(Oiling) corrosion protection advise needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a new 2023 RAM 1500 owner. I do plan on keeping this vehicle for a while and I want it to stay as nice looking as possible during its tenior with me.

I live in the Chicagoland area, where in winter use salt to de-ice the roads.

I've been looking into a newer form of corrosion protection (newer to me at least) called "oiling".

There's a company called NHoil that offers the products for sale and has dealers in areas that can apply it.

I'm interested to know if anyone has used this, and if so, what can you tell me able it? Of course I'm interested in whatever anyone might be able to contribute to this topic too.

Thanks in advance...

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There’s many threads on rust prevention, and extensive debates over which oil products perform best. Search is your friend. There’s a huge thread on Fluid Film if you’re into DIY, which isn’t hard at all.

My .02 any oil based products get the job done, and are superior to other methods. The main difference seems to be how well they resist washing off, which in turn leads to how often they need retreated. Don’t trust any method claiming to be once and done.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds like real good advise!

I will do some searching here, and elsewhere, as you'd suggested.

I've only been a member for a few days, and am slowly learning how to navigate this site.

You're also giving me the confidence to tackle it myself!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yes light creeping oil is the best. spray it before it gets too cold out and it will continue to work its way into all the cracks and crevices.

I prefer krown but any quality rustproofing oil will do the job

actually just picked up this gun yesterday, aiming to use it tomorrow will let you know how it goes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230915-122444_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230915-122444_Chrome.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
These products really do stop the rust unbelievably well. Get some ramps dyi, fluid film is a dream to work with, it is actually food grade product and is the most popular for this stuff. There are a couple work just as good, but the food grade and smell makes this an easy choice. Here is ram forum dyi fluid film bible thread.

Dont mess with the cans, invest in a setup that will put gallons on it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you get a nice plastic down my guess you can capture a lot of this, put it back up at a later date.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've done Waxoil on my current and last truck. It's relatively expensive up front (around $750 IIRC) but annual maintenance is something like $75. It does not wash/wear off except from abrasion like stone chips. My last truck is currently owned by my son, is 9 years old and looks new underneath. I think it has around 80k miles on it now.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
highly recommend the DIY version! this gun and wand kit performed flawlessly! 70$ plus 10 for the regulator ( if you can already regulate your line pressure you dont need this) it works best around 60psi. below that not enough pressure over 70ish it starts to not spray any product just air

50 for a gallon of krown at the local krown dealer. thankfully i was able to find it locally like that because my second choice was a gallon of fluid film but the cheapest i could find it was 99 at princess auto and thats not exactly local. 120 bucks for the same gallon at Canadian tire! must be made from organic leprechaun **** at that price i dont know lol

i used almost 2 litres of product but it could definitely be done with 1 to 1.5 litres depending on how far you go
so once you have the gun set up it will cost you like 20$ max a year to treat it (at 50$/gallon)
compared to 150 minimum per treatment when done at the place
(keep in mind all prices are in Canadian monopoly money)

Attachments

• IMG_20230917_191224.jpg
    IMG_20230917_191224.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230917_191217.jpg
    IMG_20230917_191217.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 6

Georges70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 7.2
Congratulations on your new 2023 RAM 1500! Corrosion protectio is crucial, especially in winter regions where salt is used to de-ice roads. The oiling option offere by NHoil seems interesting to preserve the bodywork. However, have you considered using a rust converter to complement this method? It could offer additional protection against corosion, particularly on sensitive and less accessible parts of the vehicle. Do you have any informaton on the compatibility of oiling with other anti-corrosion treatments or any feedbak regarding the effectiveness of this method in conditions similar to those in the Chicagoland area?

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes light creeping oil is the best. spray it before it gets too cold out and it will continue to work its way into all the cracks and crevices.

I prefer krown but any quality rustproofing oil will do the job

actually just picked up this gun yesterday, aiming to use it tomorrow will let you know how it goes
Hemihustlin...
I tried searching for the Rodac gun, and everywhere I look says out of stock. Do you have a resource for it?
Thx

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
All 3 vehicles we have have been Krown'd. Even though Krown does not fare well in the Project Farm YT video, I prefer it for it's "creep" ability initially especially internal to the rockers and between the inner and outer panels on the pickup bed. Whichever way you go be sure to pull the tail lights out and spray between the bed panels.