Oil pressure varying….concerned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sturoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Meanwhile back to the OPs problem...I have 250k on my gen3 1500 5.7 I used 5/20 once when i bought it @200k . Had Hemi tick on start up and when oil press gauge started doing a dance i switched up to 5/30 using Castrol Quaker Valvo am now running Mob 1 w/ a small bottle of STP synth treatment. Hemi tick goes away after a minute ( lifters filling up) Pressure is steady and increases slightly at higher speeds of course.
The miles and climate plus the way you drive the truck will all contribute to engine wear n tear . Hi mileage engine bearings etc have more wear and that affects flow/ pressure. The type of oil does to a certain extent. Try them all once and decide what works best for you.
If you still have a problem it could be 1. the sensor 2. the pump.
A engine oil good flush is always nice !

as far as RP ? it didnt hold up for me. But i go from Colorado -10 hi alttitude to southwest desert 120 deg heat a few times a year . So I change my oil with the seasons : early spring and late fall .

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
FWIW, After I read here in the ramforum about the possibility of HEMI tick/cam/lifter failure I starting using Red Line 5w/30 with a PUROLATER BOSS oil filter in my HEMI @39,000 miles back in August last year with great results.

My HEMI didn't have the famous HEMI Tick. Just an occasional noisy drivetrain that is now super quiet and smooth on Red Line.

My oil psi increased ~ 5psi at 70 mph on the highway and hot idle on changing oil from Pennzoil Platinum 5w/20 to Red Line 5w/30. I would think that that is good

My 2017 HEMI now has 41,000k miles and still has a little warranty left until that expires later this year. I'm not the least bit worried, my HEMI runs and sounds better than it did brand new on Red Line oil and putting less than 2500 miles on it a year it'll be more prone to being wrecked by a crazed driver or a tree falling on it. I hope that neither happens.

I won't ever use 5w/20 in my HEMI engine again ... way to thin of oil. jm2¢.

JHoward

Last edited:

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wild one, I hear this a lot. If mpg is a concern… “. I like to keep tabs on mpg because significant change means there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
I reset my trip odometer at every fuel fill up. If something changes besides my driving style or route (city vs highway) then I feel like this will be a good indicator.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I reset my trip odometer at every fuel fill up. If something changes besides my driving style or route (city vs highway) then I feel like this will be a good indicator.
It's a good indicator as long as you factor in weather and winter fuel.Being from Ontario,i'm guessing you would be factoring in temps/weather and fuel differances though.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a good indicator as long as you factor in weather and winter fuel.Being from Ontario,i'm guessing you would be factoring in temps/weather and fuel differances though.
Yup I do that. It’s not a perfect system but it helps. I lose 100km a tank with winter tires and winter fuel.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They won't be using bulk conventional 5W-20 oil in the 6.4 SRT's or truck 6.4's,so he's feeding you a line about using conventional 5W-20 in everything. Why the hang up on not trying 5W-30 Redline,it's not hard to get,and it has a hell'va rep for use in the 5.7's,there's even a few guys running it in their 6.4 trucks,which calls for a 0W-40 full synthetic.If gas milege worries you,why are you driving a 5.7 truck,lol
0w40? Which part of the US?

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back to my original issue….coming home yesterday my oil pressure dropped down to 42 and even 41 psi at 75 mph. The oil is at the full mark as I checked it 3 times. Some guys post psi at 52-55 hiway.

I’m hoping it’s a bad oil pressure sensor or is my engine ready to grenade???? Ugh

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Back to my original issue….coming home yesterday my oil pressure dropped down to 42 and even 41 psi at 75 mph. The oil is at the full mark as I checked it 3 times. Some guys post psi at 52-55 hiway.

I’m hoping it’s a bad oil pressure sensor or is my engine ready to grenade???? Ugh

Why don't you try changing your oil/filter and see if that helps. It just might resolve your concern?

JHoward

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s my intention on Wednesday. Hoping the filter got clogged or the oil broke down. Oh well

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know my psi's went pretty high when I swapped out my RP 20-820 to a Fram XG. I don't remember exactly the psi I got before, but I'm now worried that my psi is TOO high, cold starts at well below freezing is like 60+ psi, driving when hot I'm at 51 psi, and idling is about 41 to 43.

I think there is probably that ideal balance between high pressure and oil flow but I don't know what that ideal value is. I do know I was seeing low 30's with my factory oil + filter and I never get that low anymore.

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to change my oil with 5w20 valvoline synthetic and a mopar 399 filter. I used an RP filter last time as these are supposed to be the best. But, I’ve also heard that they sometimes do cause pressure issues. We’ll see what happens. If psi doesn’t change I’ll put in a new oil pressure sensor. If that all doesn’t help I guess I’ll take it to the dealer.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m going to change my oil with 5w20 valvoline synthetic and a mopar 399 filter. I used an RP filter last time as these are supposed to be the best. But, I’ve also heard that they sometimes do cause pressure issues. We’ll see what happens. If psi doesn’t change I’ll put in a new oil pressure sensor. If that all doesn’t help I guess I’ll take it to the dealer.

If you change both at the same time then you don't know whether it was the oil or the filter that fixed the issue (if the psi's end up going back up).

I'd change the filter first, (lose about half a quart of oil but if you're at the top now you can handle that loss), run it and verify your PSI's. If no change after week, change your oil and keep your filter, if your psi scoot back up then it was the oil and you know you should stop running RP oil.

I think others would value that information, if it ends up being the oil.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I know my psi's went pretty high when I swapped out my RP 20-820 to a Fram XG. I don't remember exactly the psi I got before, but I'm now worried that my psi is TOO high, cold starts at well below freezing is like 60+ psi, driving when hot I'm at 51 psi, and idling is about 41 to 43.

I think there is probably that ideal balance between high pressure and oil flow but I don't know what that ideal value is. I do know I was seeing low 30's with my factory oil + filter and I never get that low anymore.

My HEMI's cold/hot psi is about the same as yours and it may be due to the combination of the oil/filter?

When I was running my HEMI on Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and the MOPAR 339 oil filter the cold and hot psi's were lower~5psi (44 hot idle/50 driving 70 mph.) So, I would think your good.

I'm currently using the PUROLATOR BOSS PBL 24651 oil filter but may use the Royal Purple 20-820 on the next oil change.

I purchased a couple Royal Purple oil filters and cut one open to see for my self the quality verses the PUROLATOR BOSS. I'm still not 100% on the plastic bypass thingy in the Royal Purple, overall quality is very good.

PUROLATOR BOSS 24651on the top/Royal Purple 20-820 on the bottom.

JHoward

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_171841959.jpg
    IMG_20220129_171841959.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220129_171649851.jpg
    IMG_20220129_171649851.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found a pic of the mopar 339 filter cut open. Looks similar to your Fram:

1644703202059.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s what I’ll be using on the next change (mopar 339). Your pressure is a lot better than mine ever was. Today I see 26-27 at hot idle and down to 40 at 75-80 mph. The more I drive it the lower the pressure gets . Ugh

I thought about changing just the filter and then the oil later but I just want to get it done.

Looking at your cut away of the RP filter, I can see where one of those plastic tabs might have broken off and impacted the oil flow through the filter. I don’t know but I’m ready to go as soon as the weather get a bit warmer. Twenty degrees is too cold for me to lay on the concrete at 74 years old. Ha

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
That’s what I’ll be using on the next change (mopar 339). Your pressure is a lot better than mine ever was. Today I see 26-27 at hot idle and down to 40 at 75-80 mph. The more I drive it the lower the pressure gets . Ugh

I thought about changing just the filter and then the oil later but I just want to get it done.

Looking at your cut away of the RP filter, I can see where one of those plastic tabs might have broken off and impacted the oil flow through the filter. I don’t know but I’m ready to go as soon as the weather get a bit warmer. Twenty degrees is too cold for me to lay on the concrete at 74 years old. Ha

Hopefully changing your oil and/or oil filter or both at the same time will resolve your oil psi concern.

However, it should be noted what ramffml posted in his comments. If you make many changes at once you won't know what resolved your concern?

IMA, that the Royal Purple oil filter is a thousand percent better than the MOPAR because of the spun micro glass filter media unless your concerned about the warranty.

Hopefully you'll keep us folks updated on your results.

JHoward

OP
OP
zogg

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll be sure to update this thread. Thanks.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What was the oil temperature?
When you check the oil level, is it after a few hour sitting or just after shutting the engine off?
Is the engine quiet when the pressure drops?
Do you change the oil often or follow when the truck tells you to change it? Could there be sludge in the pan restricting the oil pickup?