 66 or pennzoil but he wasn’t sure. Sounded like he didn’t care.

Well, my son in law didn’t know he could view oil pressure, temperature, etc on the dash. He had no desire to see it since he had no idea what any of it meant.

How many millions of folks are just like him?? A bunch, and most folks have few, if any problems. So, why don’t I just relax, sit back, drink a beer and just drive my damm truck??? Good idea??

Well, I just can’t. Having been a mechanic for 10 years, I just can’t let things go. Dammit!!!
They won't be using bulk conventional 5W-20 oil in the 6.4 SRT's or truck 6.4's,so he's feeding you a line about using conventional 5W-20 in everything. Why the hang up on not trying 5W-30 Redline,it's not hard to get,and it has a hell'va rep for use in the 5.7's,there's even a few guys running it in their 6.4 trucks,which calls for a 0W-40 full synthetic.If gas milege worries you,why are you driving a 5.7 truck,lol

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
They won't be using bulk conventional 5W-20 oil in the 6.4 SRT's or truck 6.4's,so he's feeding you a line about using conventional 5W-20 in everything. Why the hang up on not trying 5W-30 Redline,it's not hard to get,and it has a hell'va rep for use in the 5.7's,there's even a few guys running it in their 6.4 trucks,which calls for a 0W-40 full synthetic.If gas milege worries you,why are you driving a 5.7 truck,lol
When I saw everyone recommending me use Redline 5w30 and even reading about it on other forums I went ahead and tried it, my truck feels better and the readings look better ...

Don't hurt to try it and if you are worried about MPG I can tell you that it didn't affect mine at all , only thing that affected my MPG was having bigger wheels and tires ...

No one here is going to mislead you @zogg especially when it comes to what motor oil is best for these 5.7s .... but hey it's your truck do what ever you want to do with it ...

I just don't understand why so many people come on here, say that have concerns, they are given advise and recommendations and then they want to basically disagree with the recommendations and advise, help you name it without even trying it out ...

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not the gas mileage that bothers me. Heck, some years ago I drove an f150 4x4 with a 460 CU in v8. I always got 8-9 mpg, loaded or unloaded.

It is a concern that a drop in mpg due to increased oil viscosity. That tells me that something isn’t right. I know if I install over size all terrain tires that mpg will drop 2-4 mpg due to unsprung weight and tread design. Oil viscosity should not have that much of an effect. Maybe I’m wrong but, again, I defer to the mopar engineers.

Vicdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HeMi 5.7
Kid who changed my oil yesterday at the dealer didn’t know what brand the oil was.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wild one, I hear this a lot. If mpg is a concern… “. I like to keep tabs on mpg because significant change means there is an issue that needs to be addressed.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s not the gas mileage that bothers me. Heck, some years ago I drove an f150 4x4 with a 460 CU in v8. I always got 8-9 mpg, loaded or unloaded.

It is a concern that a drop in mpg due to increased oil viscosity. That tells me that something isn’t right. I know if I install over size all terrain tires that mpg will drop 2-4 mpg due to unsprung weight and tread design. Oil viscosity should not have that much of an effect. Maybe I’m wrong but, again, I defer to the mopar engineers.
Oil viscosity will change the mpg a bit more in the winter time.
Did the drop occur right after the oil change or after winter fuel/cold weather arrived??

I can't run the 5-30 in my hemi - causes a start up buck, and only on cold start. - but 0-30 works just fine.

I do add a quart of Redline 20wt. full racing oil, tons of good stuff in it but not so much on the detergent end of things - they other quarts do the cleaning as they have lots of detergents but not so much of the good stuff :) I will probably buy racing 30wt. next time.

Full disclosure - I never tried all Redline 5-30 though. As little as 4 quarts 5-30 with 3 quarts 5-20 caused the buck - BUT was a different oil, so maybe all Redline 5-30 would work ok in mine.
Bit pricey when changing it every 3-4000 miles though. lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I though all Ram dealers went to a blend oil several years ago - used to be Pennzoil, not sure if it is still the case.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Another vote for RL 5W-30. I'm running a Fram XG right now because my RP filter started causing startup rattle for 2 seconds on a second cold start; probably the ADV went south.

My PSI's with the Fram are 41 idle, 51 driving at temp, and about 60 on well-below-freezing cold start. The oil itself has about 3 to 4 thousand KM on it right now, filter is brand new.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before my Ram, over 8 years, I had a 2006 and 2011 300c, both with the hemi. Back then, the forum oil of choice was penzoil. That's what I ran 5w-20 with a royal purple filter. So, when I bought my truck with 20k miles that's what I used for a cycle until I read on here about Redline. I made the switch to Redline 5w-20 with royal purple filter and it ran much better. It lessened the hemi tick for sure. Next cycle, I went with Redline 5w-30. Tick gone, running even better.