One nut loose...V06 Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I checked the jam nuts they refer to on the V06 recall. Of course, parts aren't available yet, but sure enough, one of the jam nuts was loose (driver side). Luckily the adjuster sleeve was tight and hasn't moved - there are marks from the factory on the sleeve and jam nuts.

If I had the tools, I'd have tightened it myself. But since I don't have the tools, I just dropped it off at the dealer and they're going to tighten it.

Just an FYI...if your truck is included on this recall, you might want to take a quick look.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I checked the jam nuts they refer to on the V06 recall. Of course, parts aren't available yet, but sure enough, one of the jam nuts was loose (driver side). Luckily the adjuster sleeve was tight and hasn't moved - there are marks from the factory on the sleeve and jam nuts.

If I had the tools, I'd have tightened it myself. But since I don't have the tools, I just dropped it off at the dealer and they're going to tighten it.

Just an FYI...if your truck is included on this recall, you might want to take a quick look.

Got a PIC and location exactly of these "JAM" nuts???

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I guess the part that is confusing me is that my 2018 isn't included int he recall, but is made the same way. What is the difference?

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here is the video I used. Easy to find, right under the front end.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I guess the part that is confusing me is that my 2018 isn't included int he recall, but is made the same way. What is the difference?

Hopefully they used better parts or welded them for the 2018+'s.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Hopefully they used better parts or welded them for the 2018+'s.
I can assure you they are not welded. I lifted my truck and had to adjust the steering, and they were not welded nor did they have loctite. They do now.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

My guess is the previous year trucks were not tightened down to the proper torque specs. It was discovered and the 18's are tightened at the factory correctly.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Suspect that the assembly defect was corrected and 2018 trucks have properly torqued nuts. I looked at my 2018 2500 and saw that there are either factory or dealer check marks on the sleeve and nuts.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
My guess is the previous year trucks were not tightened down to the proper torque specs. It was discovered and the 18's are tightened at the factory correctly.

Suspect that the assembly defect was corrected and 2018 trucks have properly torqued nuts. I looked at my 2018 2500 and saw that there are either factory or dealer check marks on the sleeve and nuts.

From what i can tell, I believe the factory nuts were jumping threads when torqued....Almost like the hardware was incorrectly sized. My 2018 did have witness marks from the factory. I know mine aren't going anywhere.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From what i can tell, I believe the factory nuts were jumping threads when torqued....Almost like the hardware was incorrectly sized. My 2018 did have witness marks from the factory. I know mine aren't going anywhere.

My 2016 had witness marks as well. While mine were not loose, when I went to adjust the steering after my level kit it didn't take much effort to loosen them that's for sure. They are tight now :)

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

On 2018+ they corrected the torque from the factory so that they dont loosen up until they are out of warranty.

:)

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
My 2018 is not included in the recall; just went and looked and all looks good. Not sure welding the nuts is a good idea, why not just replace the nut and torque them down? Guess that would Cost to much for FCA to handle. Better to screw the customer.

OP
OP
O

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2018 is not included in the recall; just went and looked and all looks good. Not sure welding the nuts is a good idea, why not just replace the nut and torque them down? Guess that would Cost to much for FCA to handle. Better to screw the customer.

FCA is saying “Parts aren’t available yet” so they may replace everything.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
FCA is saying “Parts aren’t available yet” so they may replace everything.

Honestly, that is their generic answer for any issue that they don't have an answer for. Basically they are trying to figure out the way forward, whether it is parts, re-torque, or just inspect.

I think part of this getting people to bring trucks in now is to get an idea of how many are really loose and can they just re-torque them and be fine.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Fully agree. Waiting for a well supported "we figured out what caused this" is smart for us. No risk if we keep an eye on that part and do not let the jam nuts get loose. Welding the jam nuts is a BS panic answer.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I haven't received anything in the mail, but got a notice today on my monthly "vehicle health report" for the v06 recall on my 2018 2500. I'll get under there and check it myself, because I don't want them welding a part that may need to be adjusted in the future. I'll ask my friend who is an fca tech about it and see exactly what the dealer is doing.

Last edited:

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Is this turnbuckle an adjustment for something in the steering? Or is it just a quick, easy way to connect the left and right steering linkage?

Is it just me, or do the threads look very shallow and almost too fine for the amount of force and shock the steering encounters. It looks to be an easy-to-strip thread with just enough force.

If it's purposely made as an adjustable piece in order to, perhaps keep the front wheels pointing the same direction with the same angle of attack, then welding it may just be trading one problem for another.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I haven't received anything in the mail, but got a notice today on my monthly "vehicle health report" for the v06 recall on my 2018 2500. I'll get under there and check it myself, because I don't want them welding a part that may need to be adjusted in the future. I'll ask my friend who is an fca tech about it and see exactly what the dealer is doing.

Neither have I. The guys on the Cummins forum (there is a dealer over there) say the weld is temporary until new parts are available.

This is fairly scary stuff. I took a look at mine the nut is loose, backed away from the collar, and there are no paint marks on the nut or collar.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The adjustment on the drag link is only for centering the steering wheel during an alignment. The jam nuts are loosened and the long hex sleeve is turned to make the drag link longer or shorter.

The parts do have fine threads, as with any steering component, in order to be able to make fine adjustments. As to the depth of the threads--it may be a case of out of spec threads on the drag link, jam nuts, or both

Here's mine. It has a blue X on both jam nuts but no paint line going across all the parts like other pictures I've seen.

20190324_081733.jpg

Last edited: