One Man's Way of Doing Child Seats in the Quad/Crew Cabs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Since this topic just came up in the "What'd ya do to your 4th Gen this week?" thread I might as well post this in here. This way if anyone else finds the way I do these useful it'll put you on the right path. The reply I posted there follows.

I thought I'd shared these in here back in February 2017 but apparently I only shared them w our club. At any rate, fold the seat up, removing both main and the middle headrests, stowing them under in the understorage (or garage). You're gonna first lay a couple pieces of really good cardboard aside so you can trace a little wider than the seat cushion inset profile. Remove your drawing and go over to your tailgate and cut out the template. Flip your finalized template/drawing over after cutting it out and you have a left and right supporting structure. Lay your fabric (in this case an Army/Navy Blanket courtesy of Grandpa from the 1960's) so it hangs about 4-5 inches over and beyond the top of the seatback being mindful to not bury the 3rd-Strap Loops for the child seats. Lay the seat out flat (unfolded) now. Place a towel down and begin tucking in the upper fabric (Army Blanket) being mindful to not bury the seat belts or child seat strap buckle (metal) loops. Once all is tucked in place your cardboard cutouts in the spots where the foam seat bottom is in main contact by the child seats to keep the weight spread out and reduce wear on the foam. You can see from image #1 why to do this step. These are the dimples/dents the child seats leave in the foam after a while. The foam eventually will come back to shape but in my case, needing these in here for easily another 4-6 years I want the seat foam to have a good fighting chance. Put a second towel over and tuck that in. Install the child seats as you normally would. If ya like then just take your truck to your local Highway Patrol, Fire, or Police Station (even an Ambulance Company or Hospital can do this, all responders are trained for this p.r./safety inspection stuff) to have them inspected for proper installation. At some point I will finally get a hold of either a grey Footsoldier or Swiss Army version so it looks more fansy-color-coordinated but for now a green blanket that survived a war and then 4 generations of family is fine w me.

39457684002_e9fa9b9ca2_k.jpg

24621417617_e7ee43fba1_k.jpg

39457680542_b942ff64e5_k.jpg

24621413887_400eb7eecf_k.jpg

24621445827_a10c72f381_k.jpg

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did similar to that in an armada my wife had several years ago
I suggest putting a sheet or something on the back part of the seat and put a layer of plastic on the bottom between the towels. Kids are messy , they spill and get stuff everywhere. The plastic will keep anything from soaking through to your seats.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did something similar in my truck. I layered old blankets and towels under their seats not only to catch messes but to prevent the seats from permanently denting the seat cushions.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I did similar to that in an armada my wife had several years ago
I suggest putting a sheet or something on the back part of the seat and put a layer of plastic on the bottom between the towels. Kids are messy , they spill and get stuff everywhere. The plastic will keep anything from soaking through to your seats.

i just took away the right to eat or drink in my truck, never had a mess lol

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is awsome the Mrs and I are planning for a kid and this will help, my only concern is not just the back seats but the backs of the front seats

SoCal Bomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Amazon and eBay has a wide arrange of kick mats for the backs of the front seats. I bought a pretty good set from autoanything.com. Belive me, they work great with my 5 and 2.5 year olds.

OP
OP
O.R.T.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i just took away the right to eat or drink in my truck, never had a mess lol

Which works fine and dandy most times. This way has been tested already. Lil'Man got an upset stomach on a trip, luckily the child seats clean up easily and only a little got on the passenger seat-back which also cleaned up easily since I treat them with ScotchGuard once a year.

Everyone else, thanks, glad to share the idea.