Oil recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGORANGERAM90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7 with aftermarket cam and headers. It is my daily driver and really wanting to get the best out of it. Any recommendations on which oil is best for oil change. I always use a Mopar oil filter unless it isn’t in stock then I use K&N. I also substitute a quart of oil with Lucas oil stabilizer.

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 5.7 with aftermarket cam and headers. It is my daily driver and really wanting to get the best out of it. Any recommendations on which oil is best for oil change. I always use a Mopar oil filter unless it isn’t in stock then I use K&N. I also substitute a quart of oil with Lucas oil stabilizer.
Why are you substituting 1/7 of the recommended oil fill with an additive that adds nothing to the quality of a modern synthetic motor oil? Seems counterproductive. You'd be better to use any brand oil that attains OEM spec, a quality oil filter, and run them your typical change interval, then have a lab analysis performed of the drain product to see what is going on as far as remaining additive package, metals and hydrocarbons, and other contaminents. That is a better value for actually helping to maintain your ride. Right now you are doing a home brew of unknown value.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tons of information on this forum available
Here is the short list
Royal Purple or Fram XG2 filter seem to be the top 2 recommendations
Redline 5w20 or w30 if you want to spend it for oil.
Pennzoil Ultra Plat is highly ranked for what I consider a normally priced option

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I would not use Lucas.

Attachments

• Lucas.png
    Lucas.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 6

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Royal Purple 20-820 or Fram XG2 oil filter
Red Line High Performance 5W30 or High Performance Lubricants Super Car 0W30 for high end oil choices.
Or, go Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 with a 15oz bottle of LubeGard Bio-Tech